• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Plastic tank swell and blisters

Drywall screw have lots of sharp edges, so while shaking the tank around to clean it out they rough up the internal surface. Gives the epoxy a better chance to bond to the inside of the tank..
Many years ago I sealed an aluminum tank with Creem. The tank should have been etched first. Down the road the Creem (a product of the day) started coming off in big flakes! So good prep is key.

Drywall screw have lots of sharp edges, so while shaking the tank around to clean it out they rough up the internal surface. Gives the epoxy a better chance to bond to the inside of the tank..
Many years ago I sealed an aluminum tank with Creem. The tank should have been etched first. Down the road the Creem (a product of the day) started coming off in big flakes! So good prep is key.

im just going to put the tank cover on. the paint is ruined. the first tank cover never stretched out to allow the motoguzzi emblems on the side to line up. i have a another tank cover that has no windows.

Attachments

• -5183860591394138742_121.jpg
    -5183860591394138742_121.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 18
Follow up to previous post: The tank sat in our crawlspace for 3 months with a computer fan pushing air through it at 68 degF.
Last spring the small bumps were all gone. We use a heat pump, so 68F was the temperature all through the house. Caswell has very specific instructions. Pay attention to the temp of the tank and epoxy before treating. 68F proved to be a bit low. This made the epoxy thicker than ideal. 72F would probably be better, but you get less time to work with. Inside the tank it flowed very slowly, but it gave me 1-1/2 hrs of working time before it stopped flowing, so I think I got good coverage after all.
The tank found it's old shape again, and the bumps (mine were not blisters, but visible in the right light) are gone. Persuasion to get the rear tank bolt in is minimal. I consider this a success and well worth the effort.

Imdamnpressive.

As I likely mentioned somewhere "up there" in previous posts in this thread, I never sealed my tank -- too lazy; too skeered :giggle: -- but had two tanks and took annual turns R&R'ing those after rinsing (and rinsing and rinsing), then airdrying until that tank's turn. Same result as you report, but not permanent as the bumps, blister, and swelling returned.

My two "plastic tank" Guzzis are in other younger hands now, so irrelevant to me now, but I admire your industry and courage. Good for you.

Best,

Bill

Back