• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

R18 mess

James Guffman

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
GT Famiglia
Remember, never judge model appeal by USA sales.

We are literally the smallest market for Moto Guzzi in the world.

All the 1400’s sold very well in Europe and the other major markets, like Australia.
I wonder how BMW is going with their R18 Cruiser experiment. They seem to be heavily discounted.

Not very well. Reviews were not very encouraging. Lots of leftovers available with deep discounts. Too bad, they could have had a winner with some more work.
kk

I think they had a real winner with the ORIGINAL CONCEPT bike, then the bean counters got involved and the rest is history…

There is a reason why the most iconic motorcycles in history were the ones build as originally designed instead of the “practical” version the bean counters always screw it up to.

I am a long time Mopar guy. In the late 50's and very early 60's the designers didn't talk to the engineers and none talked to the financial people. Exner was president and in charge of design and he dictated what the cars would look like and didn't care how they got built. Finance cheaped out all around and the end results looked good but the rest was horrible. Exner lost his mind with the '61's and was let go. It took years to get back on track. It kind of looks like this is what happened to the R18's. The company has tweaked them but probably too little too late. I talked to a guy a few weeks ago who was touring on one. He wasn't real thrilled with it and was planning on replacing it with something else. Eurocycle in Vegas has a few with some major discounts.
kk

I have ridden BMW’s my whole life and I own a HP2, R100 Classic and a K1600GT.

I wouldn’t buy that butt ugly thing if it was $5,000 brand new.

It’s just disgusting. 🤮

Besides, those of us who have been BMW dealers, remember the dreaded R1200C and the ridiculous flavors they tried, and failed miserably with.

Classic, Avanteguard, Montauk, Euro Cruiser, Phoenix, CL, CLC…Ugh…🤮🤮🤮🤦‍♂️

We all knew that the hideously ugly R18 was a dud and DOA.🧐🤮🤮🤮

I will keep my R1150RS as long as I can ride, but will not be buying any new BMWs. I thought the R18 would be a dud when I first read about and my opinion went down further the first time I saw one.

1150 was the best platform BMW ever built for the flat twin engine. Bulletproof reliability.

I absolutely loved my 1150GS.

Back