Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Radial Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PepperoniBros.

PepperoniBros. Tuned and Synch'ed

Stock Milano, if you look at enough V7iii's you will see a few like this, different position of the lugs on the fork leg maybe?

Wildroamer likes this.
  2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

No way, no how. ;)
    Only non-stock tires would produce this. That and the steel fender has a much slimmer profile from the side compared to the plastic one. Random images below. Also, will split or delete these from this radial tire thread.

v7-III-Milano.jpg

v7-III-Milano2.jpg

3. Louisv97

Louisv97 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I would run some of these conti's if they offered taller rear tires. I commute in the mornings at traffic speed(80-90mph), and the 130/90 makes my V7 buzz a little less. I can feel/hear the rpm difference from a 130/80.

Wildroamer likes this.
  4. HarrierGod

HarrierGod Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I’ve been riding on Avon Storm 3Dxm the past ~year. Seems like a good radial that comes in Roamer sizes.
    I went 110/80/19 up front. They ride nice and are wearing better than the Pirelli Demons.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  5. AZRider

AZRider Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Are there any additional options entering the market, especially anything for the Breva750 with radial 110/70-17 front and 130/80-17 rear stock sizes?

I love the sound of the RAIII reports, but I was considering something in a lower price point since my wife rides barely 2,000 miles a year these days, and a longer-lasting tire might age out before it wore out. I saw the Continental Conti-Motion and the Shinko 880-881, but both only offer 140/70 rear.

All of this got me to thinking about radials for my California EV based "1100S" and wondering how radials work on Tonti-frame bikes. I assume Todd is the leading expert on that question, with his Jackal experience.

6. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Get the RA3's and ride her bike, too!

GTM® and Mayakovski like this.
  7. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Exactly, I got an RA3 for the rear last summer and I cannot believe how much better the ride is. Smoother, more stable, turn in is quicker and she stays on a line upright or cornering much better. Not just control and such either, but he ride quality itself, almost like putting on better shocks. Hits from expansion joints no longer jolt me half off the seat, just a gentle bump and it's over. I used to have a sore tail bone from hits on the stock Pirelli's, but that no longer happens at all on the RA3.

Perhaps the ride and comfort improvement will encourage her to ride more. I ride more and farther, now that I have an RA3 on the back. First thing this riding season is an RA3 on the front. And then ridding my butt off this summer. :)

GTM® likes this.
  8. GTM®

The RA3 is available in the B750 sizes. The trade-off for a cheaper tire (to me), isn’t worth it, even for a bike ridden a few times/year.
    My first set of available radials went on my Jackal in 2001 or so, and I never looked back. I was gutted when they discontinued my all time favorite Dunlop D205P- P stood for Police, super-stiff sidewalls, pretty much run-flats. Once those vanished, I laced up a new set of 17” wheels for even more modern rubber. Run radials on every bike you can.
    I’m kind of curious as to why anyone would think any bike wouldn’t benefit from modern radials(?). Black magic. ;)

PepperoniBros. likes this.
  9. PepperoniBros.

PepperoniBros. Tuned and Synch'ed

When I could no longer get V rated tires for my V7 Sport Bonneville race bike I had Woody's Wheel Works in Denver make me a set of tubeless Excel rims so that I could run radials. They worked great out on the salt but on the street the difference was night and day, it went from being a 70's Sportspile and became a fine handling, good riding, machine, the difference was dramatic. Get those radials! E8D76380-D729-4805-A9A2-3D83858FB825.jpeg FAE7EEDB-186D-4783-ACE6-9DF84C6751AE.jpeg

GerryAZ, DeadEye, SMTCapeCod and 3 others like this.
  10. Mark Baker

Mark Baker Just got it firing!

Todd , what brands of inner tubes can you recommend when fitting Conti RA3’s radials and any sizing difference going with the 110/80/18 V tires ?

11. Miguel Gomes

Miguel Gomes Tuned and Synch'ed

By reading the suggestions on this forum about the continental RA3, I decided to try them also. Ok, my pirelli sport demons were shot at 10000 km, but, what a difference. Way more comfortable ride, even with higher tire pressures, the tires dont follow the crevices (road snakes?), and the bike gives much more confidence. What a great upgrade.

12. Mel Sparks

Mel Sparks Just got it firing!

Tires are pretty thin up in Ontario,Canada,does anyone know if a 110/90 tire can be substituted for a 100/90 front tire on a 2013 Stone. Not sure if it will fit. Many Thanks

13. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Wouldn't advise it. My experience of an oversize tyre on the front of a Guzzi really screwed up the handling.

Stradagene likes this.
  14. GTM®

Hi Mel, welcome to the GT Forum. I would encourage you to search each section before starting a new topic. Most questions have been extremely well covered here. Your tire size search would've landed you in this thread of ~14 pages. Please be sure to read the paragraphs in red above.

15. Mel Sparks

Thanks for the info,I’ll wait for the right size.
    Mel

16. Mel Sparks

Will do! Mel

17. Walter Glaser

Walter Glaser Just got it firing!

Hi guys, I'm going to upgrade the tires on my v7 iii racer to Conti RA 3s.

I understand you can fit the Pirelli sportscomp 150 on the rear, so I'm wondering if the Conti RA 150 will fit on the rear?

18. DeadEye

DeadEye GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

One thing i've found is just because it says 150 its might not REALLY be 150mm ... maybe more, maybe less :( it will vary by manufacturers.
    ( or what ever the number is... )

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  19. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT di Razza Pura

The requisite OEM size tire is listed as 130/80-17. I don't know who said you can fit a 150/80-17.

Where did you get this information from because my cross reference guide here at the shop says
    a 150/80-17 tire must have a 3.50" - 4.00" rim.

Permissible Rim Widths / Metric / Standard Inch
    2.15, 2.50, 2.75 / 120 mm / 4.75
    2.50, 2.75, 3.00 / 130 mm / 5.00
    2.75, 3.00, 3.50 / 140 mm / 5.50
    3.50, 4.00 / 150 mm / 6.00

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  20. GTM®

Scott, the guys that run the Fast Endurance Series in Europe use a 150.
    @Walter Glaser - you would have to compare the tire width specs between the Pirelli and Conti RA3 to see what the stated tire width is. In my experience, a 140/70 with a 3.75 Kineo wheel is pushing the limit in width on the stock swingarm. Conti makes a 150/70-17, which is likely wider than the Pirelli. If it fits, let us know, but as Scott states above, the rim is not really designed for it.

scottmastrocinque likes this.