• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Early V7 Radial Tire Thread

Before anyone yells at me, I did search the forum for a tire discussion and didn't find what I was looking for. I am replacing the tires on my 2016 V7 II Racer. My #1 criteria is good/consistent grip in colder weather.
I merged your post with this radial tire thread. 15 pages talking about tires. ;)
Best tire out there to date Conti Road Attack 3s, 110/80-18ZR, 130/80-17R (150/60-17 for the V7-850 only). Questions from there are all well covered above.

I've been looking into getting some Conti RA3s recently and the rear tyre seems to be unavailable from the four or five suppliers I've checked in France and the UK. The only other radial I can find in front and rear sizes for the V7 is the Bridgestone Battlax A41 that someone mentioned here, but that seems to be partly for off-road use.

I've been looking into getting some Conti RA3s recently and the rear tyre seems to be unavailable from the four or five suppliers I've checked in France and the UK. The only other radial I can find in front and rear sizes for the V7 is the Bridgestone Battlax A41 that someone mentioned here, but that seems to be partly for off-road use.
My biggest U.S. Distributor is now showing them as DISCONTINUED. My other large Distributor is showing them as restock arriving 12/30/22 -- I won't hold my breath. I hope that the RA4 is released in a 130/80 soon if it is in fact discontinued. In a pinch, the Continental Trail Attack 3 (also a 90/10 ADV tire like the A41) is virtually the same tire (construction) with a deeper tread for greater mileage. I'd say grab one while you can. You won't go wrong with either brand or type.

generally the OE's use cheaper tyres from the lowest bidder + even seen that some manufacturers-triumph had a decent tyre built for them with LESS rubber to meet their price point! i always use Radials + among various manufacturers the specifics can vary as softer compounds for better handling + overall performance or a longer lasting tyre with not as good performance. with tyres its one or the other, + i prefer better handling as it can save an OPS + braking performance is MOST important for sure. Radials generally ride better because they are more flexible + tyre tech continually improves BUT be prepared to pay a little more for better tyres!

For us Bobber owners (Stock Dunlop D404's,130/90-16fr, 150/80-16 rr) are the Shinko 777's still the best upgrade for maximum traction or is there something better? Looking to upgrade whenever my suspension upgrades arrive from Italy.

I have my mind set on a set of the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires for my ’22 V7 850 Stone (alloy rims) but am having a hard time finding the front tire size I want to go with, the 110/80 R 18 M/C 58H M+S TL, which is listed on their website. They also list one other 18 inch front tire, a 120/70 R 18 M/C 59V M+S TL, that seems readily available. The rear tire I want is also readily available (150/70 R 17 M/C 69V M+S TL).

The manual for my V7 850 states that the front rim width is 2.5 inches. I’m reading various places that a 120/70r18 needs 3 inches.

I sent an email to Todd asking if he could import the front 110/80 R 18 M/C 58H M+S TL, so I’ll see what he says. But if he can’t get it, would the 120/70 R 18 M/C 59V M+S TL be okay?

Regards,

Daniel

Todd, @GTM® What do you have available for my 2016 V7 Racer? I'm striking out on finding the top recommended tires from this thread in my size (Front 100/90-18 - Rear 130/80/17).
A key feature for me is cool weather and wet traction so I can start my season early and end it late in New England. Thanks

What do you have available for my 2016 V7 Racer? I'm striking out on finding the top recommended tires from this thread in my size (Front 100/90-18 - Rear 130/80/17). A key feature for me is cool weather and wet traction so I can start my season early and end it late in New England.
As mentioned in your PM to me on Sunday, email is always best; Sales @GTMotoCycles.com -- as I cannot see every post here, and tagging me or calling me out is not OK.
While I'm here at this moment, I can get both the sizes (110/80-18 Fr - 130/80-17 Rr) and brand (Conti RA3) that I highly recommend at this moment in time. They seem to be drying up. Email me if you want a set.

Before anyone yells at me, I did search the forum for a tire discussion and didn't find what I was looking for. I am replacing the tires on my 2016 V7 II Racer. My #1 criteria is good/consistent grip in colder weather. I'm aware I will have to compromise awesome grip in hot weather but I'm not out there racing. I would prefer the consistency through out the year. I live in new England and like to start riding as soon as the salt is washed away in the Spring and keep going until the snow fly's, even if that is December. This leaves me open to the surprise of some slide on ultra cold or wet days if the compound has a highly variable grip based on temperature. In my recent research I found that the Michelin Road 6 (silica bonded rubber) has a super consistent grip through a broad temperature range. I haven't had luck finding them in my size 100/90/18. and 130/80/17. Anyone else out there live in colder/wet areas and have a favorite tire I should look into? Thanks, Adam
I live in Quebec and ride from March to end of November on my 2017 v7iii stone. I am currently on my second set of Continental road attack 3's. I find them superior to the OEM Pirelli's for wet and cold riding and they last twice as long. On the first set I got over 20,000 km on the rear and 30,000 km on the front.

Garth

"Sadly the best tire out there (Conti RA3) is drying up."
Why does this always seem to happen when I find the right tire????
It’s the biggest head-scratcher to me, as most tires live on for years with successors in place. I hope they release these sizes with the RA4, but so far it’s not showing. I’m trying to get some intel from my Conti Tire Rep.

Reactions: Van
For us Bobber owners (Stock Dunlop D404's,130/90-16fr, 150/80-16 rr) are the Shinko 777's still the best upgrade for maximum traction or is there something better? Looking to upgrade whenever my suspension upgrades arrive from Italy.
I second this question!

I second this question!
Since nobody here either knows or was kind enough to reply... research revealed that the only radial tires in 16 in were the high-mileage type. Since I only ride on twisty mountain roads 25 miles/ride wanted as sticky and light as possible as possible (as steering is heavy even w/ forks dropped 25 mm and fully adj susp). So I went with Metler Roadtec 01, a tire specifically designed for lighter cruisers, they make a Cruisetec for heavier ones but which lasts longer but is heavier. Ripped those D404's off @ 900 miles, have appx 1000 miles on this set, expect they will last about 2500miles which is fine for my use.

I have a lot of right hand decreasing radius blind turns where you have to stay about 1 foot off that white line so I trail brake the rear to help tighten up my line. Don't know if it's just me but have 2800 miles on bike and just put the 3nd set of rear brake pads plus a new rotor, front pads look fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 11
Hey, that’s a lot of wear for not many miles, my dirt bikes goes through knoby’s that fast if I do a lot of street riding,
The Pirelli's were on the V7 from new for over 10k ! and I’ve only replaced the rear and that was GTM « Fault » with the new exhaust the bike sounds so Great , I was getting carried away with the aggressive down shifts :) - Ok maybe i was responsible a bit.
The front is still original at 20K - but it will be time for a new one very soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpeg
    IMG_2854.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Since nobody here either knows or was kind enough to reply... research revealed that the only radial tires in 16 in were the high-mileage type. Since I only ride on twisty mountain roads 25 miles/ride wanted as sticky and light as possible as possible (as steering is heavy even w/ forks dropped 25 mm and fully adj susp). So I went with Metler Roadtec 01, a tire specifically designed for lighter cruisers, they make a Cruisetec for heavier ones but which lasts longer but is heavier. Ripped those D404's off @ 900 miles, have appx 1000 miles on this set, expect they will last about 2500miles which is fine for my use.

I have a lot of right hand decreasing radius blind turns where you have to stay about 1 foot off that white line so I trail brake the rear to help tighten up my line. Don't know if it's just me but have 2800 miles on bike and just put the 3nd set of rear brake pads plus a new rotor, front pads look fine.
Thanks for the reply! I was wanting to get something a bit more sport-touring - those might be a good fit! In your opinion, do they detract from the esthetics at all? The D404s are uninspiring performance-wise, but they do have a nice, retro appearance.

Last edited:
Back