• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Rear Hugger - a near miss?

Campagman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
My rear hugger met its end this morning :( .
Ridden about 180 miles from 5 am and approaching my exit on the M5 and I noticed white smoke from the back of the bike, not a lot, initially worst fear was the engine, but it felt fine.

Carried on and mile or so further on, a load more smoke, just before my exit, so got off the slip road and pulled over.
No sign of oil leaks but a strong smell of burning rubber.

Turned out the grp hugger had slipped forward and was seriously rubbing on the tyre while wedging itself against the swingarm.

Of the 2 brackets, the lower one was still there and the hole in the hugger was intact, the other bracket on the swing arm was twisted and locked the hugger in place. It was well jammed in.

Anyway the toolkit had the required spanner and allen key, so a few minutes later I managed to extract the melted hugger and launch it into the hedge (I'll pick it up later). The tyre was Ok but now looks like a well scrubbed in race tyre esp on the right side wall.

What could have happened - I guess the lower fixing had fallen out allowing the hugger to slip forward and get trapped.
Worst case - I guess would have for it to get pulled thru the tyre/swing arm gap and get spat out the back, I can't see a flimsy GRP hugger bring the bike down, I think it would just have been spat out and splintered up. I was doing motorway speeds.

I think I'll go with the rear shock protection described on an earlier post.

Been out this evening and the bike feels fine, especially without the panniers.

I had this happen on a Breva, although not quite as bad.

The bracket that bolts to the CARC was broken and the hugger was bouncing about.

Junked it and glued a flap of inner tube onto the battery box, worked a treat keeping the crap off the shock!

Just done the same and also on the rear to stop that spray off the back wheel

The front one fitted it quite easily, photos are on the centre stand with the end can removed.

Both using approx 4 mm rubber sheet that I got FOC from a rubber factor as a off cut.

Attachments

• IMG00036-20100825-1127.jpg
    IMG00036-20100825-1127.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG00038-20100825-1128.jpg
    IMG00038-20100825-1128.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG00041-20100825-1159.jpg
    IMG00041-20100825-1159.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 383
Back