• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Regrets selling V7 Special for V100 Mandello?

Skyflyer

Just got it firing!
Salem, Oregon, United States of America (the)
I recently bought a new 2023 V7 Special Red Stripe about 5 weeks ago and already have 1,350 miles on it as I have no intention of just keeping it as a "garage queen." (1st service completed by dealer at 900 miles). I really enjoy the bike and the fact that I can maintain it (after warranty) on my own. It is a relatively simple design (dry clutch, air-cooled, sufficient electronics for my needs, but not overwhelming, etc.) which is a good thing for an amateur home "mechanic."

I did my due research prior to buying my beloved V7 Special, but after spending a few afternoons on 110+ mile journeys and preparing for some upcoming over-nighters (about 300 mile) trips, I am wondering if I should have bought the V100 Madello, as I can see the virtues of that bike for extended journeys, which will come more and more with warmer PNW (USA) weather.

I thought (re: buying the V7 Special) that my riding would be more like my riding when I was working as an airline pilot and had only a few days off each week to do a 45-60 ride to unwind from travels. I thought I'd be doing the typical 60 minute ride with a buddy, or maybe head to a coffee shop or restaurant to enjoy some drink/food and do a little reading, etc. Instead, in retirement, I find that I am enjoying that, but more and more extended riding and after a few 100+ milers I'm wanting to go much further. There's a whole lot of world out there to see, from the ground...haha! I fully plan to do the Hwy 101 west coast route this summer. In reality, I could do that on my V7 Special, but I might enjoy doing a 3,000 mile trip more on a V100 Mandello! In reality, I need two bikes, but that is a no-go, for a number of reasons.

My main concern with buying the Mandello, is the relative lack of Guzzi dealers in the western USA, and with more complexity in systems, the possibility of more parts/system failures, keeping in mind that I will most likely be my own mechanic. I'm not trying to talk myself out of a perfectly fine motorcycle, but have any of you sold your V7 850 for a V100 Mandello and regretted it? Even if you haven't gone that route, do you have any input to help me be more settled in my decision as to whether just keep and enjoy my current bike or to "upgrade" to the Mandello to "stretch my (riding) legs." Thank you!

Last edited:
Maybe compromise and get the V85tt instead of the V100 as it's air cooled. That said although I have had more than one bike in the past I'm of the belief that any bike can do long trips. A mate of mine who owned several bikes including a Harley, once went round Europe on a Honda C90.

Last edited:
Dude, stop F%ing around.
To put it in terms you will understand, you are currently on a de Havilland Twin Otter; awesome -no doubt about it.
However, put yourself in the seat of a new Stelvio and you will transition over to the realm of a Piaggio P180 Avanti.

Yes, a tad more complicated to maintain - guess what, this is not rocket science. Every single piece of tech on the new Stelvio is at least 25 years old, if not more. Sure, you may need to expand your repertoire in order to feel as confident servicing it as a tree shade mechanic. You are retired, nothing better than to bend your mind toward such a task.

The new Stelvio will satisfy you at so many levels.

I’m not calling you yellow if you don’t, but you are the one asking the question…

Sorry I meant the V85TT....
OK. Yes you're right a V85TT makes for a very nice all around bike including traveling longer distance on. I have the version with top load metal panniers and when I add a dry bag and small tent on the back seat/rack it's everything I need. Enough power, great carrying capacity, tubeless tires, large tank, and cruise control.
Of course a new V100 Mandello or Stelvio would work too......

Good luck with your decision… you wouldn’t go wrong with any of the comments👍😁.

My $.02 … I had a ‘15 Norge and traded it in (along with a Pristine ‘06 Ducati ST3S) for a Mandello V100S. No regrets. I am where you are headed - retired, and taking longer trips than the working man day rides. in fact, I just finished a two day 450 miler on some great roads with three buds (a brief Road Report elsewhere here in the forum)… but, my point here is that the V100 is a capable bike for rides like that (the V100 “fits” me better than the taller bikes, so another consideration). Panniers, a tank bag, and a taller (than stock) screen, and you’re set for a few nights! And, the ride will be comfortable (unless you are long legged😉), and definitely fun😁. At this stage of our lives, time’s a wastin’!

Good luck with your decision… you wouldn’t go wrong with any of the comments👍😁.

My $.02 … I had a ‘15 Norge and traded it in (along with a Pristine ‘06 Ducati ST3S) for a Mandello V100S. No regrets. I am where you are headed - retired, and taking longer trips than the working man day rides. in fact, I just finished a two day 450 miler on some great roads with three buds (a brief Road Report elsewhere here in the forum)… but, my point here is that the V100 is a capable bike for rides like that (the V100 “fits” me better than the taller bikes, so another consideration). Panniers, a tank bag, and a taller (than stock) screen, and you’re set for a few nights! And, the ride will be comfortable (unless you are long legged😉), and definitely fun😁. At this stage of our lives, time’s a wastin’!
Thanks BDS! I'm just 5'-8" with a 30" inseam. My V7 Special "just" allows both feet on the ground, almost flat-footed. Feel absolutely confident at this seat height. Not sure if I could handle the Stelvio safely and confidently (re: seat height). I did sit on the V100 Mandello with both the standard seat and the lower heated seat (I believe) and could handle that, but barely.

Reactions: BDS
JMHO, keep the V7 one year. If you sell it now, you will regret it. Right now, a V85 with a lower shock and the forks raised to the fourth line works great for my stubby 28" legs. The 22-23 are a solid, proven products, as is the v7 series. The V85 is about as great of a long distance traveler as there is made today.
The V100 series needs a couple of more years to work out all the bugs.

Having just returned from a several thousand mile trip with 9 others, including Vagrant above, I can give you my observations.

I rode my GIGANTIC 1200 Stelvio NTX. Several others rode V85TT’s, there was a 1200 Sport, a Triumph 1200 Trophy Sport, and yes, a couple V7-850’s.

When we rode last year, there were 2 V85TT’s and I rode my BMW K1200GT.

I tell you, I was absolutely blown away at just how competent the 850 engine is! None of the others had any discernible issues running with the group at any speed or road conditions. None. Every single time I looked in my mirror, there was Larry on his V7-850. What does this tell you?

The 850 platform truly impressed me.

Honestly if I had to choose between a V85TT and a V7-850, I would choose the V7 every day and twice on Sunday!

The allure of the simplicity of a standard style motorcycle that is lightweight, low to the ground, easy to mount and dismount, has sensible and very comfortable ergonomics, and provides for a large bench seat to move around on as well as the flattest profile to mount an additional bag across the seat and side cases, is just too powerful of an argument to ignore.

I think you chose wisely.

I own a V100S Mandello. Why didn’t I take it on this trip?

Honestly, because in less than 1000 miles, it has been in the Moto Guzzi service department 6 times for various recall and campaign issues.

It is UNRELIABLE to this day and I simply do not trust it yet. Until I can get 10 solid, event-free rides around my home of 100+ miles duration, I will not take it on a real road trip.

The V100 is an amazing creation but it is not without its issues.

Also, the riding posture will never be as comfortable on the V100 as it is on your V7-850.

Please listen to me here. I am a retired motorcycle mechanic with a lifetime of wrenching experience.

You have a much simpler, more reliable engine, that as you correctly stated, you will be able to work on yourself. You will not have that at all if you jump to a V100S Mandello. You will be MARRIED to a dealer service department FOREVER. Period.

More importantly, there is NOTHING you can do on a V100S Mandello that you cannot do on your current V7. Nothing…except 0-100mph a little faster. Big whoop-de-doo! 😆

At this stage in our lives, it’s not about blistering acceleration, it’s about the journey and the joy of the ride. It’s about enjoying being out in the open connecting with the surroundings like you never can in a car. It’s about comfort and rugged simplicity.

Finally, you will loose THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to switch. Not to mention sales tax! It is not worth it. Not at all. Truly.

I agree with Vagrant. Sit pat. Ride your V7-850. Feel confident in your initial impressions that brought you to purchase it in the first place. You choose CORRECTLY for you and your needs and desires. I know you cannot see it but I tell you with 100% honesty, that your motorcycle is a highly capable continent crosser should you wish to do so on her. Trust in her abilities.

I think you will discover a new love affair that you will truly enjoy. I’d bet $$$ on it. 👌👍✌️😁

Best wishes!

P.S. - This is Larry, a retired Naval Aviator Captain, who rode from Florida, to VA, to KY, to WI, to IA, to IN and now is riding back with Bill Hagan to VA and back to FL. He had zero issues riding with us everywhere.

I was so impressed by his motorcycle and the conversations I had with George (Vagrant) about his two V7’s that he owns, that I am seriously contemplating adding one to my collection of 20 motorcycles. I am really impressed!

You chose very well! 👍😁

IMG_4399.jpeg

Last edited:
As much as I love my V100 S I'm seriously considering swapping to a Tiger 1200 or 1250\1300 GS. I haven't had any reliability issues, but there are no dealers in my state as the only one stopped working with Moto Guzzi over getting parts and warranty issues. I also had surgery on my arm this year and the riding position puts too much weight on wrist now, causing a sharp pain in my wrist after 30 minutes or so. (this will probably clear up as it finishes healing over the next 3-6 months)

I've also had a bit of a love affair with the FJR 1300 and this might be it's last year being produced. Not bad looking and about as reliable as a hammer.

We'll see what happens, I really do love riding my v100s and the looks are great.

Sky, ^^ What Scott said, especially about being at the mercy of dealer/service. And he's dammed good wrench!

I put a couple thousand miles on my "S" last month, all the good twisties in northern Cali.
Worked great as a sport tour bike, really appreciated the cruise control on long highway runs. Horn fell off cause the lower radiator mounting screws were loose/stripped/gone. Fixed that on an Indian reservation, Helicoils when I got home.

But been waiting for parts for a month, no stock in Oregon/Washington of parts. Coolant leak, clutch seals, loose/stripped/missing screws, oil pan leak, etc. Very thin on timely service here in Oregon. All bikes have their quirks (like their owners) but my view right now is the bike is sketchy on reliability, have a AAA+ card in your wallet! Not a simple bike to work on at home, can do it if skilled; you got an A & P ticket, then go at it. My concern is the sweet part of riding season will be gone and we're into forest fire time before this stuff gets addressed by the only dealer in the state. And...what good is a warranty if you can't get parts in a timely manner? Warranty just burns up waiting for parts.

Not sure it will be going to national rally end of the month, may go on a Honda!

Drop by sometime if you want to try it back to back with your ride and discuss, I'm retired engineer/racer/trackday promoter.

Best regards,
Al

JMHO, keep the V7 one year. If you sell it now, you will regret it. Right now, a V85 with a lower shock and the forks raised to the fourth line works great for my stubby 28" legs. The 22-23 are a solid, proven products, as is the v7 series. The V85 is about as great of a long distance traveler as there is made today.
The V100 series needs a couple of more years to work out all the bugs.
Thanks so much!

Sky, ^^ What Scott said, especially about being at the mercy of dealer/service. And he's dammed good wrench!

I put a couple thousand miles on my "S" last month, all the good twisties in northern Cali.
Worked great as a sport tour bike, really appreciated the cruise control on long highway runs. Horn fell off cause the lower radiator mounting screws were loose/stripped/gone. Fixed that on an Indian reservation, Helicoils when I got home.

But been waiting for parts for a month, no stock in Oregon/Washington of parts. Coolant leak, clutch seals, loose/stripped/missing screws, oil pan leak, etc. Very thin on timely service here in Oregon. All bikes have their quirks (like their owners) but my view right now is the bike is sketchy on reliability, have a AAA+ card in your wallet! Not a simple bike to work on at home, can do it if skilled; you got an A & P ticket, then go at it. My concern is the sweet part of riding season will be gone and we're into forest fire time before this stuff gets addressed by the only dealer in the state. And...what good is a warranty if you can't get parts in a timely manner? Warranty just burns up waiting for parts.

Not sure it will be going to national rally end of the month, may go on a Honda!

Drop by sometime if you want to try it back to back with your ride and discuss, I'm retired engineer/racer/trackday promoter.

Best regards,
Al
Great wisdom (and experience) to consider. I really appreciate it. What is it about humans (me) that as soon as we get X, we want Y because it's newer, bigger, shinier, faster....fill in the blank. I actually love my V7, just felt some immediate limitations, but I have no doubt I can fix much of what happens to her, if not on the road, at home. Yes on the AAA+ card!

Great wisdom (and experience) to consider. I really appreciate it. What is it about humans (me) that as soon as we get X, we want Y because it's newer, bigger, shinier, faster....fill in the blank. I actually love my V7, just felt some immediate limitations, but I have no doubt I can fix much of what happens to her, if not on the road, at home. Yes on the AAA+ card!
I've been wanting 'Y' since 2008, when I bought my Breva 1100 and I'm still not free of it. I find the best cure is to ride my bike more!

Keep the V7, it is a pure motorcycle and one of a kind. To complete your needs buy another one ;-). I did it exactly this way, I sold my V100 S as it did not fulfill my expectations and bought a V7. The second bike is now new Stelvio and TBH for me it is way better than V100 in every aspect, so the combo of old school and new school Guzzi seems to be optimal for my current life stage and needs and I have to say that I am very happy about it. But V7 is the bike I want to keep as long as possible. ;-)

obrázek_2024-06-04_101858943.png

Back