• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Repeatable air in rear brake line

NPS

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Breva 1100
I replaced the rear brake master 18 months ago. I have a recurring problem with the rear brake pedal going soft over a month. On bleeding, air always is there after about 6 pumps. Not initially. So Im thinking it is not the slave as the air would be ready to pop out on first bleed. I have no oil leaks. Im wondering if there new master could be faulty with damaged cylinder or seals.
Has anyone had something similar or have any ideas?

ABS? If not take caliper off & reroute to have lines go up caliper on a stool, bleed on top w/wrench between pads. Helps to tap on lines especially by elbows & joints. That way trapped air bubbles come loose & go up above where master & reservoir are located.
I use a power bleeder connected to air compressor on models w/side by side pistons cause passage holes are smaller than older Tonti models.
On your master make sure the piston comes all the way back at end of stroke, otherwise holes don't line up inside.

My '08 Norge does this too.

I haven't replaced anything yet, but I can't keep my rear brake working either, it goes soft and spongy after a month or so like you describe. it wasn't like this the first 2 years I owned it (I bought it used).

There should be a little bit of play on end of stroke with the linkage. It helps to tap on the lines and elbows when bleeding in case a bubble gets stuck.

I have a 2009 Norge with the dodgy soft spongy rear brake. When it gets soft and spongy I hang a dumbbell from the pedal overnight and it firms it up again. Don’t know why this works but it does for a while anyway.

I'm having much better luck this time around after re-bleeding my rear brake. it seems that i just needed to pull some more fluid out to get more air to come out. it's holding now so far and grabs right at the top of the pedal.

Fact not opinion here... Fluid life/condition likely plays in here on older machines. Air can be caused due to temperature variations and overheating the fluid. Change the fluid annually as a minimum. Most bikes we see in my shop have never been changed since new. Even with new fluid, bikes that get a lot of rear brake exercise need bled monthly in my personal use and experience.

That's kind of the funny thing about this, i had replaced the brake fluid myself and that is when I started having this issue.

I'm chalking it up to me probably doing it wrong the first time...

That's kind of the funny thing about this, i had replaced the brake fluid myself and that is when I started having this issue. I'm chalking it up to me probably doing it wrong the first time...
Possibly... and if you changed the fluid, I'll up those odds. ;)

The cause was overheating. I wrapped a short section of the exhast near the box with fibre glass tape. Not had a problem since. I think I have dot4 fluid. Dot5 or 5plus have higher boiling points so a further option.

The cause was overheating. I wrapped a short section of the exhast near the box with fibre glass tape. Not had a problem since. I think I have dot4 fluid. Dot5 or 5plus have higher boiling points so a further option.

The Brembo brake system is not compatible with DOT 5 as far as I know.

Back