• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

*Ride Report* 7th Ever SWMO Wildgoose Chase Campout

rocker59

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Although it's only about 50 miles from home, I've never camped at Luap's SWMO Wildgoose Campout before. I've stopped by a couple times over the years, but for some reason I've always thought it was "too close". Mother's Day Weekend hasn't really helped. Luckily, though, this year was different and two nights of camping was in the cards!

The plan was to leave after work on Friday Afternoon and ride up to Anderson, taking the direct route of I-540 and US-71. My buddy, Andrew, showed up at my place about 5:30pm, and we headed across town to pick up Marcia just after 6:00pm.

Our big route to the rally: Map Link

My two riding buddies, Andrew and Marcia, getting ready to hit the road:
862506553_zBnvf-L.jpg

It was a pretty uneventful 70-80mph run up the highway to Anderson and the campout. We arrived and found a nice spot in between the Tulsa crew and the Missouri crew:
862506690_N2XLW-L.jpg

After setting up and fixing a drink, we wandered around the campground and found some familiar faces:
862506719_SBueJ-L.jpg

...and a great campfire with plenty of scrap from the local mill that needed burning:
862510887_S8KLz-L.jpg

Me, Johnny, Andrew:
862510783_CbdPt-L.jpg

By popular demand, Luap broke out the banjo and played a few tunes:
862510656_cGrSE-L.jpg

A couple of awe-struck bystanders enjoying Luap's banjo picking:
862510569_7LtN7-L.jpg

Me, Gordon, and Andrew discussing the finer points of banjo music, whiskey, and campfires:
862510550_FDNGa-L.jpg

There was a cold front that came through late Friday and the temps were falling. It turned into quite a cool night for May. The temp dipped below 40-degrees early Saturday Morning, if I'm not mistaken... Luap and LaSandra had the coffee on which made the cool temps more bearable. LaSandra also cooked up some mighty fine pancakes, eggs, and sausage for everyone! Great way to start the day!

After breakfast, we mingled a bit then decided to go for a little lunch ride. Andrew got a call from his work and, unfortunately had to pack it in. He would be working the rest of the weekend while we were playing. I asked around and Gordon thought a lunch ride sounded good. We picked a great route and a great place to eat. We would ride MO-59, MO-90, and MO-112 to Roaring River State Park and eat at The Inn & Conference Center.

Departing about 11am, Marcia, Gordon, and I topped off with fuel in Anderson then headed South on MO-59 towards Noel and some Missouri Ozarks curvy goodness...

Our route to Roaring River: Map Link

MO-59 South of Anderson:
862510471_77uYa-L.jpg

862510494_wj3fG-L.jpg

Arriving in Noel. The highway is sandwiched between the bluff and The Elk River:
862510263_U39td-L.jpg

One of the reasons this is no longer US-59:
862510219_TtaiU-L.jpg

Light traffic and beautiful scenery!
862510126_Uj4cj-L.jpg

862510107_Qx649-L.jpg

...and a fun road to ride:
862510074_GdkbH-L.jpg

862509979_sLin3-L.jpg

At our lunch stop, The Inn & Conference Center at Roaring River State Park:
862509876_FdXEr-L.jpg

862509871_LLayU-L.jpg

862509870_SJnfS-L.jpg

862509698_gsidS-L.jpg

From the park, we rode MO-112 up to Cassville, then MO-76 back to Anderson... Map Link

More great scenery on the way back to Anderson:
862509560_BKe2E-L.jpg

862509452_jhqAN-L.jpg

862509389_cZswM-L.jpg

Upon arriving back at camp something looked different about my trailer...
862509398_4rvmD-L.jpg

I was laughing out loud as we pulled up to this sight:
862509226_U7w2i-L.jpg

Every fridge needs magnets, right?
862509064_xXQnx-L.jpg

Well, after laughing about what my Guzzi Friends had done with my trailer while we were out riding, Marcia and I headed over to check out the bikes that were lined up for the show... As usual at Guzzi functions, versions of the California were most prominent... The "touring class" had more than 20 bikes lined up with Californias ranging from a '93 Cal III to a couple of '97 Cal Aniversario 75s to several variants of Jackal, Bassa, and EV...
862509050_XaEe3-L.jpg

The People's Choice winner. Steve Walker's 850 LeMans with a great looking Convert in the background:
862508960_BqeRc-L.jpg

A couple of farkled Quotas were in attendance:
862508938_7QApN-L.jpg

862508786_98MLo-L.jpg

Johnny and his Non-Guzzi Class winner Triumph America:
862508800_t3eMC-L.jpg

Pat's fine looking V11 LeMans. (Man! I need to wash mine!):
862508782_MqACn-L.jpg

Jay's very trick Jackal. EV wheels, rearsets, Cruisliner bags, custom seat, and more!:
862508691_9WAaj-L.jpg

The Distance Award winner rode this EV down to Anderson from Maine! First time I've seen the red/creme paint scheme in person. Very pretty!
862508518_bpQnZ-L.jpg

862508364_CQoe7-L.jpg

Michael D and Marcia awaiting the awards presentation:
862508626_Z9f8P-L.jpg

Here I am with the lucky winner of the high hand in the "non-run poker-run" Her hand was something like three kings, a jack and an ace! Oh, and she was nice enough to buy beer and whiskey later with some of her winnings!
862508563_QqEVZ-L.jpg

Gordon's gorgeous red Norge:
862508348_jzPei-L.jpg

Jay's bike and campsite. All his gear fit in his Cruiseliner bags! He set up next to us after Andrew packed up.
862508242_nt2yX-L.jpg

Marcia's and my campsite:
862508195_hcggE-L.jpg

Michael D, Gordon, Pat, Frank Smith had a nice spot:
862508142_UjxGx-L.jpg

"Quick Kamp Row" down by Indian Creek:
862507605_ydThC-L.jpg

After enjoying dinner, a couple of great burgers cooked up by chef LaSandra, Marcia and I snapped a few pics of Indian Creek, the namesake for the campground:
862508030_M8Euz-L.jpg

862507765_Drp4x-L.jpg

862507704_kF9kC-L.jpg

862507444_hMffJ-L.jpg

Then it was back to the campsite to enjoy a little campfire time:
862507231_7QySS-L.jpg

862507298_uveLX-L.jpg

862507120_dpgzL-L.jpg

After the party gave out at the sideline campfire with our Missouri and Oklahoma friends, we headed over to the main campfire where several serious Bull Sessions were taking place:
862506859_zWkXS-L.jpg

...and a serious fire was burning in the pit.
862506593_az3hz-L.jpg

Soon, Marcia and I hit the tent. The night was a little warmer than the previous one. Down to 49- or 50-degrees, I think. Great camping weather! I didn't want to, but we had to rise early Sunday Morning and head out early because of Mother's Day commitments. Up at 7am, on the road at 8am, dropped Marcia off at 9am, home by 930am running the Friday Afternoon route in reverse down US-71 and I-540 to Fayetteville...

Luap and LaSandra sure know how to put on a campout! What a great time! Many thanks to y'all for putting this on and bringing nearly 100 Guzzi Folks together this weekend. It was a great time!

Super story and pix!

Probably not much need for me to post more pix of the campout, tho I can look at such things all day. Still, as our group rode out from Atlanta -- after gathering other riders from Ormond Beach, Fla., (Larry "Lash"); Clemson S.C., Cam & Cathy; Asheville, N.C., Larry Landon, I thought I'd post photos from the ride out and back as a pre- & post-Paul Harvey to yours.

I used a Canon D3000 DSLR on a Ram Mount attached to the Norge's left bar. Had a remote release, but found it easier just thumbing the shutter release button set on "continuous."

As always, lots of photos. I put in some captions, hoping that makes getting through them more bearable. ;)

Just remember, don't like that many photos? Don't watch 'em! :-* But I do this so I'll have something fun to watch in the nursing home one of these days after I hang up my Guzzi spurs.

Anyway, we had a great time, and are grateful to Luap and LaSandra for all their work to make that so. Seeing old friends made a fun ride even better, too.

OK, here are the pix: http://tinyurl.com/ATL2SWMO-2010

Regards from Inman Park,

Bill

Back