Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Side-cut keys

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by GTM®, Feb 26, 2011.

1. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Newest go to for keys, cutting and programming, is AF1Racing.com

From MPHCycles.com;

Key blanks are ~$39/each direct from MPH.

See link HERE.

2. guzzibob

guzzibob GT Reference

Good news indeed. And then after you get the key you do some kind of magic with your remaining key & the dash to match the new key to the bike, or something like that, right?

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

With the user code and one key, you can add the second. The procedure is in the Breva 1100 service manual on page 30 of the PDF file. (The PowerPoint charts that were converted to PDF.) The procedure to add new keys if the lock set is changed is on page 31. One of the important reasons to know your user code. Can't be done without it.

4. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hmmm, one thing I'm wondering??.. I've never put in a user code, because if I can lock myself out of something I will. :shock: If I would lose the keys, would I be able to get new ones talking to the immobilizer with a default, or *should* I put in a user code?

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Without the user code, you can't add a key. You also need to have one recognized key. See my post above. Also if the immobilizer fails, you can't start the bike without the user code. Be sure to record the user code in your owners manual. Many folks just use the maintenance code as the user code so they only need to remember one number.

6. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

ok, thanks for that, John.. I was thinking that the user code was just something to cause me grief if I forgot it.. :D and apparently it is, but I need to put it in anyway.

7. Saint Nut

Saint Nut Tuned and Synch'ed

For my 2007 Norge, I bought an Aprilia key blank from Moto-International in Seattle for $11.50. Here's an online link if you want to see what it looks like. Then I mailed the blank along with my OEM key to Jason at J&B in Texas. Jason cut the key and mailed both of them back. Overall turnaround time using Priority Mail was 7 days. Jason charged me $45 including postage, plus $5 for my postage, plus the cost of the blank, made it $61.50 total. The new key works like a charm in both the ignition and the cases.

Only thing I thought was weird is that I did not need to teach the bike the new key. The Aprilia key blank supposedly has a transponder chip, but I just stuck it in the ignition and started up the bike. Strange.

Anyway, here's a :silly: thumbs up for Jason at J&B.

8. LockEater

LockEater Just got it firing!

Hi Gang,

First off, thanks for the business MPH...I'm the locksmith that's mentioned in this thread. Funny, registering for a motorcycle forum membership, when it is beyond my nerves to sit on one, lest it's for work.

Secondly, glad I could help St. Nut. Why your key did not require the immo code to register is rather strange indeed.
    Perhaps the new key was introduced to the ignition immediately after a registered key? Some cars will "still see" the transponder for a few seconds after having removed it.

Just so anyone here knows, we can not only cut these keys, but if an immo code is unknown, and you still have one key left, it can be sent to me to duplicate both mechanically and electronically.

Also, for the record, if all keys are lost, you needn't have to replace all locks and cluster on the bike. If you can pull the cluster and ignition lock cylinder and send it to us, we can generate a key and read info from the tacho to get a working key for your bike. Not a $45 job, but much much less than the average replacement costs associated with this scenario.

If anyone needs anything, feel free to contact me via phone or email. (281) 351-5625 or at jandblockandkey@yahoo.com, respectively.

Best Regards,

J&B Lock & Key
    Jason Damron
    619 West Main St
    Tomball, TX 77375
    281-351-5625
    jandblockandkey at yahoo.com

edward hessel and decotriumph like this.
  9. Saint Nut

Saint Nut Tuned and Synch'ed

Of course, that's exactly what I did. Started my bike with the OEM key. Shut it down then immediately re-started with the Aprilia key. But just went back and tried the Aprilia key again (hours later) and it works fine. No code needed. Weird.

10. not-fishing

not-fishing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

This it the best deal by far.

Those of us with the propensity to do things the hard way purchase a pair of blanks @ $92.00 then found a local locksmith who changes $20 per key to cut the (brass blank) key. The only advantage is you don't send a good key out in the mail. The disadvantage is all the extra time running around (and cost).

Of course you still have to program the key.

The Dealer wanted $ 100 for a pair of keys plus $35 each to cut and program. You pay for the keys, wait a couple of weeks, bring in your bike and leave it for a day.

This goes against my Libertarian side. I'm trying to raise a no dealer maintenance - free range Griso.

11. Concetta

Concetta Just got it firing!

Great information

12. sabre64

sabre64 Just got it firing!

Hi guys. I´m thinking of buying a 2008 Giso from a widow.
    The bike has been parked for over 6 years since the owner died.
    The trouble is that she doesn´t have the keys.
    How hard is to get this key work without knowing the transponder code?
    Would I have to buy a new ingnition switch with the key or the code is within the ECU?
    Thanks for your advise.

13. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

You would need to buy the lockset and dash or send out the dash to Carmo in the Netherlands to reset, and they provide new blank keys coded to the dashboard.
    In addition to getting it running will be a costly exercise as well.

sabre64 and Trout like this.
  14. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Agree with Todd.
    Unless you are getting this bike at an almost nothing price it will become a bottomless money pit.

sabre64 likes this.
  15. sabre64

Thank u both for the answer. Didin´t know it was so complicated and for sure expensive. Besides the keys, it needs 2 new tires, right front and rear turn lights and for sure other hidden things. May as well offer $1,000 for future project or spare parts for my Stelvio. My rear brake lever is a little bent, this one is intact.

16. sabre64

I just had a chat with Ed at AF1 Racing.
    He advice me to get only the lockset with its keys.
    He said that most people don´t change the code and that is 00000.
    Project is getting closer lol.

Trout likes this.
  17. Charles Adeniyi

Charles Adeniyi Just got it firing!

Hi,
    I just got a 2017 MGX-21. It came with just one key and I felt it was unwise not to have a spare. Bought a pair at Vespa of Marietta for $88.19. Filed the key to shape myself with angle and flat files. The bike had 600 miles on it and the User Code hadn’t been set so I entered a User Code and went to settings. Entered Service Code 34534 and chose Change Keys. It requested the new User Code which I entered after which it indicated Key 2 as I had the original key inserted and it displayed a 20 second countdown. I inserted the new key and it accepted it and asked for Key 3. I simply let the counter run out as I haven’t cut the third key yet.

Tried the key and it works perfectly. Hope it’s helpful to someone :)

pseudo LM and john zibell like this.
  18. Andrew D Neufeld

Andrew D Neufeld Just got it firing!

I'm pretty proud of myself - I just accomplished re-keying side cases on my Norge so that they all open with the ignition key. It isn't really that difficult to do - is this procedure commonly known?

19. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Educate me Andrew. I have to use separate keys for ignition and panniers.

20. Andrew D Neufeld

Andrew D Neufeld Just got it firing!

I'll take some pictures and post it over the next day or 2.