• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Snorkel removal

organfixsing

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
In the thread on tank removal, one person (I forget who) recommended the snorkel on the air filter be removed while the tank is off.
Would this make the bike (standard ECU etc.) run even leaner than before?
I have read somewhere also that there is an improvement in torque with the snorkel removed.

Cheers
Brian :? :silly:

It actually starts to allow the bike to breathe better, the other end is the exhaust...

the cross sectional area of the snorkel is less that the cross sectional area of the throttle bodies, by a good margin (I can't remember the exact details but I did it some years ago). Removing the snorkel will allow more air into the airbox, through the filter, for consumption in the engine.

As it provides more induction roar, it also sounds good. I have heard it quoted (but don't quote me) that it will give as much as 2-3 HP just by removal. Midrange torque is also much improved.

You can feel the difference but a dyno would be required to prove the "seat of the pants" feel. I haven't heard of anyone who has put it back on, so there might be truth in the fact...

It (the now jobless snorkel) can also double as a pencil holder on your desk once it's retired from your Guzzi!

Yeah thanks Bisbonian and Tony. I guess that alteration of the fuel/air ratio is minimal and so does not need alterations.

I notice that my bike, BREVA 1100, is running really well now but does induce some popping on closed throttle, I assume that this is to comply with Euro mandated emissions.

I did see somewhere the idea of a resistor in series with the air intake NTC.

This would tell the computer that it is colder than it really is and thus encourage it to richen the mixture. Maybe this would reduce popping on overrun?

Otherwise the bike is running well,

I have a problem though v.0ith the grabbiness of the front brake and will install organic pads for the time being to reduce this grabbiness. (My last Triumph of 43 or so years ago had an innefective drum brake hence I tend to grab too much of a handful with some disasterous consequences.)

I am starting to enjoy the bike and its challenges after I went to South Burnett Motorcycle Riding School for a day. (You should have seen me when I started. Couldn't brake properly, couldn't lay the bike over to turn.) I am still having problems with the turns but it is coming good.

Sorry to rave on, but I needed that.

Cheers
Brian :D

Yea thanks Todd. I suspected that it may change the fuelling. It will have to wait until there is some modification of the fuelling. Tony's comment about the disparity between the snorkel cross-sectional area and throttle body area may ignore the fact that both cylinders are not breathing at the same time, however, the apparent change in fuelling would seem to say different. Perhaps it is all to do with the airflow pattern in the air box that one cylinder affects the other as far as breathing goes. Perhaps the jury is still out on this. My ravings at 0530 hrs.

Cheers

Brian :D

jim130 said:
Tried running sans snorkel, noise but no perceptible improvement in performance. Refitted and happy with reduced induction roar.
Removing the snorkel on the BNS lid is minimal, as the opening into the air box itself remains the same. My GT-Rx® CNC air-box lids offer ~both throttle body areas combined. The gains (~20 h.p. & 25 lb.ft. @3800RPM!) are shown below combined with my slip-on muffler:

file

I've got the full GT-Rx package installed on my B12S (aluminium air box lid, PC-V and ECU reflash) and can vouch for the mods.

Doing some maintenance to be sure that all is well on my 1200 sport. So, I have the flash and just removed the snorkel and checking the valves again and found a boot from the airbox to the throttle body that was not on correctly and was letting air in. One mystery solved but... With the snorkel removed did anyone cover the hole with mesh or the like?

Attachments

• snorkle mg.jpg
    snorkle mg.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 9
Removing the snorkel provides no gains in performance or in rideability.

It does allow water to enter the airbox.

The “flash” ???

Last edited:
Back