• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Speedometer / Cluster no light no activity.

So it took me ForeEver to send the unit off ..
( I was humming and hawing about going Analog - but I didn’t )
Unit will be back this week, they found a fault and corrected it and said this :
!!Advise. Check stator, regulator and/or battery.
Try not to use a booster, change oil frequently!!

I don’t boost it and don’t see how more frequent oil changes could affect the instrument cluster ( unless they noticed the « wrench » and thought I had yet to change the oil and filter :p «)

But I am concerned about the possibility that an over chargé condition resulted in blowing a circuit in the instrument cluster… so how can I check it without Risking blowing out the circuit again …
I was considering using a 3 or 4 amp fuse instead of the standard 5 amp…
Then what /where can I test the stator, regulator, Without risk ?

Any suggestions welcome,
Thanks,
Don

So it took me ForeEver to send the unit off ..
( I was humming and hawing about going Analog - but I didn’t )
Unit will be back this week, they found a fault and corrected it and said this :
!!Advise. Check stator, regulator and/or battery.
Try not to use a booster, change oil frequently!!

I don’t boost it and don’t see how more frequent oil changes could affect the instrument cluster ( unless they noticed the « wrench » and thought I had yet to change the oil and filter :p «)

But I am concerned about the possibility that an over chargé condition resulted in blowing a circuit in the instrument cluster… so how can I check it without Risking blowing out the circuit again …
I was considering using a 3 or 4 amp fuse instead of the standard 5 amp…
Then what /where can I test the stator, regulator, Without risk ?

Any suggestions welcome,
Thanks,
Don
Looking at the stick posts I found this. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-charging-issues-dead-battery-please-read.15720/

Thank you very much John.
Mine is a 2017 V7 III - same battery since I’ve had the bike. ( before 2020 )
That doesn’t mean I’m safe, only that I might be affected by a Later issue.
I’ll check for any ECU codes and charging voltage with no 5amp fuse… ( to « protect » cluster for the same thing happening again - immediately ) as it will run and drive with the cluster attached but no 5Amp fuse for signals etc…

Unless - someone has a reason Not to test that way ?

Last edited:
Put a digital meter on the battery and fire it up. Make sure it isn't putting out too many volts at 4000RPM.
Also, several stators on 17's have failed. It might show good, but one of the sections might be burnt up. To check you need more electrical skills than I have, and the Piagio PADS doesn't show when just one section is bad. FYI, Todd was keeping a stator in stock.

Ok ok - stop whining , yes I disconnected the cluster :rofl:

U0140 (U1701) : CAN to instrument panel communication : Signal absent - Cruise Control deactivated Traction Control deactivated > 1) Reconnect/repair connectors 2) Reconnect/repair wiring harness 3) Replace instrument cluster

Precautionary measure ?
P1607 = Data file saved (for safety)

So i can clear those…

Ok -
Battery was a bit low after sitting for a few months as I procrastinated :cry:
On the trickle charger overnight now it read : 12.95
First startup at Idle : voltage reads 13.45 ( normal ?)
Need to get an « Assistant » to help me get a 3500 rpm reading.

I cleared both the codes , but the P1607 either did not clear or kept coming back ?
- throttle sensor position reset
And :wasntme: The auto calibrate reset ( maybe I should not have .)

You can read up on charging voltage ranges and 1607 on this very Forum. ;)
Do not do a Auto Calibrate, no, not needed and they tend to run slightly worse for awhile when you do

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed and disillusioned with the Surprise Cluster failure.
I was perhaps naively thinking that this was still largely an analog bike other than Fuel Injection and ABS.
But having the ECU and " Smart" Instrument cluster playing such a big part in the basic operation of the bike almost make me think about going hunting for an Older V7 without all the Electronic Geegaws :( .

Or look at getting this one *Converted* to a more basic version ?
( I wonder what the GTM builds use for Engine control on his builds - Just the ECU functionality ?
Maybe MotoGadget for Indicator / lighting control )

What is so bad about a basic circuitry for Blinkers and Brake lights...

I had packed the cluster in a Coffee can with 20 layers of pool cover bubble wrap top and bottom with 10 - 15 layers around the unit sitting suspended in the middle - It was perfectly protected - then packed in a larger box.
This shipping material was Discarded.

It was returned in a flat box in a thin bubble wrap bag and a layer of paper wrap -
The result was cracked mounting bosses -with indents in the top of the cardboard - very disappointing way to pack a $$$$ Unit !

20240925_114949.jpg 20240925_115054.jpg

Workman ship and repair - 100%
Shipping and Handling - FAIL !

You can read up on charging voltage ranges and 1607 on this very Forum. ;)
Do not do a Auto Calibrate, no, not needed and they tend to run slightly worse for awhile when you do

Yes - found the codes page - thank you for the exhaustive list !
And Yes it did run a Bit crappy at first - but recovered after a bit

Ok -
Battery was a bit low after sitting for a few months as I procrastinated :cry:
On the trickle charger overnight now it read : 12.95
First startup at Idle : voltage reads 13.45 ( normal ?)
Need to get an « Assistant » to help me get a 3500 rpm reading.

I cleared both the codes , but the P1607 either did not clear or kept coming back ?
- throttle sensor position reset
And :wasntme: The auto calibrate reset ( maybe I should not have .)

That's pathetic to pack it so poorly. For the money they charge and the cost and trouble of replacing a badly damaged unit, they should know better. I am not impressed at all. I guess when you're the only game in town you can do whatever you like.

That's pathetic to pack it so poorly. For the money they charge and the cost and trouble of replacing a badly damaged unit, they should know better. I am not impressed at all. I guess when you're the only game in town you can do whatever you like.
Indeed, when Scott sent his in an ABS box, they at least used his packaging.
PS: I did send Leo (my contact) at Carmo the pictures and expressed my disappointment and the damage suffered In transit.

Last edited:
The shipping box - using tuna cans as the dash
IMG_3449.jpeg

The box was barely taller than the unit.

I sent the the same pictures of the unit and they were quite apologetic, I hope they have a talk with shipping …

Last edited:
Back