• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Sport mode fuelling

Katie

Just got it firing!
Unusually (for me) I have been riding the bike in Tour mode since buying it. This week I thought I'd give Sport a try, having amended the winglets to come in at 40mph in this mode (hey, I like them!).

After about 150 miles of variable traffic and road types my conclusion is that the fuelling in Sport is awful! Inconsistent throttle response across the speed range, delays, and very lumpy in places, especially low gear. At some points acceleration was slower than Tour! As sport is my default mode on every bike I've ever had the option, this was bit disappointing.

Keeping my eye open for a possible switch to the big bore headers, or the Mivv version when it comes out (hoping to stop the cat melting my toes!), so would have to get it tuned anyway but curious as to what others have experienced. Question for the forum, have I got a fixable glitch or do I need to lower my expectations?

Hmm. Not my experience at all. 🤔

Sport mode is not normally the choice for traffic riding though. I view it as open road riding through hills, mountains, and lots of curves.

The other thing is that all of the modes operate exactly the same except for the rate at which full throttle is achieved.

Curious you are experiencing what you say.

I concur with Scott. Sport Mode is good when you want to let the bike spread its wings (no Guzzi logo pun intended). I often joke with riding buddies… “don’t make me put this thing in Sport Mode!”😂 I ride a lot in Tour Mode if in relaxed pace groups.

I find sport mode to have a horrible flat spot between 4-5k rpms, though I feel it works really well if you keep it over 5k rpms. So, depending on the road and how I am riding, I’ll choose between sport and road.

As Scott said in another way, riding mode does not change the air/fuel ratio. Flat spots etc. should not be felt just by changing modes.

Precisely. It only affects the speed at which the ride by wire advances to full throttle.

Unfortunately, people will look for stuff to critique and they usually find something, regardless if it makes any sense whatsoever.

Precisely. It only affects the speed at which the ride by wire advances to full throttle.

Unfortunately, people will look for stuff to critique and they usually find something, regardless if it makes any sense whatsoever.
Why wouldn’t the rate at which the ride by wire advances to full throttle in a specific mode exacerbate a flat spot that exists in the engine tune (i.e. the air:fuel mixture that keeps getting mentioned)? Obviously the different modes, and different rates of advancement to full throttle, result in different engine ‘feeling’ when riding. All I can say is that if I grab a handful of throttle around 4K rpms in sport mode, forward progress falls flat on its face until around 5k rpms. That does not happen to me when riding in road mode (or at least is not noticeable).

If you are doing this in 6th gear, of course it is going to behave that way. You are in serious overdrive at that point. You are lugging the engine.

Do the same thing in 4th gear, and the result will be very different.

I don't know what to tell you. My first inclination is to go grab mine and see if it is like yours (although I do not believe it to be so). The next time I ride it, I will intentionally try to cause your symptom on mine.

my conclusion is that the fuelling in Sport is awful! Inconsistent throttle response across the speed range, delays, and very lumpy in places, especially low gear.
Any mods? Might be a service related issue, OR:

UpMap device HERE or we'll be offering our GTM BT FT soon with OUR maps.

Mine sure doesn't. It pulls evenly throughout the rpm range no matter what mode I am in. I doubt I have ever gone above 7k rpm, no need to.
kk

My experience with the sport mode is that it feels significantly more direct with the fueling.
So direct that it is unpleasant to ride at lower speeds with its on/off effect, I need to change back to another mode if I go down to slower speed (<45mph).
But it is also more powerful, and yesterday evening with a pillion this was quite noticeable even with half modest throttle.

Any mods? Might be a service related issue, OR:

UpMap device HERE or we'll be offering our GTM BT FT soon with OUR maps.

No performance mods as yet. Will ask the dealer to check when I put it in for coolant leak next week.

Have to say I only use the sport mode on open roads. In the UK that can be difficult as there's all these annoying little villages in the way. In stop / go traffic it's not very good.

Well I tried on mine but honestly could not get any of the sensations you are experiencing.

Wish you could ride mine to compare.

Back