• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Starter Button not on right side handlebar. Where is it?

Hemifan1

Just got it firing!
Helping a recently widowed friend whose husband owned his 1971 750 Ambassador since new. It hasn’t run in about a year but has always been ridden, maintained, and garage kept since new.
We’re installing a new battery, need a missing fuel cap and believe it or not, can’t locate the Starter Button that according to the manuals is on the right side of the handlebars and is a thumb activated push button switch.
Where else would it be located? Why?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

1971 750 Ambassador
IMG_0782.jpeg

Nice project, Clean the carbs, set points & timing and good to go. That model had chrome bore in cyl that would get bubbled if let sit. If bike has been running all these years may be OK. If sitting the moisture gets under the chrome. Best to check it out. Owner may have swapped the cylinders out for Nikasil or cast iron ones. Good Luck & Welcome!

On occasion, a secondary/momentary push button may have been added. Follow the smaller starter lead wire backwards from the starter and you should find it. Photos on what is on the bars and what you find is always best.

Nice project, Clean the carbs, set points & timing and good to go. That model had chrome bore in cyl that would get bubbled if let sit. If bike has been running all these years may be OK. If sitting the moisture gets under the chrome. Best to check it out. Owner may have swapped the cylinders out for Nikasil or cast iron ones. Good Luck & Welcome!

The last Ambassador I cranked up had a "Start" position on the ignition switch just like a car. Try down there.

Lannis

If you want to have the clutch pulled in & start you can't run the throttle, but you can set it & turn the choke a tad.
Nice looking Guzzi, clean too.

Hello everyone and thanks to those who have commented and provided tips and feedback regarding my question.

My Ignition switch does in fact have a spring loaded 3rd. position that's strictly for starting just like most automotive ignition switches. (That's why there is no right thumb operated starter button)

Now, there is no cranking, clicking or anything except the lights, signals, and horn works. It has a new fully charged battery, the engine is free and will crank over when the starter motor is jumped, and can easily be rotated with the bike on the center stand and the transmission in gear and the rear wheel rotated.

I'm looking to see whether this bike has a side stand switch, kickstand switch or defective neutral safety switch. The bike is in neutral but no neutral light is illuminated. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for any and all additional feedback!

Hank B. Northern N.J.

Your bike precedes safety switches. Unless there is one on the cable itself. Those were sold later on.
One down & 3 up if shift lever on left . One up & 3 down if shift lever on RH side.
Ambassadors didn't have a relay on ones I've owned for starter, my 700's are same w/Marelli starter.

Your bike precedes safety switches. Unless there is one on the cable itself. Those were sold later on.
One down & 3 up if shift lever on left . One up & 3 down if shift lever on RH side.
Ambassadors didn't have a relay on ones I've owned for starter, my 700's are same w/Marelli starter.
THANK YOU Steve!!

The schematic for your bike in the downloads section shows a starter relay. The neutral switch must be functioning correctly to provide a ground for the relay. To access the downloads section you need to upgrade your account. See;

Just looked in my orange book which has all 3 loops and the 750 shows it both ways with & without relay on starter and same with wire to nuetral lite for in gear safety. Lots of changes being made then from Marelli to Bosch stuff and even shows a start button and a rev counter on 1 schematic.

'71 would have a starter relay. If there is a black wire and green wire attached to the stud of the neutral switch, remove the black wire and ground it to one of the bolts securing the neutral switch to the transmission housing. This will enable the starter to work even if the neutral switch doesn't or if the transmission is in gear. Just remember to pull in the clutch.

Back