• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starter issue

BellagioBob

Tuned and Synch'ed
Have any of you guys come across this. when the bike is cold I hit the starter and it goes clunk which I assume is the starter solenoid engaging. hit it a second time it starts fine and every subsequent time. The battery is fine. took the bike for 30 mile ride stopped and started ok. Happend 4 times now.

Was happening to me frequently last winter, but I do have a teeny weeny Lithium battery and a few other mods.

Anyhow my diagnostic guru said I had multiple faults all relating to bad earths, and I should replace the battery earth lead as this appeared to be the major source of all my little problems.

Replaced lead yet still had minor niggles as before. ??? All fault codes repeated themselves. ???
The earth lead connection to the engine is above & behind the starter motor, and on my bike was attached by a small 5mm button head allen key. The crimped on connection was big enough to drill out to 8mm and we attched it to engine/gearbox mount about 2" from its original attachment point.

NO MORE PROBLEMS, NO MORE FAULT CODES .................... yet.

lately my griso developed the same problem. As the computer also has a relais to the starter motor to take over the starting procedure fuse b (15A) blows sometimes. My dealer said that it is due to a low voltage from the battery and a bigger fuse 20A should solve the problem. I wil check all the connections aspecialy the earth lead connection.

Be careful guys with bigger fuses...
5 amps over is OK but I wouldn't got bigger.
There's a reason why they blow, so find out why first.
Usually a poor connection at the starter will cause that...

The Bellagio is just the same.
Also as I have said in my answer to the same question (same person) on our UK board, the solenoid plunger is coated with grease on assembly. with time this can become dry and sticky. When I had this problem on the Norge, after doing the start relay rewire, I removed the solenoid, cleaned the sticky grease off and oiled it instead. Have not had a problem since.

Back