• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stepper motor on/off kit

A question just to be sure. I've checked the installed valve yesterday for the position of the switch and when I blow trough the hose coming from the airbox, it needs a lot of pressure to blow trough. When I switch from close to open it's more a very little leaking than blowing trough. The question: is this normal/good? :?

Martin said:
A question just to be sure. I've checked the installed valve yesterday for the position of the switch and when I blow trough the hose coming from the airbox, it needs a lot of pressure to blow trough. When I switch from close to open it's more a very little leaking than blowing trough. The question: is this normal/good?
It is good. The valve allows a 1500 RPM idle when on.

For Todd:
is the Stepper motor on/off kit also available for a Stelvio ; mine is a Stelvio NTX 2009.

Franck

capdefra said:
is the Stepper motor on/off kit also available for a Stelvio ; mine is a Stelvio NTX 2009.
Franck, sure is, I'd recommend the Griso/Sport version unless you have a place you'd rather mount the switch. If you have any other questions, ping me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

GT-Rx said:
capdefra said:
Franck, sure is, I'd recommend the Griso/Sport version unless you have a place you'd rather mount the switch. If you have any other questions, ping me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thanks Todd. My Stelvio NTX as only 1600 kms and have no problems with the stepper motor and iddle but I had before a Norge which had erratic iddle because of the stepper motor. So I consider your kit as a good solution for my Stelvio if I have problems like the Norge.

Franck

Thanks Franck.

All; I've had a few questions over the last few weeks regarding stepper motor operation & function. The valve is wired such as it is in the off (no power usage)/non-flow position as standing, and when you turn the switch 'on' the power opens the valve to allow air-flow through the valve. The valve is restrictive to air-flow compared to the line diameter, but the valve in the open position allows 1,500 RPM idle when on, and a solid (non fluctuating) 1,200 RPM when off/closed.
The small holes in diaphragm inside the valve allow the rubber plunger to open and close with delay/bleed. It is not the orifice in which the air travels.

Hope that helps.

As of right now, I only have ONE (1) switch housings left for Griso/Sport/Breva/Stelvio applications. I'm not sure when I'll make more, but the kit will remain available for Norge owners.

The small holes in diaphragm inside the valve allow the rubber plunger to open and close with delay/bleed. It is not the orifice in which the air travels.
Thanks for your answer, theoretical I can understand it, but in practice it won't work this way. . . although at my bike. . . I can feel sort of a second step, but still the airflow is minimal.
This morning I removed the airbox for the third time (I'm getting quicker every time), and it works the same as the first time I installed it: the bike won't idle at all. I have to raise it by hand to keep the engine turning. A small testride tells the same: it makes no difference if the switch is on or off, the engine runs the same. That means no popping at all, while formerly he was popping terrible.
Formerly the bike was starting perfect, so I think only thing is to look for a valve that opens fully for starting the bike properly.

The open/on valve should allow a 1500 RPM idle. If you add 12V, you should be able to blow through the valve, not like blowing through an open hose though. If you add power and find this not to be the case, I can send you a new one or refund you my cost of the valve. I tested numerous valves and selected this one because of function and cost. There are other valves out there, but as you'll likely find, the cost of each far exceeds the whole kit.

All, I'm currently/now sold out of the clutch perch switch holder (shown below with the 'G')... so I can only offer them to Norge owners or anyone willing to make a switch holder for themselves. Cost is $60. I will post again when I have the holder back in stock.

Also, I've had one request in doing a mirror image as a switch for accessories. Any interest?

SMK-BGSp.jpg

It is not model specific. All the big CARC bikes use the same basic stepper motor set up. Only the details like hose routing and switch are different. The stepper motor takes filtered air from the air box and bleeds it into the intake tract when the throttles are closed. This helps maintain a stable idle when cold but it is also used to reduce emissions on decel. That is why it messes with your engine braking. By blocking off the air passages you can prevent the stepper motor from doing this. But since the bike may not want to idle when cold with out it being able to turn it on and off is key. Todds kit does this nicely with a solenoid valve and a switch (but he may be out of the handle bar mounted switches) or you can do it with a manual switch.
You can even block off the stepper motor with some plugs to see what it will change before you go whole hog with this mod.

Right, fitted the kit. Even with my meagre skills I worked it out. It's hard to find a suitable place for the valve on the Griso, thats for sure! I got it sorted though.

I haven't run it hot yet, will test ride it a little later. Here are a few initial observations:

1. I didnt have an erratic tickover before, as I have said, I have fitted it so I can get my engine braking back. However with the valve now fitted it IS erratic with the valve open.

2. Close the valve, idle drops but is steady. Bike takes a little longer to warm up before it'll settle like that.

These I expected. However:

3. When I switch off the bike, the fuel pump seems to run a moment after the engine is switched off. This happens whether the valve is open or closed. Is this normal?

Edit:
I'm not sure if its the fuel pump now. But something whirrrs for a few seconds after the motor is stopped.

GuzziHero said:
When I switch off the bike, the fuel pump seems to run a moment after the engine is switched off. This happens whether the valve is open or closed. Is this normal?
Edit:
I'm not sure if its the fuel pump now. But something whirrrs for a few seconds after the motor is stopped.
Completely normal, and completely unrelated to the stepper motor.

Hey, Todd -- any plans to produce any more of these? I'd like to pick one up for my 2009 Norge.

Thanks!

Mike

Eldy/Mike, contact me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Just fitted a stepper motor cut out to my Norge 2 valve.
I have two issues if anyone can help
(1) With the switch in the start position, ie stepper motor in the standard (start) position the bike will not start as it used to, that being, hit the starter and the bike used to start and tickover after turning over a couple of times without touching the throttle
Now I have to start it and keep the thottle open and hold it so that it doesn't stall, if I don't it will not fire up.
After the bike has warmed up around 20 miles and I move the switch over to the run position the bike ticks over at 800 rpm.which is fine and I have also lost the backfiring on deceleration.
(2) The mpg has dropped from 42 mpg to 36 mpg which is abit annoying.
Are both of these things normal and if not, what can be done to rectify it
Cheer Phill

Phill, this is one of mine? Sounds like your stepper motor may not be working. Do you have any error codes? Fuel consumption seems very abnormal as well.

Back