• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stolen V7 resurrection

adri

Bratty 2013 V7 (Crackhead Theft-Recovery Edition)
Here's the fourth video in the series. Finally working on the V7!

Long story short, I bought a stolen (and recovered) 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 with 8,000 miles for $2,000. This video looks at:

1) The aesthetic issues I've tried to overcome
2) The mechanical issues I've had to deal with
3) How much I'm now invested in it & was it worth it?

Moto-Guzzi-V7-tank-1024x577.jpg.webp

Over the course of this video I'll deal with the thief's (ruined) spray paint job

Moto-Guzzi-V7-tank-rust-treatment.gif

Dealing with rust in the tank

Cold-starting-a-Moto-Guzzi-V7-1024x576.jpg.webp

Trying to get the thing to @#$%ing run without cutting out (suspects: fuel pump, filter, and screen)

Moto-Guzzi-V7-raw-steel-motorcycle-tank-1024x576.jpg.webp

Trying to pull the dent out of the tank (A+ effort, C+ success)

Moto-Guzzi-V7-restoration-1024x576.jpg.webp

Going over what's still needed, and how much I've spent on this thing so far

If you're interested and have nine minutes to kill, please check it out:

I also have a link to my article on it here: youmotorcycle.com/fixing-my-stolen-moto-guzzi-v7.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys. No new videos on the V7 to share yet, but one mechanical update to share that was a learning experience for me.

I got the V7 mechanically as far as I could, but it was still running like an old carbureted motorcycle in need of a carb clean.

Symptoms:

- Not always able to hold idle / cutting out after a few seconds
- Cutting out when you try giving it fuel
- Needing a really long time to warm up

I know V7s typically need a bit longer than most bikes to warm up but this was really excessive.

I took it to Carlo at Moto Motori in Toronto. Same guy / same place I mentioned helped me in my video above.

Carlo could tell from the splashing in the tank that something was off. Seems that part of the fuel pump assembly is a pressure bleed off valve, and they can start to fail. This was all news to me. The V7 needs about 50 psi of pressure here, and we were getting about 20 psi.

Carlo disappeared for a minute and then reappeared with a new pressure bleed off valve. This is the 3rd time he's randomly happened to have a spare part that my Guzzi needed on hand, somewhere in a corner of his shop.

We put everything back together and for the first time in probably 3 years, this V7 ran like new again!!

Moto Guzzi V7 back from Carlo

A couple observations I forgot to mention:

1) With the Mistrals it sounds amazing. I still have the baffles in, but might take them out for shits and giggles just to see what it sounds like.

2) It's really interesting how much you have to ride the stock V7 1 like a cruiser compared to my Bonneville 865.
The Bonneville 865 has a really nice horsepower increase from 42 hp at 5500 rpm to 49 hp 6500 rpm.
The V7 dyno charts I've seen seen seem to peak around 5,800 rpm, and for that last 1,000 rpm you go from about 34 hp to 39 hp.

The 100+ cc extra, different engine configuration, and 10 hp difference isn't noticeable until you're either trying to accelerate aggressively on a steep hill, or on the highway. I'll keep riding the two back and forth and see.

3) Despite that, it does seem rev happy down low, which was nice. It's quick to rev up to 5,000+ RPM, which is fun, before it falls on it's face not long after that.

4) This last one's a question because it's winter here so I've only ridden it once since the fuel issue was sorted, but... Downshifting second to first seems to come with some engine breaking compared to other motorcycles. Is this a fair assessment or do I need more time to get used to the bike?

Pressure bleed off valve? I've never heard of such a thing.
I was thinking the swirling fuel was caused by a failed half metal/half plastic fuel filter which is so often the cause.

I was thinking the swirling fuel was caused by a failed half metal/half plastic fuel filter which is so often the cause.

We had already replaced the fuel filter with a metal one :)

I may be calling it by the wrong name, so here is a picture:

Screenshot 20240229 130114 Gallery

Better yet, here's a screenshot of the old one out (and rusty) on the left and the new one in on the right.

We also did a TPS reset. No idea if that helped or not because we did them at the same time, but getting the pressure right when it was less than half of what it should be definitely didn't hurt.

I've been riding for 17 years (and didn't have a car for a good part of that!) and had no idea what this little thing is or that it was so important. Learn something new every day. Screenshot 20240229 130636 Gallery

Think of it as a “waste gate” on a turbo charger.

It protects the fuel system from excessive pressure buildup.

You are fortunate to have your mechanic because you cannot purchase that part by itself. In fact you cannot purchase any parts of the fuel pump assembly as individual components. Just the entire, expensive, assembly.

There is a pressure regulator there that can fail. I've come across one myself on a 750 Breva. Bike would only go to 5 psi then back to zero. Also it isn't listed as a spare part and the complete assembly is no longer available so a used donor regulator was obtained.

You are fortunate to have your mechanic because you cannot purchase that part by itself. In fact you cannot purchase any parts of the fuel pump assembly as individual components. Just the entire, expensive, assembly.
Super lucky to have Moto Motori nearby! Carlo is a magician.

There is a pressure regulator there that can fail. I've come across one myself on a 750 Breva. Bike would only go to 5 psi then back to zero. Also it isn't listed as a spare part and the complete assembly is no longer available so a used donor regulator was obtained.

Is that the "proper" term for it? I'm going to mention it in my next video. Should I call it a pressure bleed off valve, pressure regulator, or is either one fine?

The concept of what it does is more important than a dedicated name, especially as it is not a purchasable part.

I think “fuel pressure regulator” is the best choice.

The concept of what it does is more important than a dedicated name, especially as it is not a purchasable part.

I think “fuel pressure regulator” is the best choice.

Agreed, but it's customary on YouTube for miserable people try to pick at the tiniest details. Sometimes they are angry people looking for a punching bag, sometimes they are insecure people looking to feel up by putting others down.

Either way, the best recourse is just to laugh at them and shrug it off, but I still try to cross my Ts and dot my Is on details like what the proper name for something is, just to make life harder for those miserable little twats to find something to bitch about :D

Ha! I feel you on that.

I have gone through that crap here for 13 years now.

Nothing makes my day quite like someone who admits they are a first time Moto Guzzi owner and they ask a question, then want to argue the answer I gave them.

Happens with ever-increasing frequency more and more. 🤷‍♂️

We have a place here close by that has all the um plate parts, they cater to Ducati but it's same stuff. Called ca cycleworks in Conyers GA, down road 20mi. I have used them a few times for TPS sensors. Most of time I look in the store here.

Back