• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Stripped bolt hole threads - any ideas?

stockysnail

Just got it firing!
Hi. The 2nd issue on my V100 is my own doing. 1st was the dealers inexperienced junior mechanic chipping cylinder head paint and forgetting to reinstall the rear seat lock before putting the seat back on.

My issue I caused is I over-torqued and stripped the bolt hole's threads on the drive shaft/final drive's drain plug bolt hole. I didn't read the torque specs properly until I read it multiple times after. Lesson learned. I can get the bolt to stay in but I'm guessing it has only like 9ft/lbs instead of 21ish like the manual says. Replacing the part is probably best as I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try to do a heli-coil thread repair in a spot with oil. Probably also not a good idea to just leave it in at that low of a torque even if I put thread lock on it.

Question is if I can do this (replace the final drive cover) myself?
Is it just a matter of removing the cover by unscrewing bolts #20 & #1, and removing the 22 & 23 oil seal, or would I need to remove the wheel and other stuff?
I don't have the proper torque wrench to put the wheel back on as my torque wrench only goes to 90ft/lbs and not the 120 something that the wheel would need if I have to remove it. I'd rather save the $200+/hr the dealer will charge me if possible.

finalDrive.jpg

Why not drill and thread the hole one size larger. Flush any particles of metal out before refilling with gear oil.
There's a lot of work to be done to remove and replace the gears etc. The gear housing is likely very expensive also.

It will leak unless drilled perfectly straight, whether you go oversize or helicoil.
That means jig it up for a drill press or mill.

If I had to do this again I'd take it to a favorite machine shop that can machine a straight hole.

Why not drill and thread the hole one size larger. Flush any particles of metal out before refilling with gear oil.
There's a lot of work to be done to remove and replace the gears etc. The gear housing is likely very expensive also.
If « you/he » have/has a full tap & die set, depending on a few things you might be able to use the next size up and get a bolt that size ?
(Yes, that might involve going from metric mm to an SAE size )
You might do well to Go talk to someone at a machine shop about your alternatives.

Last edited:
Remove the final drive unit then remove bolts (1) and then the axle and crown wheel complete. The gear casing can now be drilled and tapped on a radial arm drill or milling machine also the seat may also need spot facing in order for the crush washer/gasket to seal properly.

Remove the final drive unit then remove bolts (1) and then the axle and crown wheel complete. The gear casing can now be drilled and tapped on a radial arm drill or milling machine also the seat may also need spot facing in order for the crush washer/gasket to seal properly.
If you go to the time and trouble to pay someone to do that, might as well just replace the part.

Best to remove your rear drive assembly and have a machinist insert a Time Sert or helicoil. If you can give him just the housing that would make it even easier for the machinist. That hole must be square and a machinist has the equipment to do that.

Back