• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Thinking about a V85

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robber

Just got it firing!
Hi new here and maybe new to Guzi. I was wondering how the V85 air cooled engines hold up temp wise riding some forest access roads. The speed will in my experience sometimes below 20 for a while because of the roughness of the roads. Will this cause the motor to overheat? I have water cooled bike now so the fan just runs a lot more. Thanks

Welcome, Robber.

My V85 is a pavement princess -- and a remarkably fine road bike, btw.

I rarely take it off roads (intentionally), but often find myself on cowpaths by believing my GPS knows what it is doing. :giggle:

That said, with 12.8K miles now, I have ridden at least a .3K of those on gravel or dual tracks. I wear ATGATT and never feel much heat on any motorcycle, but others I know mention heat as a (minor) issue.

I and a passel -- a word that need not be translated for a Tennessean ;) -- of other Guzzisti (including at least one other on a V85), will be in Tellico Springs (basing out of the Lodge at Tellico) on the weekend after Labor Day. I and the other V85 guy will be staying overnight on the way down at Princeton, W.V., and may pass near Dandridge on our way to the gathering.

May not have much time on the way down for more than a coffee stop, etc. If you want to demo my V85 at Tellico Plains, come on down.

Best,

Bill

Not sure how 'warm' temps get where you are. but V85 on a 38C day...puttering around or on open road, all I can say is I suspect YOU will drop of heat exhaustion before the V85 does. Main reason I rode a DR650, then the V85 is BECAUSE it is air /oil cooled. Dr400's pop rad hoses, & a whole heap of cooling issues, just because water cooled. The V85 is designed to get rid of heat with cyls sticking out imho. Hot bull dust / gravel roads in 38C-48C temps is normal down here, zero issues re cooling so far. Biggest issue is fuel, fancy RON98 can be tricky to find. The upside is the tank @ 23l give a range of 550km+ @ ~4.0l/100km (tested many times & always have 2-3L in tank even when fuel gauge goes blank & fuel lights are all say nothing left. fwiw it is ~500km between pubs out here. The shaft was other reason, chains are a messy PITA for me. only other choices i had were BMW which have big elec issues & super tenere - both almost to heavy to lift if bike has a snooze. I ride to smell roses these days, mostly 2500-4000rpms maybe the V85 will scrape pegs? but I'd have bought an R1 if i wanted that, but V85 will do speed limits (aka road conditions) no probs. Leave the V85 on short-list, prob only issue is limited service depts here. Good luck picking a new toy. only other thing is frame size. at 6'2" 32 in seem 2" bar risers help but still need more. I ride standing a lot.

Hi new here and maybe new to Guzi. I was wondering how the V85 air cooled engines hold up temp wise riding some forest access roads. The speed will in my experience sometimes below 20 for a while because of the roughness of the roads. Will this cause the motor to overheat? I have water cooled bike now so the fan just runs a lot more. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. This section isn't for Q&A, please try a search in the V85TT section, and post there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back