Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

tiltmode43's V7 Classic Build Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by tiltmode43, Mar 29, 2014.

1. tiltmode43

tiltmode43 Tuned and Synch'ed

When modifying cars I usually have a build thread but for some reason, never started one for the Guzzi. Most photos can be found at http://www.flickr.com/inghostcolours or on IG @violetnites The idea here is to document all the steps taken throughout the modding process, as well as have a bit of a running journal of the V7. Feel free to share your opinions!

Purchased with 3000 miles on the clock. Unknown to me, bloated tank but otherwise clean bike. All stock, w/emissions canister removed:

[​IMG]

The day after purchasing I picked up the MAS Engineering rear fender eliminator from Pro Italia in Glendale and installed right away:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, Paolo Tarozzi clip-ons, CRG bar ends & mirrors, & Headlight/cluster lowering bracket. Also removed the front orange reflectors. Pic is from a cruise with a buddy's Thruxton near Malibu:

[​IMG]

MAS Engineering aluminum front fender was the next part to go on! As you can see, this fender is bobbed a bit compared to stock, and of course the other big difference is it's bare metal:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arrow slip-ons and Joe Kenny head guards were the next wave of mods to hit, along with GT o2 Optimizer. I de-baffled the Arrows and do not regret it one bit (video below under P3 lights) More on de-baffling in this thread -> https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic?f=215&t=11800 Also needed to install the rear exhaust hangers from the Cafe-Classic for this exhaust (the hangers from the V7R are $$$!) You can also see how close the tank sat to the head :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luckily Bobby @ Pro Italia happened to have a white tank from his personal collection sans warping (& decals) and with some OE MG badges already fixed on. I picked it up and was surprised at how much narrower the bike felt! You can also see how lovely the de-baffled Arrows look here:

[​IMG]

Next up was to get rid of those orange tangerines I had stuck to the back of the bike! Ended up ordering some indicators from Dime City Cycles and could not be happier. Also did a bit of a photoshoot with a friend's Thruxton (http://www.flickr.com/inghostcolours)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This happened while on the trip. Sport Demons went on right away!
    [​IMG]

Somewhere between tires and the horns I did another full service and threw in the BMC air filter. Also installed a USB plug that wires to my battery tender to make sure I don't get caught in the middle of nowhere with a dead phone.

At this point, I decided I wanted to do some more practical mods to increase the safety of my bike. After trying out a horn from a Z32 300zx, I decided I wanted to upgrade the horns. Much research later and I ended up ordering some Hella Supertone 118db horns. Right now I have the covers off and it looks like someone's strapped black pancakes to the side of my frame, haha. Covers were painted black, still debating weather or not to put them back on.

[​IMG]
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

It's tough to tell but the horns are considerably louder with a deeper tone
    Before:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/inghostcolours/oaswjc
    After:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/inghostcolours/31d3oK

Furthermore, I knew the MAS fender elim has an improperly angled LED rear taillight and also decided upgrading my rear lights would be a good idea as from a distance, the MAS light wasn't too effective. After much research I ordered Skene Design P3 lights. Wow these things are amazing! Check them out if you're considering adding some extra tail/brake lights, you will not regret it -> http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml I don't think too bright is a problem but wow, these lights are stupid bright! I find cars stop much further back now that they have to deal with these tails. With a blink -> solid pattern I also have the piece of mind that everything is being done to get the attention of drivers (and riders) behind me. Only problem now is my buddies refuse to let me lead on our rides as they all end up blinded :mrgreen:

No photos of the lights now, only video:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/inghostcolours/yDEA6X

Latest additions made were the MAS Engineering front and side number plates/panels. With flat sides the bike feels much narrower and I absolutely love the look of the front bikini fairing. I don't think I'll put numbers on anything but for now, just enjoy having my bike covered in dulled metal parts :evil: Updated photoshoot to come with the newest parts on.

[​IMG]

Much more in the works, will update the thread as the build continues :D

2009 V7 Classic
    MAS Engineering front fender
    MAS Engineering wind screen / number plate
    MAS Engineering side panels / number plates
    MAS Engineering rear fender eliminator
    Paolo Tarozzi clip-ons
    Rizoma Lux grips
    CRG bar ends & mirrors
    Headlight/cluster lowering bracket
    Dime City Cycles front & rear indicators
    Joe Kenny head guards
    P3 taillights
    Hella Supertones
    BMC filter
    Mistral crossover pipe
    Arrow slip-ons, de-baffled
    MG tank badges
    GT O2 Optimizer

2. tiltmode43

Installed Rizoma Lux silver grips & loving them! Pic from Point Mugu after a cruise up to Oxnard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

colby22 likes this.
  3. Instg8r

Instg8r Cruisin' Guzzisti

looks good man, thanks for sharing. That's how an enthusiast forum should be.

Matt

4. 370_racer

370_racer Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for sharing, indeed. Is that front fender truly aluminum or chromed steel? AF1 lists it as steel. Any chance you weighed it against stock one?

5. tiltmode43

Thanks, agreed!

Yeah, that's kind of interesting they list it as chromed steel, I never saw that. The piece is definitely polished aluminum and can be purchased in a satin finish as well -> http://www.masengineering.it/MAS/index. ... Itemid=236

While chrome is MUCH easier to clean than polished (I've had both chrome and polished parts on my cars), I'm glad this is raw metal as the scars from highway debris help give it some extra character. This also helps it match the other parts a bit better.

6. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Matt, did you have to remove the front tire to install the MAS front fender? I have one and will be installing it soon. AF1 racing says you have to but I wondered if you actually didn't have to. Thanks.

7. tiltmode43

Random IG pic from earlier this week. Not much has changed on the bike, sadly. Been focusing on cars again.

[​IMG]

Ah, haven't been on the forum in a while! Nope, don't have to remove front tire, it's a pretty basic install.

8. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks!

9. Albertus

Albertus Just got it firing!

Nice mod tiltmode43. Very neat.

Your V7 build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net
    directory here: tiltmode43's V7 Build

We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google
    Images). We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your
    build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to
    the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.

Al

10. colby22

colby22 Just got it firing!

11. T4FFY

T4FFY Just got it firing!

Did you have to file down the ribs on the throttle tube to fit the Rizoma Grips?