• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

To PureOne or not to PureOne?

Greyo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I hope this is not a repeat question - I did a quick search and could not find a topic on this here.

I assume many of you guys have seen this (and others related to it) webpage on oil filters:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fi ... OilFilters

The guy who wrote it provides a rationale for using new-generation (that is, with high-efficiency filtering media) oil filters in motorcycles too, like the PurOne line of filters by Purolator instead of the OEM paper-based filters.

His arguments make sense to me; what do you guys think?

I own a Griso 8V SE; has any of you used these kind of filters with the 8V engine, and with what results?

Without knowing the bypass pressure rating it is a moot point. The Guzzi requires a high oil pressure and the UFI and Hi Flow filters meet this as well as the Bosch and Mobil one units.

Here's a previous thread on the subject. https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic.html?f=188&t=5608&p=42251&hilit=oil+filter#p42251

Here's another.https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic.html?f=188&t=4581&p=33425&hilit=oil+filter#p33425

And another: https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic.html?f=188&t=1189&p=5236&hilit=oil+filter#p5236

I say it's always a gamble not matter what you use, cause you don't know when the OEM will change the spec or a manufacturing defect occurs, but MG can't fault you for that. So stick with OEM at least until your out of warranty. Then you can spend hours on how you're gonna save $2. ;) ... like me. :blink: :dry:

Who ever serviced my Breva just before the previous owner sold it to me used a Fram filter. I changed all fluids when I got it home and saved the filter. Finally got around to cutting it open and found the filter element pleats partly collapsed. My guess is that the filter element was too restrictive. I think I'll cut open some UFIs for no good reason.

draidt said:
Without knowing the bypass pressure rating it is a moot point. The Guzzi requires a high oil pressure and the UFI and Hi Flow filters meet this as well as the Bosch and Mobil one units.

OK, thanks for your input.

By the way, concerning the bypass pressure issue, the guy in the article I mentioned does address it:

"...Filters also have relief or bypass valves. These valves are set to trigger if the filter element is making too large a pressure drop. Normally, this would be because it is clogged, however on an engine with a very high flow oil pump this can also happen if the oil is very cold. Motorcycles do not have high- flow oil pumps. These relief valves are set for different pressures, and sometimes a tech or mechanic will tell you that it's important that the relief valve have the correct rating. It's not. These valves are very low-precision devices, and their pop- off values are different from each other even in identical filters of the same brand. I have spoken with engineers (not techs) at AMS, Purolator, Mobil, and Champion, and not one of them knows of a single reason why you can't use a car filter on a motorcycle. In fact, not one of them could quote me a single pop-off valve pressure rating off the tops of their heads. They did not consider this an interesting or important topic until I brought it up. When the relief valve is open, the oil is going around the filter element and not being filtered at all. If your relief valve ever opens up you're either using a really cheap oil on a really cold day, or you haven't changed your oil filter since the last time you saw Robert E. Lee..."

What is your reply to that?

Back