• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V100 gearbox 'Too much loctite'

Oldman

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
My V100S now has 3,500 km on it and has developed a strange gearbox behaviour. When cold it will engage neutral but not the neutral light. As the bike warms up this behaviour recedes to be replaced by the gear indicators becoming confused. I have been told that some gearboxes had been assembled with 'too much loctite'.....does anybody know anything about this?

I could understand blaming « Not enough Locktite » if you had a screw loose :rofl:
But too much , so that it overflows the threads and gets into the transmission gumming up the works ????
- o tal vez demasiado vino

Last edited:
Most likely a bad gear indicator switch I would think.

The first version of the V85tt had the gear guestimator. The E5 version has an actual switch, as does the V100. It’s part number 22 in the Gear box/Selector/Shift cam, diagram. It’s even call a “Gear position sensor.”

Thanks for all the replies. This is my third Guzzi so I knew about calculated gear indication but as has been pointed out the V100 has a real switch. My 'Too Much Loctite' comment was because the fault I am experiencing was mentioned in another forum and apparently Piaggio themselves had described the cause of the fault as 'over enthusiastic use of loctite' so this was just my attempt to identify an issue which I am sure is not unique to me....what seems to be different about my case is it only occurs when cold...other than that the gearbox seems to be loosening up very nicely and the quickshifter has improved for all gears now except 1/2

I don't recommend using the quick shift feature. It does cause extra stress on the gearbox. Thanks for letting us know the source of the loctite issue. If it is a switch that indicates gears, that switch may need cleaning. Again, that should be a dealer task under warranty.

I'd suggest the shields are there for a reason. (i.e to stop scraping the pipes).
No doubt Guzzi designed them to take most of the hit before the exhaust . (i'd prefer that to damaging the exhaust)
sorry about the pic.. includes a bit of timber whilst the bike is jacked up to allow me to V100 exhaust exhaust protectors.jpg upgrade the shock

I am old, I don't lean over that far. Couple of nasty low sides when I was young due to crappy suspensions and tires. I don't need to ride to that extreme anymore. The only parts I have dragged in modern history were the floorboards on my Harkey Slim and that didn't take much.
kk

Back