• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V100 Mandello compared to other naked bikes?

Dirk Nowitzki

Just got it firing!
Hello,
i am seriously looking at the V100 Mandello as my next bike. So i am interested in the opinion of the people who own one in terms of its sportyness. Can it compare to current naked bikes?
1. Its a semi heavy bike and the reviews are contradicting eachother. So in your experiance how does it handle compared to other naked bikes (possibly ones that you owned)? It is always gets compared to other sport tourers but I just dont have a reference to them. How willingly does it lane split and how sporty is it in corners?
2. Body position: I had a BMW F900R until earlier this year and really liked the riding position with a higher seat (that leand my Body a little more forward). I understand that you can modify the body position (so that is the less important part). Lower the bars (https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v100-lower-handlebar-height.25340/) and the high seat (though it ruins the aesthetics of the bike a little). Would you say that in generall the data here is accurate: motonomics.com/?

Thanks for your answers

Hello,
i am seriously looking at the V100 Mandello as my next bike. So i am interested in the opinion of the people who own one in terms of its sportyness. Can it compare to current naked bikes?
1. Its a semi heavy bike and the reviews are contradicting eachother. So in your experiance how does it handle compared to other naked bikes (possibly ones that you owned)? It is always gets compared to other sport tourers but I just dont have a reference to them. How willingly does it lane split and how sporty is it in corners?
2. Body position: I had a BMW F900R until earlier this year and really liked the riding position with a higher seat (that leand my Body a little more forward). I understand that you can modify the body position (so that is the less important part). Lower the bars (https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v100-lower-handlebar-height.25340/) and the high seat (though it ruins the aesthetics of the bike a little). Would you say that in generall the data here is accurate: motonomics.com/?

Thanks for your answers
@Dirk Nowitzki … I’ve had my V100S for a year now. I traded a Guzzi Norge and a pristine Ducati ST3S in for it. The Norge was a nice touring bike, and the ST3S a great handling “sporty” touring bike. I feel the V100 is a nice blend of the two. I wouldn’t lane split (I have panniers mounted), but the bike is capable. It is not a sport bike, nor intended to be, although it can do spirited riding for sure. I also have a naked Ducati 916 S4. The V100 isn’t as nimble (“flickable”), but does give good road feel feedback… predictable. As for riding position, I went the other way - I added risers for a little more upright position, because I mostly use it more for all/multi day rides, and prefer a comfortable (for me) position. It is a great bike, and I think purchasing a ‘24 would assure some of the early issues have been addressed. Best advice - go ride one if you can!! Put it in sport mode😉.

@Dirk Nowitzki … I’ve had my V100S for a year now. I traded a Guzzi Norge and a pristine Ducati ST3S in for it. The Norge was a nice touring bike, and the ST3S a great handling “sporty” touring bike. I feel the V100 is a nice blend of the two. I wouldn’t lane split (I have panniers mounted), but the bike is capable. It is not a sport bike, nor intended to be, although it can do spirited riding for sure. I also have a naked Ducati 916 S4. The V100 isn’t as nimble (“flickable”), but does give good road feel feedback… predictable. As for riding position, I went the other way - I added risers for a little more upright position, because I mostly use it more for all/multi day rides, and prefer a comfortable (for me) position. It is a great bike, and I think purchasing a ‘24 would assure some of the early issues have been addressed. Best advice - go ride one if you can!! Put it in sport mode😉.
I'll definitly test ride one, im just quite inpatient because I couldnt ride since april and would like to look at the market to identify a good deal when the time has come. Unfortunately im not yet able to, because im still recovering from the accident that got rid of my BMW F900R.
My Budget is more in the range of an early 2023 V100 S vith 3k-5k km (my prefered option) or a new non S variant. From what I read the biggest issue where some coolant leeks and not really other big reliability issues, is that wrong?
According to motonomics.com (NO HYPERLINKS HERE - ADMIN) my old bike is much more leaned forward. And I found it tourable in that regard, at least for a 6000km ride through south europe.
The, to me, biggest contender at the moment is the Aprilia V4 (non factory) but the insurance cost in my postal code is just insane.

To be honest, some owners have had several problems, but besides the exceptions the most issues has been to leakage due to coolant hose clamps, or in some occasions some oil leak which seems to be cured with retightening some bolts.
Perhaps a clutch seal, or related o-rings. But this is a service bulletin so it’s neither a huge issue or a cost, and it is handled upon warranty.
A batch of bad LED displays from the Piaggio Group seems to have found its way to the V100 too, and in different grades bleeding current when parked so the battery will be drained in some weeks or months without battery maintenance.
A few have even got lemons that drained the battery in days.
But this issue seems to be addressed by the factory now, and may perhaps be a service bulletin in the future.
And definitely a warranty fix.
Apart from this it seems to hold up.
My V100s has worked well, although the battery were almost drained after two months.

I am very satisfied with it as it suits my driving style.
I come from sport touring bikes and this is my first totally new bike.
The V100 is fun as it can do so many different driving styles!
it’s very versatile but still with personality and engagement no matter how you use it.
You can putter around quite slowly and still enjoy it, listen to the nice engine sound…
Or use it as a touring bike, although the fairing isn’t the most covering. Still much better protection than you expect from the modest wind shield and winglets.
Or use it with the wind shield down and winglets down, thinking you are on a naked bike getting full wind blast in hot weather.
…and it is quite sporty if you want!
Especially the V100s in sport mode when the suspension gets firmer and keeps the bike very stable in bends.
The engine gets more sporty as well.
The engine is a real joy with lovely noice and low grunt, but revving surprisingly quick and willingly!
Not the top power band as a sport bike, but be careful, it’s really easy to reach the red area of the tachometer!
But that said, it weights 233kg with which it can’t compete flickability to light race bikes.
Still very capable for its weight though.

I like it for the above reasons.
Versatility with personality.
Very capable when you want it to be.
Lovely engine character and exhaust note! 😎

But unfortunately I can’t compare it directly with the bikes you refer to.
You could think of its driving capabilities as a sport touring I would say, that would be a good description.
…aahh I think you got the point now? 😉

Can't really compare it to a sports bike as I've not ridden one for years. My last bike before the V100S was a Ducati Multistrada 950 and I prefer it greatly. It's more stable and imo corners better. As to lane splitting, I lane split for almost 30 miles on the UK's M6 a couple of weeks ago with panniers attached and no issues at all. Admittedly most UK cars are smaller than American ones but so are our roads.

Thanks for the answers. I really can't wait to try one.
To be honest, some owners have had several problems, but besides the exceptions the most issues has been to leakage due to coolant hose clamps, or in some occasions some oil leak which seems to be cured with retightening some bolts.
Perhaps a clutch seal, or related o-rings. But this is a service bulletin so it’s neither a huge issue or a cost, and it is handled upon warranty.
A batch of bad LED displays from the Piaggio Group seems to have found its way to the V100 too, and in different grades bleeding current when parked so the battery will be drained in some weeks or months without battery maintenance.
A few have even got lemons that drained the battery in days.
But this issue seems to be addressed by the factory now, and may perhaps be a service bulletin in the future.
And definitely a warranty fix.
Apart from this it seems to hold up.
My V100s has worked well, although the battery were almost drained after two months.

I am very satisfied with it as it suits my driving style.
I come from sport touring bikes and this is my first totally new bike.
The V100 is fun as it can do so many different driving styles!
it’s very versatile but still with personality and engagement no matter how you use it.
You can putter around quite slowly and still enjoy it, listen to the nice engine sound…
Or use it as a touring bike, although the fairing isn’t the most covering. Still much better protection than you expect from the modest wind shield and winglets.
Or use it with the wind shield down and winglets down, thinking you are on a naked bike getting full wind blast in hot weather.
…and it is quite sporty if you want!
Especially the V100s in sport mode when the suspension gets firmer and keeps the bike very stable in bends.
The engine gets more sporty as well.
The engine is a real joy with lovely noice and low grunt, but revving surprisingly quick and willingly!
Not the top power band as a sport bike, but be careful, it’s really easy to reach the red area of the tachometer!
But that said, it weights 233kg with which it can’t compete flickability to light race bikes.
Still very capable for its weight though.

I like it for the above reasons.
Versatility with personality.
Very capable when you want it to be.
Lovely engine character and exhaust note! 😎

But unfortunately I can’t compare it directly with the bikes you refer to.
You could think of its driving capabilities as a sport touring I would say, that would be a good description.
…aahh I think you got the point now? 😉
Regarding the engine im only not shure if the drop off in torque after 6500rpm is a little anticlimactic. What I am shure is that I want something else that an I2 Engine, because I had that for 3,5 Years now. And 115HP ist definitly enough for me. I had 105HP and even that is plenty to find yourself going quicker than you theoretically should.
Can't really compare it to a sports bike as I've not ridden one for years. My last bike before the V100S was a Ducati Multistrada 950 and I prefer it greatly. It's more stable and imo corners better. As to lane splitting, I lane split for almost 30 miles on the UK's M6 a couple of weeks ago with panniers attached and no issues at all. Admittedly most UK cars are smaller than American ones but so are our roads.
I guess the UK and Germany are quite comparable in terms of traffic and roads.

Regarding the engine im only not shure if the drop off in torque after 6500rpm is a little anticlimactic. What I am shure is that I want something else that an I2 Engine, because I had that for 3,5 Years now. And 115HP ist definitly enough for me. I had 105HP and even that is plenty to find yourself going quicker than you theoretically should.

I don’t find it anticlimactic, quite the opposite actually.
It’s fun to rev!
But for everyday situations I keep the rpm at 2/3 of the range as I mostly just listen to the engine speed for gear changes.
Because it’s so easy to over rev it!
As it’s so difficult to hear when it’s due time for gear change, you need to look closely to the tachometer if you don’t want to over rev it…
And that takes the focus off the road a moment.

My brother lives in Bavaria so I'd say in terms of traffic density most German roads are similar or slightly less. Obviously not in big cities where it's pretty awful in both. As to the quality of roads German ones are much better. According to my brother ours are worse than eastern Europe.

I have many many (too many) motorcycles.

My V100S has had every annoying teething issue you can read about but seems sorted out now. Nothing serious, just annoying.

Others have tens of thousands of miles without issues at all.

As far as a a naked bike, the V100S is exceptional. I am very glad I got the S version and I highly recommend it over the plain V100.

Power, low center mass and handling are exceptional. It brings a perpetual smile yo my face the entire time I ride it.

Honestly, you need to ride one to know if it is for you.

One man's wine is another man's vinegar...

I have many many (too many) motorcycles.

My V100S has had every annoying teething issue you can read about but seems sorted out now. Nothing serious, just annoying.

Others have tens of thousands of miles without issues at all.

As far as a a naked bike, the V100S is exceptional. I am very glad I got the S version and I highly recommend it over the plain V100.

Power, low center mass and handling are exceptional. It brings a perpetual smile yo my face the entire time I ride it.

Honestly, you need to ride one to know if it is for you.

One man's wine is another man's vinegar...
Now I only have to find a way to pass the time until I can test ride one.

Back