• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V50 Monza electical issues

ronajon

Just got it firing!
ast weeks i was working on getting the bike ready to get a Dutch license plate (german import).
because of the nice weather i thought a fresh cleaned bike would certainly impress the inspectors, so i pressure washed the bike to get it shining an free of dirt, grease and dust

big moment, wanted to do a small and short ride around the block, got on the bike, started and then NOTTIN :worried:
the engine goes round, so does the starter, all the lights are working, but that was it, no spark at all

somehow it must be an electrical problem, but i cannot seem to find the culprit.
ignition coils are new, spark plugs are new, the throttle with starter is new.
I did check and clean all electrical connections that are needed for starting, changed sparkplugs, tripple checked the starter switch and kill switch, the battery is fully charged but i cannot seem to find why i doesn't want to give a spark anymore. The bike ran before the cleaning job, so somehow i have managed to break something while cleaning the bike ?

i suspect the fault should be in the motoplat elelctrical ignition module or the CDI's.
what is the best procedure for testing these kind of electrical issues ?

i already tried to measure resistance of the CDI units, both of them show OL (open loop) on my Fluke multimeter. does that confirm that the CDI's are bad ?

Just a note, pressure washing a motorcycle is the worst thing you can do. That said, remove the covers at the front of the engine for the ignition components. Once they dry out, you might just be running again. Schematics are available in the downloads section. With an account upgrade you will have access to them. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-account-upgrade-donations.14025/

all components are dry, the washing was done last weekend.
i do have the schematics, but need to find out how to test different components like the electronic ignition, the CDI and the ignition coils

Back