• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V65 clutch drag...required?

smackeyacky

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Been slowly making my way around a 1992 V65 GT sorting out a few problems and decided the clutch needed some adjustment, but I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I went on a few rides where I had finished in town, but the clutch was dragging too much at the end of the ride when everything was hot and it made changing gears very difficult. The drag seems to go from "slight" to "bad" as the bike got hot.

Anyway, I adjusted the clutch at the lever so I could feel it was fully releasing. Immediately noticed that first gear was now almost impossible to select, taking several firm stomps and moving the bike around to get it to engage. Also, when riding like that I started to get quite a few false neutrals.

I then adjusted the clutch back towards where it was originally, although with far less drag when hot and just a teensy bit at rest and the gearbox is back to normal again. Is my gearbox due for some attention? Bike runs strong, makes a lot of gear whine (expected from the straight cut gears?) and with that teensy amount of drag the shifts are fast and positive. Does it need drag to work properly? Or is it a symptom of a dying box?

The trans is more robust than the clutch. It doesn't need drag to work. Clutch should have no drag. The trans shifting works better if trans is spinning.
Ok might just be something I am doing wrong. When I say drag I mean just the teensiest bit. I don’t know whether the gear lever can be adjusted I haven’t gotten that far yet

You have a single plate clutch and that plate rides on the input shaft of the gearbox. The pressure plate may not be moving enough to release the clutch plate. Check the angle of the clutch arm at the back of the gearbox. With the clutch squeezed in the part that presses on the clutch push rod should should be at about 90 degrees to the push rod or just slightly less.

Back