• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 850 rough running

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjwood

Just got it firing!
Hi. My 2022 V7 850 has now decided to have a massive sulk. Last week I fitted a pair of Mistral standard length silencers I was told that the ECU would be able to deal with any fuelling issues without requiring a remap (in fact that’s what it says on the Mistral web site). The bike started and rode extremely well and I did a 150 mile ride without any problems. Today I did a gearbox oil change and blew out the air filter. Now the bike starts and ticks over fine - that’s good. On the main stand in neutral it revs right up to 5k rpm without problems. However, when the bike is on the main stand and I put it into first gear and open the throttle, it gets to about 1500 rpm and then starts bogging down, misfiring and spitting back through the air box. I initially thought it might just be rough petrol so I held the throttle open at around 1200rpm for two or three minutes. It was then that I noticed that the exhaust headers were glowing cherry red. Any ideas what is going on? I was told that if I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes the ECU would reset itself and then sort out the fuelling but that hasn’t helped. Is this looking like a job for the dealer guys?
Thanks
regards
Tony

Any time you change intake or exhaust you will require a new map. The ECU is not adaptive. See the Store tab for fueling options.

What's going on is you are doing everything in your power to destroy that bike!
You never run a Guzzi, especially a V7 in gear on the centerstand! The drive shafts and U joints aren't made for that.
You didn't say if you actually took it onto the street to try it. It could be that the ECU was shutting it down because it was on the CC. If it doesn't run on the street, you messed something up doing the air filter install.
FWIW, you never ever blow out air filters. If you think you must clean the just tap the rubber side flat on a clean surface to get the big chunks out. Filters filter best at 50% dirty.

Oops! I never knew that Golden Rule about not running the bike in gear on the centre stand. I didn’t realise that Guzzi’s were so fragile. This is my first Guzzi after riding BMWs for nearly 40 years (and yes, they were capable of running in gear on the centre stand without fear of self-destruction). I can see that I have a lot to learn about my delicate V7 😉
I’ll see if the problem still exists when I try it on the street.
Thanks for your reply
Regards
Tony

As noted top of page, every page. Search, read. It’s all here for the taking. See below on nearly the same topic. ABS/TC will not be happy running the bike on the center stand. Guzzis aren’t fragile, you just can’t abuse them.

Hi Vagrant. Thanks very much for your excellent explanation of what was happening. I took the bike out for a ride today and it’s absolutely fine (just as you predicted). There’s a saying that ‘every day is a school day’. Well I learned a big lesson today about running the bike in gear on the centre stand. All those electronic systems are just too complicated - I’d love to say I understand them, but truth is, they’re just way smarter than me!
Next question is whether I’ve totalled my O2 sensors in the header pipes. The headers were glowing bright red for a couple of seconds. If the sensors were trashed, would I get a warning light on the ‘dash’?
Thanks again for your help
Regards
Tony

Next question is whether I’ve totalled my O2 sensors in the header pipes. The headers were glowing bright red for a couple of seconds. If the sensors were trashed, would I get a warning light on the ‘dash’?
Thanks again for your help
Regards
Tony
You probably just cleaned them. Dirty O2 sensors are cleaned using a propane torch!

As the person that brings you this site, Is there a reason you didn’t acknowledge my post at all, yet most everyone else? Just curious.
TC settings would be irrelevant if on the center-stand. I won’t waste my time, but I wonder if running the bike in gear on a center-stand is covered in the manual(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back