Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V7/9 Fuel Filter Replacement How-To

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Aug 22, 2019.

1. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

Anyone here know if the V85 also used the POS 1/2 & 1/2 filter???

Paul

2. Blue on Black

Blue on Black Just got it firing!

Thanks for the video. Changed out the fuel filter today on my 2017 Stone and I'll admit, went back and re-watched it a couple of times to get the right mojo for removal of the pump. It went well and the all-metal filter is installed. Yep, bloated, soft yellow plastic on the old filter. For fun I ran the Mahle number to see what that filter looks like new. What a difference- smooth white plastic. Definitely not the correct filter for this application! This should be a TSB from the factory.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Jeffer, PepperoniBros. and RAYT like this.
  3. aproud1

aproud1 Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for the video. This would have been more complicated without knowing the moves for getting out. Came out and right back in with no problems. Much easier than expected.

Mine was bloated and looked ready to pop. Around 1700 miles on a 2018 Milano.

Jeffer and GTM® like this.
  4. Chaminda

Chaminda Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for the video. I watched it so manny times. It took me hour and twenty minutes with lots of swearing and ciggerretes.
    Putting back was easier and still it took me 25 minutes.

Stock filter looked fine when taken out. It looks new. 23000 is on it. stock filter is Mahle 145. Made in Austria. I have seen photos made In Turkey on it. Somehow I somehow ended up buying mahle all metal one which is Mahle 150 made in Germany.
    I am not sure what was the problem installing a metal one at the first place.

5. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler GT di Razza Pura

That look incredibly similar to tools I’ve seen for removing horse shoe nails...

6. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Even at 15,000 KM my plastic filter looked like new, but I only use gas with no ethanol. I have never used fuel with ethanol in it. I think that is the big problem with the plastic.

7. Chaminda

Not sure about that. I have used all sorts of petrol in different time to stop the decel popping after customising the exhaust pipes. Changing fuel made no difference but Guzzi tech ECU reflash. I have used 91, 95,96 petrol. But my filter still looked great. In saying that I have seen some horrible photos of some filters. I still think going through that hassle to change from plastic to metal is worth. See my filter below.

Attached Files:

bikeseamus and Mayakovski like this.
  8. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Interesting, on mine the plastic is actually solid white, not clear. I plan to do the filter swap to metal this winter.

bikeseamus and Wildroamer like this.
  9. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Maybe different batches ?

bikeseamus likes this.
  10. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Paul, even better, it’s an all plastic filter! Upside is that the plastic is incredibly think. I would like to find out if it’s rated for ethanol or not.

bikeseamus likes this.
  11. GTM®

Guys, this whole questioning the stock filter has been gone over so many times, I’ve lost count, ad nauseam.
    The manufacturer of the stock filter has publicly stated that the half plastic filter was NOT designed to be submerged in regular fuel, much less ethanol. Please don’t ask why.
    So it’s up to those reading this that want to wait until you’re standing on the side of the road, hopefully not far from home, or be proactive.
    Please don’t state how long you’ve run the stock version, or that you pressure tested it, etc, etc... I and a great many dealers in the U.S. have seen enough of them fail early enough (even when new), that it’s simply not worth the headache for when it does fail. It will. I sell them as a courtesy on the online Store (with clamps) here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters
    Below is the last 600 mile service bike we did. Note that the plastic has swelled to nearly double the original size. It popped apart with minimal effort.

E8C18E55-732A-414F-ACBD-01EDE64FB6B3.jpeg

12. Chaminda

Good luck. Take your time. Don’t rush. Be patient. It may take lot longer than you think. You may need the right tools to undo the existing filter clamps and to put back new clamps on without damaging the fuel pipe. I took the whole fuel pump unit to local Suzuki shop as I didn’t have a proper plier. They charged me $10. They swapped it over for me. GU01108490 Is the original clamp part number if you choose Mahle KL 145. I think Guzzi tech filters come with clamps with a screw if my memory is correct.

Mayakovski and GTM® like this.
  13. GTM®

Mayakovski and Chaminda like this.
  14. jwtucker

jwtucker V11 Sport 4 Life

While the GTM filter comes with *both* screw and Oetiker clamps, folks should really do themselves a favor and obtain the proper tool and use the Oetiker version. The screw-type clamps can (and have!) come loose inside the tank, something that is pretty much impossible with the Oetiker style clamps. "A stitch, in time, saves nine."

__Jason

15. AllanV

AllanV Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I have a question (and I apologize if it's been answered before somewhere, I couldn't find it).

The OEM filter seems to be secured to the pump assembly with what can best be described as a plastic cable tie. Will any kind of cable tie do when securing the new all metal filter, or will I need a special fuel resistant type?

16. aproud1

I was able to slide the old filter out and slide the new one into the existing tie wrap.

AllanV likes this.
  17. AllanV

AllanV Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Well, that would certainly be easier than worrying about a replacement tie holding up in the fuel. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  18. aproud1

Looks like nylon tie wraps are compatible with fuel (according to the interwebs). It may become brittle over time. Likely not a problem in this application.

AllanV likes this.
  19. jwtucker

jwtucker V11 Sport 4 Life

Its basically the same nylon material that the corrugated fuel line is made out of that attaches to the filter.

__Jason

aproud1 likes this.
  20. senecagreen

senecagreen Tuned and Synch'ed

I ordered a fuel filter from your store. I am going to be removing the tank anyway on my V9 roamer along with fenders and side panels for paint this winter so that will be a good time to replace it.