• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Brake Upgrades

Stradagene

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I recently purchased the Brembo 4-pad Caliper and Brembo RCS Radial Front Brake Master for my '13 V7R:

Before buying my V7, I had read several places that braking on the V7s was not impressive but nevertheless 'adequate'. And for the most part I more or less agreed with this assessment. But there have been a number of occasions where I found myself squeezing on the brake - and then having to re-assess what this was going and then really squeeze on the brake! I was not pleased on these occasions. Not only was there a delay in what I wanted the bike to do, but my attention was totally distracted from what I wanted my focus to be on.

I initially inquired with Todd about the possibility of upgrading to a double rotor. This doesn't seem to be an option offered anywhere, but he highly recommended the 4-pad Caliper and RCS Radial Master. And, after taking delivery of the bike after the installation of these components, I immediately put 169 miles on them, and I wholeheartedly agree!

It basically makes the brakes what I hoping for them to be originally. Instead of periodically finding myself grabbing for more and wondering if it's even there to be found it makes braking a one finger operation. The brakes grab and deliver without having to shift focus and dedicate your attention to them. Instead of wondering how much I'm actually going to have to squeeze down on the level, the brakes are just there and one can just focus on the ride. So nice! A simple upgrade that is just totally worth it!

I'm just surprised that this seems to have not been discussed here - or at least not with much mention or follow-up. The difference is night and day and makes the bike so much more enjoyable.

My only 'complaint' might be that the 4-pad caliper doesn't come in black, but in regards to that, I think of this set-up (Brembo 4-pad caliper/RCS Radial Master) as the Honey Badger of brakes: "You think the Honey Badger cares?... Honey Badger don't give a shit, it just takes what it wants... The Honey Badger is really pretty bad-ass!"

Last edited:
I'm just surprised that this seems to have not been discussed here - or at least not with much mention or follow-up. The difference is night and day and makes the bike so much more enjoyable.
I don't know what you would call the stock brakes...
Thanks for the post Chris. I'm a one man band when it comes to pricey upgrades that don't involve knobby tires and leather accoutrements. ;)
I call the stock brakes wooden, meaning without feel or power. The RCS/4-pad set up is one-finger goodness (the HB probably chooses his middle) with all of the braking power one could ever want. Outside of suspension and fueling, it's probably the best investment one can make to any modern Guzzi. As I mentioned, I run them on every bike I personally own.

Todd,

Are the brake upgrades compatible with ABS?

Also, do you recommend going to better brake lines?

I think Todd must have missed this question, so I'll try to answer for you.

Todd told me that the set up that he installed on my bike is the same thing that he puts on his V7s - including his V7II Racer Quattrovalvole - which is a much fancier bike than mine.

So, yes, these components are very compatible with ABS!

And for you second question, yes, I guess I neglected to mention, but I did upgrade the brake line (below) when I added the RCS Master and 4-pad caliper.

(BTW - I LOVE this upgrade!!! Love, love, love, love love!!)

IMG 1721 1

A teaser shot of my bike when I picked it up from Todd this morning.

With this new addition!
IMG 1726

(You can also see the Spiegler Brake Line that socalrob was asking about and one of the Banjo Bolts.)

I decided to take it on a 300 mile test ride - and wow! Yes these things grab. It's so nice to have that finger tip control.

View attachment 12438

A teaser shot of my bike when I picked it up from Todd this morning.

With this new addition!
View attachment 12437
(You can also see the Spiegler Brake Line that socalrob was asking about and one of the Banjo Bolts.)

I decided to take it on a 300 mile test ride - and wow! Yes these things grab. It's so nice to have that finger tip control.
Thanks for the response. I would really like a faster bite. The two modern BMW bikes I have owned both had extremely good brakes. I also owned a Hypermotard 1100S which had brakes that were so strong it was easy and fun to do small stoppies (no ABS on that bike).

This will likely be my first upgrade on this bike.

Just seeing this (yes, always best to email me direct; Info at GuzziTech.com). This upgrade will fit and work on all V7s (I, II & III w/ABS). I installed it on my '16 V7-820R II.
The combo is pricey, but for anyone used to modern sport brakes, this combo will make you very happy. A second rotor isn't an option on the V7 as you all should well know, and this set up is more brake than you'll ever need, even with one finger actuation.
Downside is that the rotors are available in pairs, so you'd need to find someone willing to split the set with you.

Thanks for the response. I would really like a faster bite. The two modern BMW bikes I have owned both had extremely good brakes. I also owned a Hypermotard 1100S which had brakes that were so strong it was easy and fun to do small stoppies (no ABS on that bike).

This will likely be my first upgrade on this bike.

If you'd like a faster bike I totally recommend the 820cc Big Bore / 4 valve head kit! It really brings the bike to life!! ;)

Ha ha

Yes... "faster bite". :) You'll be very happy with the RCS/4-pad caliper set up! It gives the bike so much braking power - and adding the T-Drive rotor (linked below) makes braking only that much lighter. Frankly, I was impressed. Impressed when I had only added the RCS Master and 4-pad caliper, and that much more impressed after adding the T-drive rotor. I didn't think a single rotor set up would be this good, but it does transform the bike from having "adequate" brakes to feeling like it has modern sports brakes.

I personally went for the braking system after installing Todd's 820/Quattrovalvole kit. I was coming into curves hotter and finding that I needed more (and easier) braking. I was hesitant about adding the matching T-rotor because the RCS Master and 4-pad caliper upgrade alone completely satisfied my desire for added braking power, and the rotor is not cheap. I was honestly worried that adding the rotor might be past the inflection point on the cost/benefit curve - but, no... even though the RCS Master/4-pad caliper are an amazing upgrade with the stock rotor - I can honestly say that adding the rotor to the package was worth it. If you just do RCS Master/4-ad caliper you'll be very happy with the results. If you decide to add the rotor as well, well... you'll need to find someway to wipe the grin off your face that just won't go away.

I'm sure I'll go as far as the RCS master with 4 pot calipers and improved lines. Need to save up some money.

Discs sound good too. Are you keeping your second disc Stradagene?

You'll be very happy with the RCS master and 4-pad caliper... I don't think you'll feel any need to add the rotor once you install those. I think it was just perverse curiosity that I decided to add the rotor as well, but I'm happy to say that it was worth it. Surprisingly! (Based on how well the RCS master/4-pad caliper system work), but it was!

I think Todd characterized the RCS master/4-pad caliper system as delivering more braking power than you'll ever need, and that's absolutely correct. Adding the rotor to the combo just makes the delivery of that braking potential that much more precise - it makes it intuitive. You find yourself just finger actuating the lever to deliver the braking that you want rather than having to squeeze the shit out of it.

I think one of the biggest advantages of these components are that the braking becomes readily available. Especially on my bike - which does not have ABS - this is pretty important. With the upgraded brakes I am no longer in a situation where I have to really squeeze down hard on the brake after it 'not quite delivering' the braking power that I was looking for. The small delay and extra effort that results from those situations is distracting and the following need for extra pressure on the brake lever - the urgency of the need to grab more - only increases the risk of not squeezing enough and winding up short or squeezing down too hard and risking locking up the wheel. Needles to say, I'm very happy with this set up: originally with the RCS master/4-pad caliper combo alone, and then with the addition of the T-Drive rotor.

I fortuitously split the pair of rotors with someone else here, so I unfortunately don't have the second one to share... It seems we were both considering the rotor at the same time (maybe because they are on sale at the moment (the RCS is also on sale))??? In any case, it was good timing.

Last edited:
You'll be very happy with the RCS master and 4-pad caliper... I don't think you'll feel any need to add the rotor once you install those. I think it was just perverse curiosity that I decided to add the rotor as well, but I'm happy to say that it was worth it. Surprisingly! (Based on how well the RCS master/4-pad caliper system work), but it was!

I think Todd characterized the RCS master/4-pad caliper system as delivering more braking power than you'll ever need, and that's absolutely correct. Adding the rotor to the combo just makes the delivery of that braking potential that much more precise - it makes it intuitive. You find yourself just finger actuating the lever to deliver the braking that you want rather than having to squeeze the shit out of it.

I think one of the biggest advantages of these components are that the braking becomes readily available. Especially on my bike - which does not have ABS - this is pretty important. With the upgraded brakes I am no longer in a situation where I have to really squeeze down hard on the brake after it 'not quite delivering' the braking power that I was looking for. The small delay and extra effort that results from those situations is distracting and the following need for extra pressure on the brake lever - the urgency of the need to grab more - only increases the risk of not squeezing enough and winding up short or squeezing down too hard and risking locking up the wheel. Needles to say, I'm very happy with this set up: originally with the RCS master/4-pad caliper combo alone, and then with the addition of the T-Drive rotor.

I fortuitously split the pair of rotors with someone else here, so I unfortunately don't have the second one to share... It seems we were both considering the rotor at the same time (maybe because they are on sale at the moment (the RCS is also on sale))??? In any case, it was good timing.
I can understand really wanting this upgrade if you do not have ABS. I will start practicing with the ABS soon, but my impression of the brakes right now is that it takes such a hard squeeze to get the front wheel near lock that I would think it would be difficult to modulate for 100% braking without ABS. One of the advantages of a good ABS system is you can wail on the brakes and let the ABS sort it out, and you will likely be stopping within about the same distance as an expert rider. That depends on the sophistication of the ABS system.

I have had the rear ABS kick in and it seems to have a decent feel. The system is pretty non intrusive in that you don't feel it cycling very strongly. When I start practicing with the front I like to come off my home freeway off ramp at say 75mph and see where the ABS threshold kicks in. I never have understood folks who say they have never felt their ABS kick in, as to me that means they are leaving braking on the table. I want to know in advance how hard I can brake if missing my objective means serious injury. On my modern BMWs I can brake hard enough to hurt my wrists. That's what I want from the Guzzi. To hear the tire howl right before the ABS activates, with a nice firm three finger pull.

The best brakes for power I have experienced were on my 2004 R1200R BMW. They were the controversial and hated by many "power brakes". They had a power booster. True one finger brakes to obtain full braking. Man, they were strong. Only problem, they often enticed me to late braking. Add that with the fact that if the system computer detected any one of several faults, it would shut down the power module, and you would revert to "residual" brakes. The residual brakes were a completely different animal. Many riders thought there were no brakes. No, they were there, felt about like drum brakes from the 70's, very wooden, but if you are flying up to a red light, waiting to brake late because your bike has bitchin power brakes, the system detects a fault, and you now have wooden residual brakes, you better be thinking fast and ready to squeeze very hard (I used to practice with the residual brakes by shutting the bike off while coasting in a parking structure and test locking the front wheel).

In 30,000 miles that scenario happened to me once and I was able to stop well into a cross walk. Scared the crap out of me. Never fully trusted the brakes after that. I think it is arguable that those brakes killed riders. BMW ditched them in about 2006.

Still, when they worked, they were really strong.

We discussed this an upgrade in my other thread, however, we did not discuss the 4-pad caliper. Is that a requirement for this or would the stock V7R caliper and the RCS Radial Master still give you similar performance?

we did not discuss the 4-pad caliper. Is that a requirement for this or would the stock V7R caliper and the RCS Radial Master still give you similar performance?
I would say each part is a 33% increase in braking power and feel. All three, RCS, 4-pad and rotor would be 100% more power over stock. You can do it in steps if you'd like, however you would need the brake line adapter for the RCS to stock brake line;

I would say each part is a 33% increase in braking power and feel. All three, RCS, 4-pad and rotor would be 100% more power over stock.
Does that go for feel too? I agree with you that the stock brakes feel wooden, the main thing I want is to get some feel at the lever, does most of the come from the RCS?

OK, so in summary to get the Brembo RCS15 Radial Front Brake master installed you need the below three items.
  • Brembo RCS15 Radial Front Brake master
  • RCS Resevoir Kit
  • OEM Line Adapter

Guys, I have a wedding coming up and a honeymoon. Stop doing this to me ;) I might do this when I get back...Julyish.

Guys, I have a wedding coming up and a honeymoon. Stop doing this to me ;) I might do this when I get back...Julyish.

You won't regret it. :)
You'll wish you would have done it sooner!

If you plan on waiting until July I would shoot Todd an email to ask how long the sale is going on. Nice to pick up the components with a discount! ;)

Congrats on the wedding!!

I forgot to say that rather than the RCS Reservoir kit that you linked to you can also opt for something like the Rizoma Wave reservoir (It's a nice clean install).

Screen Shot 2017 05 24 at 123406 AM

Stylistically, I actually prefer the classic Rizoma fluid reservoir:
Screen Shot 2017 05 24 at 123048 AM
I think they match the aesthetic of the bike better, but these are so impractical.
You have no idea what your fluids look like or how much is in there. That little window does nothing.

I forgot to say that rather than the RCS Reservoir kit that you linked to you can also opt for something like the Rizoma Wave reservoir (It's a nice clean install).
View attachment 12450

Stylistically, I actually prefer the classic Rizoma fluid reservoir:
View attachment 12449
I think they match the aesthetic of the bike better, but these are so impractical.
You have no idea what your fluids look like or how much is in there. That little window does nothing.

But I see with those you also need to buy specific mounting kits which are about an extra $40.

But I see with those you also need to buy specific mounting kits which are about an extra $40.

No. Actually you DON'T need to buy a mounting kit. :)

At least Todd did not use a mounting kit for the Rizoma Wave reservoir that he installed on my bike (the same installation he used on his V7 II R 820-Quattrovalvole).

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Back