• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Charging issues / Dead battery -- PLEASE READ

Surely you blokes have someone over there who rewinds automotive stators? I know of a couple in my forgotten spiral arm of the galaxy who do it, albeit 400+ Kms from me. I've had a couple done in the past, mainly to eek out more output from them - 1 on a Beemer R100 and 1 on a Benelli 750 Sei) For someone who knows what they're doing (I don't have a clue where to start even) it's not very difficult - judging by the cost compared to new. Just looking at the pix here I'd reckon that you could up the output a little at the same time.

Hunt around - I don't believe they're not out there.

Btw, you'll get a small boost in useable output simply by installing a MOSFET r/r, due it being much more efficient. With your standard r/r it'll become too hot to touch after not long. The MOSFET r/r will not get more than lukewarm after a whole day of hard running. The wasted heat energy becomes electrical energy instead.

Last edited:
Yes, you can still get your stator rebuilt here in the USA. It used to be that every town had somebody who did this in an alternator/generator shop but those places have all been driven out of business with cheap Chinese parts available at the local auto parts store. However motorcycles can still be done right by these people...

rickystator.com/page/rewinds

2015 V7R (still only 1400 miles). Charging at 14.94v...Changed the Reg/Rec with the one offered by GTM as preventive measure (3 batteries in 3 years)...Now charging at 14.80v (fully charged battery). No significant improvement over the OEM unit. Emailed GTM...Crickets! Any thoughts? My 34 years of experience as a professional motorcycle mechanic (Japanese, KTM, Husqvarna), tells me that 14.8v is high, but not too high until you get to 15v. Note that this is my personal V7R, and I have no previous experience with Guzzi and don't know the inherent quirks.

Last edited:
2017 V9 Roamer, 11,600 miles. On road 2018.
Start the day at 13.1 volt battery charge, end of day at 11.4.
Dealer says 12.5 to 12.7 output is correct. Shop manual says 13-14k. They say no!
They are replacing the stator and possibly the regulator.
I have many different brands over the past 53 years, never had this issue.
Is this a common issue, or just a fluke? I have 4 motorcycles, this one calls to me first to ride.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210502_163940.jpg
    20210502_163940.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 7
2017 V9 Roamer, 11,600 miles. On road 2018.
Start the day at 13.1 volt battery charge, end of day at 11.4.
Dealer says 12.5 to 12.7 output is correct. Shop manual says 13-14k. They say no!
They are replacing the stator and possibly the regulator.
I have many different brands over the past 53 years, never had this issue.
Is this a common issue, or just a fluke? I have 4 motorcycles, this one calls to me first to ride.

Thank you!
It's a well known issue with the V7's and since the V9 shares a similar platform, it's safe to say that it can occur with the V9 as well.
I had an overcharging issue at around 15,000 miles and replaced my stator with a MOSFET unit that Todd, the owner of this website, sells on his online store. That along with a LiFePo4 battery from antigravity has made my V7 trouble free.
Also a 12.5-12.7 voltage output should be at LEAST for a healthy startup
With that said a simple search on the website will give an understanding of the issue you're dealing with. there's plenty of information on it.
I will be deleting this later

Stator failures are not uncommon (on those models) and any service person that says 12.5 to 12.7 is a good charge is in need
of more schooling in electrics as they pertain to motorcycles . Hard to imagine isn't it , the battery reads
13+ volts and he mentions 12.5 is going to charge it ? Peter

Yuasa writes:

Unlike Conventional batteries, AGM types cannot be tested using a hydrometer because they are sealed. Instead a voltmeter can be used to perform an open circuit voltage test. The test can be used for both Conventional and AGM batteries. The test is used to determine the following: battery state-of charge, ability to hold a charge and shorted or open battery cells. Before performing an open circuit voltage test the battery must be fully charged.

Charging a battery using the vehicle’s charging system or a battery charger creates a “surface” charge across the battery’s cells. The surface charge needs to be removed before an accurate test can be performed. To remove surface charge, turn on the ignition for about three minutes then turn it off. Let the battery sit for about 10 minutes before completing a test.

Open circuit Voltage indicates what percent of charge the battery has reached after charging. Open circuit voltage for a fully, 100% charged AGM battery is 12.8 to 13.0 Volts. AGM batteries that are 75% to 100% charged will measure 12.5 to 12.8 volts. Conventional batteries have slightly lower open circuit Voltages: 12.6 volts (12.8 volts with Sulfate Stop) for 100% charge and 12.4 for 75% charge.

If after charging the open circuit voltage indicates that the battery is less than 75% charged, the battery is probably no good and should be replaced. Before the battery is condemned, try charging it again. If the battery is still not close to 100% charged it needs to be replaced.

The open circuit voltage test is not conclusive. It is possible to have a 100% charged battery as indicated by the open circuit voltage test that will not start a powersport vehicle reliably. In such cases a load tester is recommended.

Last edited:
Combined this with this thread/post per above note, see this post; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...es-dead-battery-please-read.15720/post-164254

@Redcad -- If you need a stator, I have one in stock;

New stator installed, 13.2 - 14 amp. It worked out. Tech said heat burns them out; but it is the coolest running bike I ever had.
Hope this one last more than 12k.

New stator installed, 13.2 - 14 amp. It worked out. Tech said heat burns them out; but it is the coolest running bike I ever had.
Hope this one last more than 12k.
Thanks for posting the follow up. Also, love if you'd add your info to our V9 Registry;

Back