• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V7II transmission oil: orig 85w-140, shops using 75w-140; causes leak?

William Craig

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hey, folks--- Recently "repossessed" my 2015-16 V7II Stone. (After a crash totaled my Norge, bought the V7II back from the friend I'd sold it to.) Took it to shop for refurbishment. They put 75W-140 in the transmission (aka final drive aka "differential"). This contradicts the shop manual's call for 85W-140.
Recently developed a messy leak which threw enough 75W oil around to make it hard to determine the source. Could be drain plug (loosened, washer fail?) or could be one of the deep-in-there seals (e.g. GU90407591 GU90353030?).
I'm aware from forum that the 75W-140 has been recommended for the new V7-850s. But I can't find any intel saying MG now recommends the 75W in the V7II.
Could the difference in viscosity be the cause of the leak?
V7II riders, What's your experience?
One thread suggested that the air vent plug,if clogged, could cause overpressure.
How do I diagnose whether air vent plug (top plug on hub) is clear?
BTW, I drained the 75W, replaced drain plug washer, refilled with 85W. No sign of renewed leak yet, but watching close.

Thanks!

It makes no difference on the bottom #. 75-85 no difference. But, 140 top # is important. Get that straight 85 out of there.
The shop put in too much oil. It's covered a million times here. 160CC or 5.4 ounces. Put in 5.6 and it will blow it out! Hopefully it didn't damage the seal.

Thanks, everyone! Sorry I wrote "85" after first ref and assumed we'd assume /140. I was feeling I was using too many characters already! :wasntme:
As for the possible effect of using 75W/140 vs 85W/140, thanks, Raven, for your thought. I am never sure about how seriously to take such a difference. The manuals specify, and give dire warnings! But then manufacturers change their minds and issue new standards. Confusing to a non-engineer.
Thanks, Vagrant, re 160cc! The manual, of course, calls for 170cc, but you're passing on collective wisdom re going a little under? I appreciate it. (And yes, a lot of things get said more than once ! on forums, but I never found V7II-only info about the 160cc advice.)
And Kevin, I'm gonna check out that plug!

Back