• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85tt foot peg idea.

JimmyZ1234

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
That hole that goes completely through the oil pan in the V85tt and is used to mount the crash bars can also be used to mount foot pegs. I bought some stainless steel threaded rod (which goes through said hole), some spacers and some foot pegs online and made this (see photo). I did have to tap the mounting holes on the foot pegs I bought to match the thread pitch on the stainless steel rod, but that was easy. The whole job took well under an hour.

With this setup I can push on the foot peg hard enough to lift my butt off the seat if I also have my camping bag behind me as a backrest. This works great to keep my rear from getting saddle sore on a long ride, and alleviates lower back pain at the same time.

Just one thing to consider... The only thing that comes to mind is of the bike getting dropped, or worse yet, crashed. You can count on completely destroying the cases and likely rendering the motor a worthless boat anchor. Hopefully not stranding you far from home if it happens. The engine cases are likely one of the most fragile parts of the bike structurally speaking.

Just one thing to consider... The only thing that comes to mind is of the bike getting dropped, or worse yet, crashed. You can count on completely destroying the cases and likely rendering the motor a worthless boat anchor. Hopefully not stranding you far from home if it happens. The engine cases are likely one of the most fragile parts of the bike structurally speaking.
Yes I understand your concern. If you look closely at the photo you'll see that the crash bar is between the spacer and the engine case and presumably that would take a significant part of the load.

The stainless steel threaded rod I used is not so strong that it wouldn't bend in a crash, but I do not intend to test this anytime soon!

In my design the foot pegs do not fold, but this could be arranged if damaging the cases is a concern.

Thanks for the photos.

Todd’s words on this are wise.

Please do not get mad and I am in no mood to argue with the peanut gallery.

I’m not trying to piss on your parade. I’m concerned for your safety and welfare and your motorcycle.

Please please please consider:

The original purpose of that passageway, was to provide secondary stability to the engine bars which if they came into play, the main brunt of the force is taken by the main frame down tubes. The bracket at the bottom is very short and parallel to the engine case, creating an engineering minimization of forces that would be transferred to the engine case.

Now, you have radically altered this equation.

In the language of Physics, “The Moment of Force” is HUGE.

You have created a rigid lever, and more importantly, what is known in engineering terms as a “First Class Lever”, of what appears to be about 8”-10” long, perpendicular to the engine case. Your design inherently MAXIMIZES the force of the lever because the fulcrum point is as close to the engine case as you can get it. Even the smallest pressures either down or up on that lever, will be amplified by an order of magnitude and will be transmitted to the engine case!

(This is precisely why a 175# man with a pry lever, can lift a 2000# stone up off the ground.)

In essence, you have created the conditions for the worst possible outcome because you will amplify any force to its maximum potential energy.

I fully believe that given the physics of a First Class Lever, a simple parking lot tip over will cause that to snap your engine case in short order. I would bet money on it.

I’m so sorry to bring this news to you but if you bust your case, you are looking at $4-$5k in damage and repair.

Also, standing against it with your weight will amplify the forces on the case dramatically. If you weigh 175#, the force in the other end of the lever will easily exceed 1000 pounds of force. Catastrophically, it could snap unexpectedly with you in motion!

Regardless, it won’t take long for it to cause a case failure.

Please please please consider what Todd has said and what I have shared with you.

This is NOT MY OPINION. It’s Engineering and Physics.

You will experience the Law of the Lever.

{ Mechanical Advantage = F2/F1 = d1/d2 }

Restated in terms of F2^

F2^ = (d1/d2)F1

d1 is the biggest, d2 is the smallest and all that multiplies against F1. This is how F2^ gets HUGE!

46952BFD 7F49 4BB2 A13E 1F4AA8EEB419

Your d2 is so small that your F1 will make your resultant F2^ absolutely HUGE!

👌🙏👍

Last edited:
Thanks for explaination of the lever principle, although I did not not need it as I have two degrees in engineering. You are correct that that this design will transfer force to the case in the event of a tipover. If the rod does not bend at all, the force will be considerable. I'm counting on some flexture to mitigate that issue. In addition, note that the force from the spacer is not transferred directly to the engine casing. The crash bar (steel) base will spread out the force from the spacer, which itself will deform to some extent (the ones I used are aluminum).

Originally I had planned to use foot pegs that will fold back in the event of a tip over, (and in fact these ones are capable of that feature), however in the simplest design you just screw the things on until they're tight, in which case the direction of the fold may or may not be correct. Judicious selection of washer thickness would have fixed that problem but I took the easy way out and just pinned the foot pegs so they don't fold at all. Now that I've heard your thoughts I'll go back and revisit that design. It's easy to do as I have a large selection of washers.

Thanks for explaination of the lever principle, although I did not not need it as I have two degrees in engineering.

This makes twice I’ve tried to help you over the past couple years only to be rebuked. My bad. Apologies, I should have remembered from the last time.

I’m not trying to piss on your parade. I’m concerned for your safety and welfare and your motorcycle.

{Talking to myself}

“Why bother Scott…why bother…”

“Just let them do their thing and say nothing…it’s not your problem and they don’t want your help anyway…just stick to helping those who pay you or ask for your help, otherwise you’re just wasting valuable time and energy for nothing…”

“Remember, the best way to avoid becoming disillusioned is to not have illusions that they care what you have to offer in the first place…”

Last edited:
How do you ride with that?!? That would be “sacrificed” by me to the Gods of Cornering in nothing flat!
LOL First I made a curb feeler with wire and found the max length I could have. Then took an inch and a half off that. Just returned from Arkansas hwy23 and pushed her as far as she'd go, no dragging...

Last edited:
Come on up to NE Ga. or Western N. Carolina. We'll have them gone in no time.
Just came back from the Ozarks no problems...spent 3 days pushing the limits...Don't know why there's not more people saying how well this bike handles on the road. I do have new Michelin 'Road 6" tires on her, can't say enough about them. And ya, my brother lives in Greensboro, so I've been up that way on bikes for the last 35 years.

Seriously, Those are a copy of Moto Werk billet Pegs. I too have a set on the v85 but they are close to dragging up here. Between them, the Honda Goldwing pegs and sometime the rear passenger pegs I can move around a bit.

Seriously, Those are a copy of Moto Werk billet Pegs. I too have a set on the v85 but they are close to dragging up here. Between them, the Honda Goldwing pegs and sometime the rear passenger pegs I can move around a bit.
I like em' because they rotate 30degrees or so at a time, can adjust them forward to extend my legs if needed. Had to lengthen them 3 1/2 " to get where I wanted to be. Haven't even thought about the rear pegs, I'll give it a try.

Well, it didn't take long to scrape some paint off of them, lol. In town around a 'Y' at 15 mph...

What?

I thought you claimed,

Just came back from the Ozarks no problems...spent 3 days pushing the limits...

But now you scraped them at 15mph?

Seriously confused.

I know I would have ground those off in the first 10 minutes of riding. No question about it.

Back