• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT issues and Loose Bits

Just met with another rider on a 2020 V85TT with just under 16,000 km's (10,000 mls) and his rear caliper was also seized on the slide pins.
Thanks for posting on this Ron. They actually do make and offer a pin kit. I can list it on the Store if it's something folks need. Would this alleviate the issue if caught early, or should I also try to stock a caliper?

Hi Todd, I could only find pin kit # GU31659181, but I believe that is for the pins the pads slide on. The pins I am referring to, see part # 8 pin and part # 7 rubber boot in the parts schematic below. On mine one of the rubber boots was not correctly located into its groove allowing water ingress and consequently the slide pin was very rusty and seized. As the caliper is unbranded but identical to a Nissin, I am assuming that is what it is. The two Suzuki parts indicated (59305-27C00 & 59303-14500) were identical and fitted perfectly.

DR Caliper

Last edited:
On my 2023 Adventure I have noted so far:

1. ECU from a Guardia d'Onore.
2. Uneven headlight assembly.
3. Missing button head screw holding on left side color panel to fuel tank.
4. Missing screw holding on black triangular plastic cover just behind rectifier.
5. Light dribble of oil from breather on top of engine.

Quick question on a '23 Adventure...I just got the break-in service done at my local dealer, and rode her home and all was well. FF about 3 weeks and I took her out for a quick afternoon jaunt (about 65 miles, mixed back roads and highway), and I thought I smelled something like burning oil. When I got back to my garage, there was red fluid (I'm assuming engine oil) all over the upper side of the bash plate, and on the cross bar of the center stand. I took off the bash plate and the rear bracket, and there was the same red fluid on one of the lower case bolts, and on what looked like a plate that is bolted on to the bottom (maybe for the oil filter?) Also, I noticed when I returned from my ride the oil level window was completely full so I'm guessing the dealer over-filled the oil? Does this sound like a plausible cause of the oil leaking out on the bottom of the engine case (where all the fins are)?

1708138739828 1708138772258

Here you can see the oil fill level, and the extent of the oil spillage on the upper side of the bash plate.

Thanks!

I take it the oil level is meant to be between the two white lines when on the centre stand or held vertical. It does look a tad high. See if you can remove the excess oil with a syringe. I think dealers put in a measured amount that the book says but I think thats for a new engine thats dry. Either way give your engine a good wipe down and monitor it for leaks. I'm sure it will be fine. All posts on oil related issues that Ive read on here tell you that Guzzi's will blow out the oil if overfilled. My Breva and V100s says the oil level has to be checked on a hot engine.

I take it the oil level is meant to be between the two white lines when on the centre stand or held vertical. It does look a tad high. See if you can remove the excess oil with a syringe. I think dealers put in a measured amount that the book says but I think thats for a new engine thats dry. Either way give your engine a good wipe down and monitor it for leaks. I'm sure it will be fine. All posts on oil related issues that Ive read on here tell you that Guzzi's will blow out the oil if overfilled. My Breva and V100s says the oil level has to be checked on a hot engine.
Thanks Kevin, that's what I figured the case was. I'll give it a warm-up ride and try to remove some of the oil with a syringe. Cheers!!

Oil filter issue. Too loose, didn't get o!e o ring out, possible loose pan bolt.
Also, it is overfilled if photo is with bike on center stand or on both wheels and held vertical. Maximum fill is to the top white mark. Minimum level is lower white mark.

Oil level has been discussed here ad nauseum. All above will be deleted.

I've got a total of 35000 miles on v85's. Unlike other small blocks they don't care if they are over filled. The dealer has way over filled mine twice and I never got a drop in the air box. The breather system is finally fixed!

I warmed her up (15min ride around the neighborhood) and brought her back to the garage...still dripping oil, but without the bash plate I can tell its from the oil cover/bolt. Prior to the warm up ride, I did snug the oil filter cover bolt about 1/8 turn...looks like it did no good.
Took about 70ml out with a syringe from the oil filler. Now level shows full...

Will give it one more go this afternoon...if there's still a leak, I'll be returning her to the dealer. Honestly, should not have to deal with this (or done this much trouble-shooting) after the first break-in service.

Yes a pita when paying $$$ to a dealer. Ongoing maintenance is pretty simple on these, if you can teach yourself to do yourself you will be much better for it along with your bike😃👌. They may of mis-placed the oil cap O ring, and maybe re-used the old crush washer on the oil filter bolt which replies on the crush washer to be a good seal

Yes a pita when paying $$$ to a dealer. Ongoing maintenance is pretty simple on these, if you can teach yourself to do yourself you will be much better for it along with your bike😃👌. They may of mis-placed the oil cap O ring, and maybe re-used the old crush washer on the oil filter bolt which replies on the crush washer to be a good seal
Yep, I don't have a problem doing my own service...just wanted the dealer to do the break-in service...too bad they didn't do a complete job. If I were to re-do the oil change, then I'm out the $$$ to the dealer AND the cost of another oil change (~$68 + shipping for a complete kit).

I warmed her up (15min ride around the neighborhood) and brought her back to the garage...still dripping oil, but without the bash plate I can tell its from the oil cover/bolt. Prior to the warm up ride, I did snug the oil filter cover bolt about 1/8 turn...looks like it did no good.

View attachment 34424

Took about 70ml out with a syringe from the oil filler. Now level shows full...
View attachment 34425

Will give it one more go this afternoon...if there's still a leak, I'll be returning her to the dealer. Honestly, should not have to deal with this (or done this much trouble-shooting) after the first break-in service.

PLEASE!!! STOP.

You DO NOT try to rectify this by tightening that bolt. If you do that more, YOU WILL end up tearing out the threads in the aluminum block with that steel bolt.

The reliance on crush washers is what causes this and it is foolish.

I never install a crush washer that I have not first put a layer of Hylomar Blue on both sides, and allowed it to air cure for a few minutes to tack up a bit. (I’ve written extensively about this product and you can do a SEARCH for Hylomar Blue.)

If you do this before installing the outer crush washer, it will never leak a drop of oil. 👌👍

Next, your oil is way over-filled!

In sight glass windowed motorcycles, the correct and proper oil level location is HALFWAY between those lower and upper marks beside the window.

The marks represent the MINIMUM and MAXIMUM points and if you look carefully at them, the MAXIMUM level is actually significantly lower than the top of the glass window, meaning there should be no oil visible above that line. Just air space! The MINIMUM mark is actually above the bottom of the sight glass so if you see no oil in the window, you are BELOW the critical minimum level!

As a matter of good technique, making sure that the oil level is HALFWAY between those marks is your very best bet for trouble free operation.

The critical concept here is that in truth, oil level ANYWHERE between those MAXIMUM AND MINIMUM marks is ABSOLUTELY FINE and you do not “chase” the MAXIMUM mark ever!

That way, you do not end up with excess oil being blown out the crankcase vent and into the airbox.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Scott. For the record, I didn't fill the oil...the shop did...I took oil OUT because I recognized it was very much past full. Good to know I can take more out and be fine. However, while I don't have the drips of oil on the ground, the oil filter cover bolt has a drop on it, so I'm calling the shop tomorrow to get this rectified. I absolutely should not have to go through all this for a simple job that the shop obviously screwed up on. After this one time, I will be doing all my own oil changes from here on out. Thanks all!!

PLEASE!!! STOP.

You DO NOT try to rectify this by tightening that bolt. If you do that more, YOU WILL end up tearing out the threads in the aluminum block with that steel bolt.

The reliance on crush washers is what causes this and it is foolish.

I never install a crush washer that I have not first put a layer of Hylomar Blue on both sides, and allowed it to air cure for a few minutes to tack up a bit. (I’ve written extensively about this product and you can do a SEARCH for Hylomar Blue.)

If you do this before installing the outer crush washer, it will never leak a drop of oil. 👌👍

Next, your oil is way over-filled!

In sight glass windowed motorcycles, the correct and proper oil level location is HALFWAY between those lower and upper marks beside the window.

The marks represent the MINIMUM and MAXIMUM points and if you look carefully at them, the MAXIMUM level is actually significantly lower than the top of the glass window, meaning there should be no oil visible above that line. Just air space! The MINIMUM mark is actually above the bottom of the sight glass so if you see no oil in the window, you are BELOW the critical minimum level!

As a matter of good technique, making sure that the oil level is HALFWAY between those marks is your very best bet for trouble free operation.

The critical concept here is that in truth, oil level ANYWHERE between those MAXIMUM AND MINIMUM marks is ABSOLUTELY FINE and you do not “chase” the MAXIMUM mark ever!

That way, you do not end up with excess oil being blown out the crankcase vent and into the airbox.

Good luck!

It is small pieces of advice, such as Hylomar Blue that make belonging to this forum worth the small donations to keep it alive. Thank you Godfather .

Back