Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V85TT Mods Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Faisal, Jul 20, 2019.

1. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Just got it firing!

The Great Madstad Project continues. After riding around with the Remarkably Ugly Test Setup for several hundred miles of back road, side road, and freeway, trying various heights and rake angles, using the good old hold-your-hand-in-front-of-you-o-meter to check the airflow, and measuring photos of the installation I had on my Tiger, it still seems like their setup for the 2011-2017 Tiger 800 could work for the V85, and I placed an order so I can give it a go.

If this works, I'll do a write-up with photos and lessons learned. If it doesn't work I'll just pretend it was an art project or something...

Bill Hagan likes this.
  2. ol phart

ol phart Tuned and Synch'ed

JC3, I have made a heel/toe shifter for my V85 as well and love it, nice smooth changes no problem (17.5K on the clock). I do have PivotPez on my bike, I think helps with the gear change. Just have to be careful putting the side stand out as a couple of times I have accidently knocked it into gear, thankfully it just stalled.

Hippo-Drones likes this.
  3. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

How about some pics?

4. ol phart

ol phart Tuned and Synch'ed

Its a bit agricultural, just like Moto Guzzi, but it works and I'm very happy with it. Saves me from extreme pain in the second joint of my left big toe.

Heel toe4a.jpg heel toe7a.jpg

5. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

Nice job. I miss the EV H/T shifter.

6. JC3

JC3 Just got it firing!

Well it would help if I read everything instead of replying immediately. You already provided photos. Thanks again.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  7. DesertPilot

Look what just showed up on my doorstep today :) Phase Two of the Great Madstad Project has begun. If all goes well, I'll start measuring and figuring out how to adapt it tomorrow. Pictures and a write-up to follow...

fig01.20210128.IMG_4181.jpg

Bill Hagan, DTNZ and Hippo-Drones like this.
  8. Fleischer

Fleischer Just got it firing!

I’m looking forward to getting the full system. I love the handling and usability of my V85tt, but it needs more power.

9. DesertPilot

It appears that Madstad will be coming out with a system for the V85 around March, rendering my project to adapt their system for the 2011-2017 Tiger 800 moot. Oh well. It was still fun.

For the heck of it, here's what I came up with. It works fairly well, but I'm sure their system will be better. In particular, I imagine they'll have a much better baseplate design.

20210131.fig01.Outline.jpg 20210131.fig02.IMG_4234.jpg 20210131.fig03.IMG_4233.jpg 20210131.fig04.HolesInUse.jpg x20r60.IMG_4248.jpg f20x60.MG_4239.jpg x20r60.IMG_4246.jpg

UPDATE: My final take on this project is that the system with the OEM windscreen as a baseplate worked great but looked 'odd'. The system with the 2011-2017 Tiger 800 baseplate looked great but didn't work as well. I plan a few more tests to determine why one worked so much better, but since Madstad is reportedly working on a system specifically for the V85, and have far greater design and test expertise than I have, anyone interested in going that route should probably wait for their system to come out -- had I know, I would have waited myself.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Bill Hagan likes this.
  10. Hugh22

Hugh22 Tuned and Synch'ed

Hey uncle Tony. Mine have chargeable battery pack inside and only heat the back part of the glove/hand. They’re good but too thick. I like thinner gloves. What are those and how did you wire them? Thanks.

11. Hugh22

Love those new bolts! Did you literally just swap out the bolts? Any issues with flange gasket? One at a time to keep the header snug? Just wondering. Thanks.

12. Chris Jessop

Chris Jessop Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hugh, on each header pipe I loosened and removed both of the original nuts at the same time. The header pipe stayed in place and didn't move. No issues with the original flange gasket.

13. Hugh22

I know I’m late to the party but.... since you mentioned it, here’s a great and quick article about galling: albanycountyfasteners.com/Thread-Galling-and-Fastener-Seizing-s/1248.htm

14. Hugh22

Thanks for the reply Chris. Nuts still looking good ?

15. Chris Jessop

Chris Jessop Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Yes, thanks.

This is the anti-seize I used:

Copaslip.jpg

16. Hugh22

Cool. Thanks

17. whynot

whynot Rust never sleeps. GT Contributor

Anyone using the Pyramid front mudguard?

"Designed specifically for the V85 TT to provide a caliper mounted mudguard for the front wheel without the need to remove your colour coded fork guards. A very subtle and effective way to protect your engine casings exhaust headers and lower bodywork."

I need something like this (or the Caponard Rally front fender). On my very first V85 ride yesterday, I rode through what looked like some water on the pavement, then I noticed the farm tractor pulled off to one side, a trailer and spreader attached. When I stopped a little further on, I found some nasty stuff on the front of the motor, and the pipes looked like they had caught a disease. I wiped off what I could, then when I got home cleaned the rest off, fortunately it came off pretty easily. Just have to scrub the headers some with Mothers Polish.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  18. Matthew Nuttall

Matthew Nuttall Tuned and Synch'ed

Here is a picture of the V85TT with the 20" Madstad screen. It completely eliminates buffeting for me. The low position allows plenty of air and the high position is great when having to cruise on the interstate at 75mph or so.
    20210403_154017.jpg

2004owene, whynot and Hippo-Drones like this.
  19. PokeyGuzzi

PokeyGuzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

looks pretty good. How is the wind noise with this shield? I’ve used shields on other bikes that cut the wind away from my head and torso, but at the expense uncomfortable increases in noise.

20. Matthew Nuttall

Matthew Nuttall Tuned and Synch'ed

I may not be the best judge for noise. I'm 50% deaf and wear 33NRR earplugs when riding. Wind noise has not bothered me with this setup though.