Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

V85TT tappet noise.

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bob Bourget, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Bob Bourget

Bob Bourget Tuned and Synch'ed

When the bike was new {purchased Dec 2020}, the motor was very quiet. Once I crossed about 1500 miles, she became quite tappy, more so on the right than the left. Did the requisite valve check, and found one loose intake on the left cylinder, one tight exhaust on the right. Not excessive at all, just needed a tweak to be in spec of the .004 I / .006 E. I'm new to Guzzi's so this light tapping might be very normal. You can hear it {especially at light throttle just coasting at around 3K} with a helmet on! Not so much when the visor is down, lol.
    Question....{and I missed this}....why is it a necessity to start with the left side, then go to the right? Just curious more than anything. I have since re-checked it using this method and found no difference in the measurement.
    I have about 3500 miles on it now and it has not gotten any worse {or better}. Well aware that tappy valves are happy valves, but when NEW it was much quieter. Seems strange because the norm is for valves to tighten over time, not vice-versa. Can't seem to locate a video of another sound bite for comparison sake........thoughts?

2. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

This is not an overhead cam engine. Guzzi's get loose not tight. At the 900 mile check the exhausts should have been 1-2 thousands loose and the intake anywhere from right on to 1 loose. Are you 100% sure you were on TDC of the intake stroke? Easy to be wrong for the inexperienced.

Bob Bourget likes this.
  3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Not necessary to check the left first, but if you set the left then go to the right you don't have to turn the engine over very much. Also the tapping is normal. If it gets quiet, then worry.

Bob Bourget likes this.
  4. Bob Bourget

Yup, very sure. Plastic straw, watched the intake valve close then allowed to go up to TDC.........
    Question for you.......why would the method of valve actuation affect whether they tighten or loosen? I don't know of any time driven 4-stroke engine that will result in loose {r} valve-to-actuation clearance. When valves seat, tolerances tighten.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  5. Bob Bourget

Ahhh, makes sense. I kinda figured it was something like that. Just curious though as to what setting they use at the factory when they are set. It MUST be tighter to allow for this "loosening" of the valvetrain for break-in.

6. JasonC

JasonC Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

You need a louder exhaust system!

Tappy valves are happy valves.

Jason

Bob Bourget likes this.
  7. Bob Bourget

I have Todd's y-pipe and am VERY happy with the tone over stock. I just need to accept the fact that these motors make "music", and not "noise", lol. All I really need is to hear another.........! That's one of the things I like about this ride....no one else has one locally anyways. IMG_0062.jpg

8. JasonC

That's a good looking adventure bike!

I have a KLR that is similarly outfitted with Givi hard bags.

Jason

Bob Bourget likes this.
  9. Bob Bourget

I had 2 KLR 650's, a first gen 2006 and second gen 2012. Loved them both. The ONLY issue I had was the power. It would suffice but I wanted a bit more. Traded it for a mint Vstrom 650 then traded it for this one......They were all fitted accordingly as well. This goose is just a bigger KLR....:)

10. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

Somebody will give you a much better explanation, but, there are lots of wear spots on a Guzzi. Cam, long pushrod, rocker and its pin, valve, so loose it is.

11. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I've measured the valve clearance on a hot motor and compared it to the cold motor on many of my Guzzis. In every case, the gap gets larger, not smaller.

So why not run with reduced tappet clearance to reduce the noise? So far, I haven't been game. :worried:

12. Bob Bourget

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the theory of cold vs hot measurements, but wear in over time.
    As you stated, I’d love to experiment with a bit tighter tolerance but…..like you I’m not game.

13. JasonC

And a much more powerful KLR!

Jason

14. JasonC

The recommended valve lash per the MG manual for my 2010 V7Cafe is 0.004" Intake and 0.006" Exhaust. However, I set the lash at 0.006" Intake and 0.008" Exhaust. I can hear a bit of ticking at idle when first started, but it's pretty quiet after the motor warms up, especially at speed. But my Agostini exhaust system is loud enough to cover most tappet noises.

Jason

15. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

The manual I have agrees with your setting.

upload_2021-8-19_13-47-36.png

16. JasonC

Oddly enough, my "Service Station Manual" calls for 0.004" and 0.006"; see below. ValveLash.JPG
    This information contradicts the clearances in the engine manual. But setting them to the looser spec in the engine manual allows for more wear between valve seat and valve.

Jason

17. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

For the V7III 4&6 is supposedly correct.

18. JasonC

Please excuse my ignorance relative to the Guzzi models, but does the V7III have the same engine and ECU as a 2010 V7 Cafe Classic?

Jason

19. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

Not the same heads many other updates

20. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Only "US-spec." Both Euro spec and the sticker under the seat, even on US models puts them at .006/.008"