• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Weeping CARC

john zibell

Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
On my 1100 Breva, I noticed a collection of dirt and oil would form on the underside of the CARC. I could clean it off, and over time it would re-appear. Oil drops never formed and the CARC oil level remained good. The big seal is fine and dry. Fearing an inner seal problem, I pulled the CARC when doing a tire change. The outside of the boot was dry, but oil droplets could be seen on the mating surfaces. I removed the two cross tip screws that hold the boot retainer and noticed oil between the boot and the retainer only. Oil was weeping around the bottom edge. I sprayed some brake cleaner onto a rag and cleaned the mating surfaces of boot and the CARC housing. I applied a very thin film of clear RTV adhesive/sealant and re-assembled boot and retainer. So far, so good. I'll let you know if it re-appears.

john zibell said:
On my 1100 Breva, I noticed a collection of dirt and oil would form on the underside of the CARC. I could clean it off, and over time it would re-appear. Oil drops never formed and the CARC oil level remained good. The big seal is fine and dry. Fearing an inner seal problem, I pulled the CARC when doing a tire change. The outside of the boot was dry, but oil droplets could be seen on the mating surfaces. I removed the two cross tip screws that hold the boot retainer and noticed oil between the boot and the retainer only. Oil was weeping around the bottom edge. I sprayed some brake cleaner onto a rag and cleaned the mating surfaces of boot and the CARC housing. I applied a very thin film of clear RTV adhesive/sealant and re-assembled boot and retainer. So far, so good. I'll let you know if it re-appears.

John,

Just came back from 5 days of riding in W VA and the bike is terribly dirty. Noticed oil and dirt collecting where the rear meets the straight part of the swing arm, underneth I noticed crusty oil hanging on the brake line of my Stelvio. This sounds like the same problen you had? Mine is still under warranty, my dealer is rather "green" should I direct him with your post or let him fumble and discuss with Mother Guzzi and then nothing happens.

I tried this same "fix" 2 weeksa ago, then promptly broke my foot in a non-motorcycle related accident. Won't know if it worked till fall. At least it will have plenty of time to cure.

I'm experiencing this same issue with my 2006 Breva 1100. At roughly 15,300 miles, I have had to take the bike in and have the rear drive seal replaced 3 times. Guess what? Just got home from a 1000 mike tour and it is leaking once again. (4th time). This is getting old. Is there anyone that may be able to help with this?

GrisoGuy said:
I'm experiencing this same issue with my 2006 Breva 1100. At roughly 15,300 miles, I have had to take the bike in and have the rear drive seal replaced 3 times. Guess what? Just got home from a 1000 mike tour and it is leaking once again. (4th time). This is getting old. Is there anyone that may be able to help with this?

As I think I responded to this in another thread, here is the same answer, either there is a problem with the bearing, or there is an imperfection where the seal rides. Just though of other possibilities, the vent is plugged or the CARC is being over filled.

Thanks John, The vent was actually part of the problem. They found that the threads on the vent plug were cracked, allowing gear oil to migrate down and be thrown onto the brake rotor, wheel and tire. The vent plug was replaced last week. The leak has once again resurfaced, after the 1000 mile tour. You mentioned you had already addressed this issue in another post? Where?

My 06 Grisos CARC started weeping around the main seal a couple of months after it was replaced at the recall. The thin plate between wheel and carc was on backwards.This plate was fitted during recall work and was not on the bike when I bought him.I read Pete Ropers post about Carc rebuilds, as you should,made up a jig to hold the carc and jack it apart,stole wifeys old electric frying pan to heat the bearings, bought some "Three Bond 1211" gasket goo. I changed the seal and bearings while I was at it( I know Im anal) and Bobs your uncle.Simple.

Back