• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

850 T GEAR BOX LAY SHAFT LH THREAD TORQUE

Guzzi2Go

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
So I have a problem with my gearbox refurbishment that leads to this question. What is the Torque setting for the Lay Shaft LH retaining nut? My research and the Workshop manual says 115 to 129 ft/lbs. At 90 ft/lbs. I stripped the thread on a new nut just purchased from MG Cycle. Bad aftermarket product or is the 115-129 ft/lbs suspect?
I've been refurbishing the gearbox on my 850 T this past winter and am reassembling it now. The old lay shaft LH thread retaining nut was a bit chewed ( see pic) so I thought it would be a good idea to replace it. It was also loose on the shaft when I pulled the gear box apart. So it definitely had been opened before. So the 115 to 129 ft/lbs is correct? Should I try Harpers or somewhere else for the nut? Any suggestions?

PS I've reviewed the various posted threads pertaining to the 5 speed gear boxs and haven't come across anything specific to this question. My apologies in advance if i have missed it.

IMG 4617 IMG 4615 IMG 4614

I would buy 5 and use blue loctite. Maybe get from a different source also. I do the nuts at 120ftlbs.

Nuts ain't like they used to be. I find loose nuts on 5 sp that have never been apart.

One possible explanation of your experience may simply be something that I have seen many times.

The very popular “click” torque wrenches, all of them, require periodic calibration in order to accurately determine torque correctly.

I would annually send my wrenches out for calibration and adjustment.

If the wrench you are using is older and never been calibrated, it may be displaying a lower value than you are actually applying and this may have been the proximate cause of the nut being damaged.

If you can, you might want to use a newer torque wrench. Perhaps a friend might have one?

A nifty trick I use is a digital in-line torque adapter instrument with an audio indicator. They are used when you must apply a torque “blind” because it is impossible to see a display or there is insufficient room for a regular torque wrench to fit.

(It is amazing how often different wrenches can be wildly off.)

Also, remember that all torque values are presumed to be on perfectly dry threads. If the thread has anything on it, the actual true torque value will be greater than indicated on your wrench due to slippage from the liquid.

I hope this helps you and I wish you Good Luck.

IMG 4435

That torque figure (115-129) is for the right-hand thread nuts in the clutch and output shafts, not the left-hand thread nut on the front end of the output shaft! If you look down at the bottom of the Gearbox list, you'll see the correct torque: "nut, safety" 50-57 ft. lbs.

I've used that same nut, from the same source, and have never had an issue when it was >torqued correctly<!

One possible explanation of your experience may simply be something that I have seen many times.

The very popular “click” torque wrenches, all of them, require periodic calibration in order to accurately determine torque correctly.

If the wrench you are using is older and never been calibrated, it may be displaying a lower value than you are actually applying and this may have been the proximate cause of the nut being damaged.

If you can, you might want to use a newer torque wrench. Perhaps a friend might have one?

A nifty trick I use is a digital in-line torque adapter instrument with an audio indicator. They are used when you must apply a torque “blind” because it is impossible to see a display or there is insufficient room for a regular torque wrench to fit.

Also, remember that all torque values are presumed to be on perfectly dry threads. If the thread has anything on it, the actual true torque value will be greater than indicated on your wrench due to slippage from the liquid.

View attachment 35119
That torque figure (115-129) is for the right-hand thread nuts in the clutch and output shafts, not the left-hand thread nut on the front end of the output shaft! If you look down at the bottom of the Gearbox list, you'll see the correct torque: "nut, safety" 50-57 ft. lbs.

I've used that same nut, from the same source, and have never had an issue when it was >torqued correctly<!
yikes I'll definitly have to review that. I was sure that the

View attachment 35119
Actually its a brand new torque wrench. 50 to 250 ft/lbs, with calibration certificate. my old one is only a 3/8" drive rated to 80 ft/lbs. A bit light for the Norge rear wheel bolts and this work. I like these digital torque adapters though. nice idea.

Yikes! how did i miss that! What did someone say..."Its done right because I do it twice." sigh. Thanks for catching my mistake.

Back