• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

abbienormal

High Miler
GT Famiglia
Everybody has their preferences but Dunlop is not on my favorite brand list. I have done some quick searches and found no other tire except the original Dunlops listed for a 2014 California Touring. Is there anything else? I looked under Michelin, Metzler, Pirelli (same company as Metzler), and Avon. Nothing recommended. I am at 3,700 miles on mine and I figure I am half way through. Just thought I would see what was available.

So now I have to correct myself. If you go to the tire manufacturer's website or several motorcycle accessory distributor websites nothing is shown. Now I would contact the tire companies to make sure they are correct but Amazon.com has an Avon tire specifically called out for the rear of the California but there are a couple Avon tires in the front size without calling out the Guzzi. They also have Metzlers and Bridgestones in the correct sizes. Hopefully in a few months when I really need them the selection will be even better.
Never owned an Avon tire. Continental, Metzler, Michelin and Bridgestone mostly.
I did a search by tire size in Google and sure enough Amazon came up. I laughed till I saw they had them.

A tire thread!

I am also not a fan of Dunlop. I got nearly 5000 miles out of a rear tire, and nearly 7000 out of the front. But they never gave me any confidence in the ride.

I fitted a Bridgestone BT020 on the rear, plenty of tread left after 7000 miles. For the front, the only tire I could find was the Michelin Commander II. This is a long life tire, but it has never let go despite grinding off the "sacrificial anodes" (a metal projection under the floorboards. The plastic "sliders" were removed shortly after purchase).

I'm happy with this combination, but will be looking for matching set, probably try a Bridgestone BT020 or BT021 on the front next time. Perhaps other manufactures will catch up with the unusual front size one day.

It doesn't look like there are many paired options here in the U.S. There's tons of unmatched fronts, only a few rear options.
I see:

Cal 14 Tires:
130/70 R 18”
200/60 R 16”

$FR/RR:
AVON AV71 COBRA - $160/$218
BRIDGESTONE EXEDRA - $101/$147
DUNLOP D251 - $156/$214
METZELER ME880 MARATHON - $145/$198

Looks like someone (not interested mostly in stickiness) might find it worth trying the Exedras for the $. As Dave says, hopefully the tire manufacturers will step up. I'm personally not a Avon fan. The remaining three are just OK in my book (and I'm a big Dunlop fan!).

if it were mine and at the risk of being crucified I would run the 2012 Gold wing Bridgestone tires. 704/709. Front is right size rear is a 180/60. they last and I bet the handling is better. I never did understand why they put a 200 on it other than looks. speedo might be off but nothing ventured nothing gained. next step is a car tire.

Just got back from putting 3,300 miles in rain, dry, highway and back roads around the Cabot Trail on my new Metzlers. I can see some flat spotting on the rear. Front looks good but looking at it and past experience with tires I'll bet it is cupping by 7,000 miles which is what I hope to get out of the rear. Then I'll change both again. I was definitely easy on them as I never scraped the plastic sliders on the floorboards. I had confidence in the tires in the rain with no problems.
For reference I got 4,200 out of the stock tires and was satisfied with the ride and traction but short life and what I perceive as a handling improvement with the Metzlers says no more Dunlops on my Cali. They may have had at best another 1,000 miles on them but the trip and a nail in the rear determined they had to go.
My experience with tires includes not only my own bikes over the years but 20 years working at a Honda motorcycle dealer, long ago 1973-1993, and selling many tires. Dunlops used to be my favorite till about the time the 391 came out. I have tried them several times since and always regretted it. Just my opinion on tires as we all know nobody will agree on what to run.
I'll be curious if anybody runs the GoldWing tire combo. Might work and maybe last.

I've been waiting over a month for the Dunlop 251 front replacement. Supposed to be here Sept 10. I have a new Dunlop 251 on the back. I'm seriously considering buying something different for the front as I'm tired of waiting. Considering the Dunlop Elite 3 radial, which is a recommended replacement for the Goldwing.

My tire of choice is the Bridgestone Exedra Max Cruiser and Touring Tire, matched set front and rear. I almost had my tires replaced when I purchased my 1400-T but did not, big mistake. Photo shows the OEM Dunlop rear after 1,338 miles, 70mph, I-95 Florida, not fun.

Dunlop tire 1 Dunlop tire 2 Dunlop tire 3

Last edited by a moderator:
My tire of choice is the Bridgestone Exedra Max Cruiser and Touring Tire, matched set front and rear. I almost had my tires replaced when I purchased my 1400-T but did not, big mistake. Photo shows the OEM Dunlop rear after 1,338 miles, 70mph, I-95 Florida, not fun.
:eek:

So the tire delaminated internally? A massive manufacturer defect if so. It lost air I assume by the sounds of your post? This is the first I've ever seen or heard of anything like this. Did you contact Dunlop direct on it? If not, I would.

Please post how the Bridgestones work out. Always willing to try something different if enough people say it is better. Not a big fan of Bridgestones but my last set were good. I always end up back on Michelin or Metzler except the BMW R1200GS. I went back to the OEM Continentals after the Michelins. Just did not feel good on the Anakee 2's.

Update on the Metzler 880's. I now have about 5,200 miles on them. Depending on how far you wear your tires down I think the most I would push them is another 1,000 miles and it better not rain much. So I'd say they are about 1,000 miles better than the OEM Dunlops which I replaced in about the same condition at 4,100 miles with a nail in it but the Metzlers did ride better and give a better feel. The front looks maybe half worn at best so probably 2 to one. I may look for a different rear this time. WInter is almost here so new tire time again I guess.

I've got another Bridgestone BT-020 sitting in my garage, waiting for the existing rear to get rid of it's remaining tread. It's got around 8,000 miles, with probably another 1k to go. Not bad for a so-called sport-touring tire.

For the front, I'm gonna try the Bridgestone Excedra, since I found out that the tire shop told me a little porkie about the Michelin Commander II. Turns out it's a bias tire, which some say shouldn't be paired up with a radial. Can't say I've had any issues, I like the Michelin and would fit it again if the Excedra disappoints.

the Michelin Commander II. Turns out it's a bias tire said:
I went with the BS Exedra for this reason - the Michelin CII is Bias belted. The Exedra is great so far, 2,500km fully loaded. I also hope Michelin produce a radial version in our size.

I have 5500kms on both tires, dont see a reason to change yet. When i do change i aim to use a Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial on the rear, not sure when or what i will use on the front. Matching set in the Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial approx 355 CAD.

I decided to test out something different. I picked up a set of Avon AV71 and AV72 Cobra's. Unfortunately I live in NE Ohio and it is 29 degrees out right now plus the bike is on the lift. Back tire is on but front is still waiting for me to turn the bike around. That will happen after I finish cleaning the back and sealing the saddlebags again.
I'll ride down to 32 but I worry about ice after that so road conditions and the amount of salt and gravel rule when it is winter and cold.

I decided to test out something different. I picked up a set of Avon AV71 and AV72 Cobra's. Unfortunately I live in NE Ohio and it is 29 degrees out right now plus the bike is on the lift. Back tire is on but front is still waiting for me to turn the bike around. That will happen after I finish cleaning the back and sealing the saddlebags again.
I'll ride down to 32 but I worry about ice after that so road conditions and the amount of salt and gravel rule when it is winter and cold.
careful, run them at 42psi. I had them on the wing 1800 /2014. front works ok and the rear might work on flat interstates but the Blue ridge pky destroyed the rear IN 2200 miles. next time try the 704 / 709 Bridgestone's. when you finally get tired of paying the price put on the Michelin alpen run flat car tire in 195 55/16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55-16 ZP is run flat a great safety feature. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9781881 go here for a real education.
if somebody hd suggested a car tire to me a year ago I would have said you're nuts! not anymore.

Back