• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1st Gear , high angle downhill Compression , engine stalls

keremarsan

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi ,

I have the experience of 3 times now . If you go downhill with very high slope , if you are in first gear ( going down with engine compression ) , in few time , you loose compression ( engine brake ) and when pulling the clutch , engine stops !!!! now I am sure of the problem because today , it was the 3rd one. Not sure if it concerns only my or few bikes but some injection mapping problem in downhill AND 1st gear is sure ! , be aware of the problem because it can surprise and it can be a safety issue for inexperienced biker !

Keremarsan - I don’t know if what you are experiencing is the issue I had, but, from the very first ride, my V100S would die after riding about 6-10 miles - just as if running out of gas, and as you mentioned, often on deceleration. It would restart, but, die again. Turned out to be a faulty rpm sensor. After waiting many days for the part, once fitted, no problems since. Good luck. If you’re having the same issue, it’s an easy fix! My thread on it here:

Keremarsan - I don’t know if what you are experiencing is the issue I had, but, from the very first ride, my V100S would die after riding about 6-10 miles - just as if running out of gas, and as you mentioned, often on deceleration. It would restart, but, die again. Turned out to be a faulty rpm sensor. After waiting many days for the part, once fitted, no problems since. Good luck. If you’re having the same issue, it’s an easy fix! My thread on it here:

Thank you for the precious information , my case is not like this , I have only problem in high slope descent , 1st gear ... a former engineer I am , I think , generally in all gears , if you close the throttle AND if you have "some" speed : there is no fuel injection ( to reduce fuel consumption ) but below certain speed , the injectors begins to pulse ...

in my case : high slope descent in 1st gear : suddenly engine loose compression : which can be only possible if the electronic throttle body opens more than idle ( maybe much more ) and when I feel loosing compression I pull the clutch and suddenly injector not pulse as much as the opened throttle body needs : meaning lean exhaust present maybe and stals the engine : in other way ( high slope going up or open gas , there is no any problem and I do not have any engine FI error or any sort of error OR any limp home mode activated in the engine/ no error message at all.

I contacted the service : they told me that some other V100 driver reported this issue , probably an injection mapping update will be coming in the future .... so I protect my self. by not using engine compression in first gear ( when high slope descent ) I pull the clutch and I go down in engine idling and slowing bike with both brakes ... not the best way but it is what it is at the moment ...

You can check this situation easily by finding a high slope descent , staying in 1st gear compression , net step will be loosing compression ( electronic butterfly's opens , no other way to loose engine brake ). and when pulling the clutch , engine dies ... MAYBE this Problem can be related to electronic adjustable engine brake system that we have on the bike ... anyway need some update sure for safety first ... in my knowledge our bikes uses Magnetti Marelli injection system not a very common system , ( maybe problem free ) BOSCH system...

Cheers ,

Ahhhh, ok, yes different issue (thx). And, hopefully easily serviceable via electronics👍. I do a lot of engine braking, but haven’t run into that yet. Let us know how it works out! Best of luck👍😁!

Does this happen in any driving mode? I ask because the description of engine braking in each mode is not clear, and it seems to imply that engine braking is minimal in sport mode.

Does this happen in any driving mode? I ask because the description of engine braking in each mode is not clear, and it seems to imply that engine braking is minimal in sport mode.
Very good question because I did not try in different modes ! I am using Tour mode that I adjusted Compression and rebound setting of the suspension settings in manual setting M1 ( I use in Manual mode, not using Automatic suspension settings ) , generally , if driving cool , I use my own settings stored in Tour mode , only if I will go fast , I switch to SPORT mode where I did NOT touch suspension or engine brake with semi auto suspension setting default but it is very rare . In every case , I was in Tour mode when that is happened ... After your question , I will try in sport mode if the behavior changes or not if the compression loose and engine dies again or not !!! thank you appreciate for me and everyone to determine maybe the way the problem occurs ! and update about this issue !!!

Last edited:
Very good question because I did not try in different modes ! I am using Tour mode that I adjusted Compression and rebound setting of the suspension settings in manual setting M1 ( I use in Manual mode, not using Automatic suspension settings ) , generally , if driving cool , I use my own settings stored in Tour mode , only if I will go fast , I switch to SPORT mode where I did NOT touch suspension or engine brake with semi auto suspension setting default but it is very rare . In every case , I was in Tour mode when that is happened ... After your question , I will try in sport mode if the behavior changes or not if the compression loose and engine dies again or not !!! thank you appreciate for me and everyone to determine maybe the way the problem occurs !
Additionally this happens when the descent angle is , I think , can not calculate , approx 25 - 45 degrees ( tangent value approx = 0,60 - 1 ) , in lower descent angels , I did not try this because never I was in 1st gear in lower than 25 degrees descent ( I am estimating the angle , Istanbul is a very difficult city , you have a lot of high slope descent etc .. , not a flat city at all )

You sure you aren't over revving the engine? Might be a protection feature kicking in.

You sure you aren't over revving the engine? Might be a protection feature kicking in.
No , it is high slope very slow descent , the engine rev is about 2500 - 3000 when descending in first gear , and the bike has 1070 km so I set the RPM light to 5500 RPM , I never go up to 5500 at the moment ... initially it was 4200 RPM until first 1000 km so I increase the break in RPM stage by stage...

Happened to me once in my driveway, steep slope, 1st gear, no throttle, bike died. I don't do that anymore.
You need in this case to descend by pulling the clutch and using both brakes ... it is what I do at the moment until problem solved by Guzzi hopefully they will take this in consideration because I written this incident(s) to headquarter guys of Guzzi .
Probably the service will do an update on injection mapping because it is a safety issue !

Your diagnosis does not fly. If the butterflies open how does that overcome the valve action? The cylinder heads control compression not the throttle bodies.
what happens in second gear?

Your diagnosis does not fly. If the butterflies open how does that overcome the valve action? The cylinder heads control compression not the throttle bodies.
what happens in second gear?
In my knowledge , The electronically controlled throttle body can open to decrease the compression ,our bike have this speciality there is no mechanic relation between the cylinder head and exhaust and emission valves workout and throttle Body to decrease the compression , you need to open the throttle valve and let more air to come into cylinders so it is how you can change your engine brake setting in our bikes ( in automatic mode of our suspension , you can change the engine brake , this is directly related to intake air amout let in the combustion chamber even there is no injector pulses , so no gas into chamber just air ( no combustion ). ... the problem does not occur in second gear but we are talking about high slope descent in city narrow roads so I did not try the same situation in second gear because the bike will surely gain speed in second gear and need to brake ( why using brake pads if you have engine compression option ? ). but I can try it when I find high slope large road and give the feedback about that problem !! cheers

Last edited:
Back