• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 Norge Starter issue

Brad Baker

Just got it firing!
i have a 2007 Norge that makes a loud click when starter is depressed. I have added the starter relay fix already. If I connect alligator clip to positive on battery and yellow wire of starter relay she fires up. It's been at MPH shop in Houston since August, 31st and they haven't figured out either.
I can email a video of sound if anyone wants to hear it, can't figure out how to post it here.

I must admit to being near dumbfounded that MPH is stumped.

As for vid, can you not post on vimeo, dropbox, smugmug, or youtube, and then put in link here?

If not, sure send to me; wrhagan <at> earthlink.net

I spent my classroom days on electricity musing on Marylyn B's legs (freckles went on forever ;)), so I'm likely no help, Still, as a fellow early Norge owner (bought from MPH), happy to give it a shot.

Bill

A friend of mine just had a similar problem with his 1100 Breva. He did the relay mod (new kit from MPH), plus new battery installed and had this problem. Changed battery brand and the problem went away. You might want to check the fuse holder for the relay mod. You may be dropping voltage through corroded connections.

Sounds like a sick battery, or earths are not up to scratch. Check all your earths and clean all contacts on the battery and main earth point under the starter cover. if these are good, replace battery.

The startus interruptus fix only works if you don't have a failing or poor battery.

I've recently had similar on my 2003 California. I would hit he starter and it would engage and go "rrr" stop. off the button, back on and away it would go. Usually.
Did the relay mod, no change. Turned out to be the starter. Magnets had come loose, broken up, the grease plate between the armature and planetary gears had also come away and been arcing and rubbing all over the place.

Have them remove the starter and take it apart. They get full of clutch dust and jame up the internals. Had the same issue on my Stelvio.

Needs a thourough cleaning and good lube including the solenoid.

DON'T lube the solenoid - ever! Lube attracts and retains dirt/dust and clogs up again. Clean is the way to go here...

The solenoid has a brass lining, which if clean and dry will provide adequate lubrication. When I took mine apart (07 Norge) it was covered in sticky grease. The starter motor itself was clean.
If it fires up when you connect an external wire from the battery to the yellow terminal on the start relay then you have your cause, it clearly lies in the wire which was fitted in the modification. Just look for a bad connection in that somewhere. Remember crimped connections don't always work too well.
As it starts fine under this condition, I would say the battery is fine, as are the main battery connections.
The 07 Norge will have a Bosch starter (well mine did) so there is no comparison to the type fitted to the earlier California.

If it fires up when you connect an external wire from the battery to the yellow terminal on the start relay then you have your cause, it clearly lies in the wire which was fitted in the modification.

Or even easier, use an external wire from the battery positive to the back of Fuse B for this test. The terminal on the starter relay that has a yellow wire connected to it terminates at Fuse B.

That is a flat/dead battery - no amount of work arounds or fixes will fix that apart from a new battery or a full recharge. If after a recharge it presents fairly soon after, a new battery is the solution. Do the starter mod anyway, it will let you down eventually.

Even though it's showing 12.4 v on the computer? Also I had it on a tender so surprised to think battery. I would have thought Larry and Mike at MPH would have found this but maybe not. I'll check with them.
Thanks all, I'll advise when soulotion is found.

Brad the dead giveaway is the dash screen blanking out when you hit the starter, for this to happen the voltage would be very low instantaneously, causing the screen to blank. The same thing is going on in the starter circuit, so no start is possible. You did well to get the click you did.

If battery then why does Hotwire solution fire it right up? If I connect alligator wire to positive lead on battery and the other end to yellow wire on starter relay she fires right up.

The dash will do that also on a high current draw. Like a dirty starter/solenoid or a loose ground. that does not look like a battery. MPH would be more than capable of ruling out a battery with a load test.

Take the starter apart and give it a good clean and lube (solenoid lube your choice) and then check for a loose ground at the starter or at the battery or chassis. You are loosing current somewhere through resistance. Based on the video and the fact that direct current works I would look for the loose ground first or a loose connection to the starter.

Just my 2 cents and the fact that I had the exact same problem.

Not sure if you know Larry or Mike at MPH or if they follow guzzitech threads but I will continue to forward these ideas.
Thanks

Fyi mine would drop voltage like that too. Made it a pain to use guzzidiag as it would drop out due to the voltage drop.

Or even easier, use an external wire from the battery positive to the back of Fuse B for this test. The terminal on the starter relay that has a yellow wire connected to it terminates at Fuse B.
You couldn't leave that permanently as the front pilot and rear lights are also powered from fuse B and they would then remain on.

All, here is the latest communications from Larry at MPH reviewing what they have tried so far.

Brad,

I did do the load test on the battery, in fact I tried swapping it out.

I have been doing some digging myself. I looks like a bad ground may have been the under laying issue. I've been told a bad ground will blow the ECU. When I out the ECU from Guzzi tech in last week I got the ECU disconnect icon. Regardless of what I did I could not lose it. I spoke to Todd and he says the unit was good when it left there. Since I have no way of bench testing the ECU I have to rely on his thoughts. I put your ECU back in and now I am getting the same ECU disconnect icon. Which gives me more to go on. What I've come up with is a bad ground. I had already checked for that, one of the first things I checked. However the ground for the ECU didn't go directly back to the battery, it does now, but I fear the damage is already done. I am waiting for Todd, Guzzi Tech to get back to me, I want to overnight your ECU as well as his ECU to him to have them tested and reflashed, hopefully that will correct the issue.

Back