• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2008 Norge starting issue

Dycokac

Tuned and Synch'ed
So I ride to work fine this morning. and i go to leave work this afternoon but even though the dash is all set for starting the bike it just won't engage the starter. nothing at all happens when I hit the start switch.

It is hot and muggy here in Michigan today and the bike is sitting in full sun, but I'm confused. the dash does report 98F in the sun so yeah it thinks it's hot so I expect this is purely electrical.

Any suggestions? not seeing much for guidance along this topic when I search the forum for won't start.

Further clues, the windshield won't move with the controls, the horn button won't work, but the hazards switch does activate them...

Last edited:
I would have a look at your fuses. Also here is what you asked for information, I did a search----

In addition to what Steve has said, in that thread is a reference to the kit that MPH sells that make the mod super easy. No cutting and splicing of any wires.

Further clues, the windshield won't move with the controls, the horn button won't work, but the hazards switch does activate them...

I don’t believe this is a hard start situation. Too many other electrical things don’t work.

Your battery is toast. I would bet on it. I’d almost guarantee it will fail a load test, especially at 98 degrees.

Last edited:
I did cannibalize the circuit for the TomTom to power a USB charger in my dash and that isn't lighting up either. I have it home now so I'll be digging into it in the next couple days I guess.

I've never had it crank slowly, but I have had some issues with after riding it around on warm days it would be difficult to start after a 10 minute break and would nearly stall until it's ran for a couple of minutes.

The battery is only 2 years old, pretty sad that it it's dead already so I'll get it tested for sure to rule out things.

I did pull some fuses, there was 2 pods down in the bay with the battery that had some labeled 20 and 30. and I pulled all of the smaller fuses in the bank above the battery bay but none of what I found were blown.

I can hear the click when I press the start button easier with the seat off, but it does nothing with the starter.

quite a head scratcher.

My bet is on a bad battery. I found after moving to Phoenix 40 years ago that 12V batteries often fail suddenly in the heat. They will crank normally one time and then either power up low energy accessories normally, but fail to crank or they fail completely the next time and will not even light interior lights. Since they give no warning of weakness, I carry a small booster battery in whatever vehicle I drive.

Well, the Battery failed a load test. But it's still doing the same thing with a new battery. I need to find my multimeter I guess.

looks like some this is going to be under the fuel tank, or easier to do while it's off?

When you replaced the battery, did you thoroughly clean the battery post contacts with sandpaper or a good wire brush, on BOTH SIDES of the contact.

Also, check the ground wire to the engine. That most likely needs to be removed and cleaned on both sides as well.

Late to this party with likely little to add, but -- mostly because the grass outside is calling me and I don't want to ride the zero-turn just yet ;) -- I'll chime in anyway.:giggle:

So, aside from the classic and required SI fix, I recall various no-start issues with my now (now sold; sigh :cry:) 2007 Norge. "Recall" is a fuzzy word, so bear with me.

First, as odd as it sounds, a visual check of fuses to see if "blown" may not reveal a bad fuse. If you can't check with probe, you might try replacing, especially "A" and "B"in OM, as mine seemed frequently to need R&R.

OBTW, does your high beam work? That and dead horn became clues to me while underway that restarting was going to be an issue, i.e., park on hill! The windscreen motor is on that fuse, so mebbe. OTOH, so is hazard flashers, but yours work. Mysterious.

Others' mention of ground issues are worth checking. I (think I) remember an early tech bulletin that mentioned the propensity for the ground to the starter to work loose.

Time to go riding ... the mower! :)

Bill

First, as odd as it sounds, a visual check of fuses to see if "blown" may not reveal a bad fuse. If you can't check with probe, you might try replacing, especially "A" and "B"in OM, as mine seemed frequently to need R&R.

OBTW, does your high beam work? That and dead horn became clues to me while underway that restarting was going to be an issue, i.e., park on hill! The windscreen motor is on that fuse, so mebbe. OTOH, so is hazard flashers, but yours work. Mysterious.

That clue on which of the dead accessories I'm experiencing are also on the same circuit is helpful. Thanks Bill.

When you replaced the battery, did you thoroughly clean the battery post contacts with sandpaper or a good wire brush, on BOTH SIDES of the contact.

Also, check the ground wire to the engine. That most likely needs to be removed and cleaned on both sides as well.

When I replaced the previous battery I had used the battery lubricant and all the wires where still coated in that stuff with no obvious corrosion, but I only wiped that stuff off and didn't use a wirebrush but it was good spark while reconnecting the leads.

Now to find my multi meter, while it's cooler in the garage and the sun isn't blazing through the door.

Found my multi meter.

Got voltage on all the fuses.

However I pulled the tank and found this up infront of the left head... So ion going to see about cleaning that up. It's probably where my short is...

And just an update after getting a cab of QD electronic cleaner and blowing out that plug. I got the windshield motor, starter and nav circuits back. Seems my USB jack is toast, I have 12v on the leads but it won't light.

But bike turns over and starts again!

Attachments

• PXL_20220618_151009766.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220618_151009766.MP.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Mine just started having that problem — I have another new battery ready to be ordered, but after charging the battery, I do have power going to the ECU and dash, until I stab the starter button, then I hear a relay, but nothing else, and everything blacks out and runs through the light show again.

I got an ECU disconnect error once, but no other warnings. Ran through diagnostic, and got an X for M 08.

I have to run through the whole bike to troubleshoot, all without a working multimeter, and I’m hoping that this isn’t going to break the bank.

Looks like my riding season might be over.

Dash 08 is an oil pressure fault in memory. Not uncommon and if not active a non issue. You are describing a bad battery situation. Even if relatively new it can happen. Surface voltage is good, but as soon as you get a load from the starter voltage drops below minimum.

Dash 08 is an oil pressure fault in memory. Not uncommon and if not active a non issue. You are describing a bad battery situation. Even if relatively new it can happen. Surface voltage is good, but as soon as you get a load from the starter voltage drops below minimum.
That’s what I’m thinking, too, so fingers are crossed that there isn’t an underlying problem. It’s not going to hurt to go through the connections with some cleaner!

That’s what I’m thinking, too, so fingers are crossed that there isn’t an underlying problem. It’s not going to hurt to go through the connections with some cleaner!
UPDATE: thank you so much for the reassurance that it was the battery (again)! I picked up a LiFePO equivalent, installed it, and my Cobra Chicken started right up like nothing was ever a problem!

Back