• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 Norge 8V Clutch Slave Cylinder Leaking??

Guzzi2Go

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
So I've been reviewing the various threads on the 1200 clutches and slave cylinder. Good general info for my question but not specific.

As I've just completed a swing arm and suspension linkage bearing inspection and grease (they were not too bad) and I've been noticing what I consider sub-par clutch operation, so I've decided to pull the slave cylinder. Question: Should the cavity be dry that the slave cylinder sits fits in, in the rear of the gear box? I found quite a bit a fluid there, looking like the blackish brake fluid that I just bled out of the system last week. As well there was a thin bit of rubber that came from around the piston. You can see the thin piece on the paper towel in the pictures inserted below. My belief is that the seal on the cylinder has failed and hence the cylinder is leaking. Does anyone have experience with this issue and can shed some light on the subject? I presume I will have to purchase a complete unit.

IMG 4709 IMG 4707 IMG 4699 IMG 4697 IMG 4695 IMG 4696

Hi.
It may help to think of a simple hydraulic system like this:
The master cylinder piston is forced (via the clutch lever) along its bore. No fluid should by pass its seal.
Movement of the fluid (largely, fluid cannot be compressed-only subjected to a pressure) pushes the piston at the slave cylinder and that movement via linkages and so on, operates the clutch release mechanism.
Think of the slave cyl as a mirror of the master cyl. No fluid (none) should leak at either end.
Therefore, if there is a leak, the seal on the piston is damaged or has got compromised (gone soft).

Sorry if that's a long-winded explanation. Bottom line is, you may be able to renew the rubbers but that is a waste of time if the cylinder bore is damaged.

FWIW, to over simplify things, hydraulic brakes work in much the same way. Any leak is a bad leak.
Good luck with the repair.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken: I guess I was thinking more along the line of “is there oil supply from the tranny into this area to lub the thrust bearing”. I’m comfortable working with brakes though I’ve never had a bike with a hydraulic clutch before this one so I was not sure what to expect. But you’re right, if there is no oil to the area then I’m going to have to replace the slave cylinder. Tomorrow I’ll finish pulling things apart to check the thrust bearing. I’ve read quite a bit about the earlier 1200s where there were problems with the thrust bearing. Hopefully that will not be the case here.

If it is leaking out of rear cover from hole for slave then it will be trans fluid. There is an O-ring on the outside of slave cylinder that stops the oil. AND it has no part # as I remember.

Last edited:
Thanks yep I've got the O ring out. There was no leaking external to the Slave Cylinder. The fluid was only when I pulled the slave cylinder housing way from the body of the gear box. It was in the cavity and also dripped out a bit from the cavity. The bit of black plastic was from around the piston and seal. Thats what is making me think that the slave cylinder, as a unit, has to be replaced.

Thanks Ken: I guess I was thinking more along the line of “is there oil supply from the tranny into this area to lub the thrust bearing”. I’m comfortable working with brakes though I’ve never had a bike with a hydraulic clutch before this one so I was not sure what to expect. But you’re right, if there is no oil to the area then I’m going to have to replace the slave cylinder. Tomorrow I’ll finish pulling things apart to check the thrust bearing. I’ve read quite a bit about the earlier 1200s where there were problems with the thrust bearing. Hopefully that will not be the case here.

Think about what you are proposing here…

A hydraulic system is a closed, sealed system. Always.

If you have hydraulic fluid in there, it is because you have a leak. Given the amount of rubber seal you have on your paper towel there, I am not the least bit surprised.

Back