• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2015 V7 II clutch upgrade from V7 III?

356Cruzer

Just got it firing!
Hi Guzzisti,

I sat on a 2018 V7 III and was amazed at how much lighter the clutch action is compared to my 2015 V7 II. (And yes, my clutch is properly adjusted with a cable in good condition.) This leads me to ask:

1) What are the technical differences between the clutches? I tried researching online and only found a reference to the V7 III having "a new 170mm single dry clutch disk". But I'm really keen to get more technical info.

2) Is it possible (compatible) to install V7III clutch components (e.g. that 170mm disc) into a V7II?

My V7II is a keeper and if I could just get that lighter clutch action from the later model then it would be the icing on the cake.

There could be a difference in the actual plate, but the feel difference is because they made the clutch actuation lever about an inch longer on the transmission of the III compared to the six speed on the 2016 II. The III only needs 4-5# to keep it held in and the II takes almost twice that. The only cure I see is to get the 2017 lever and use it with an extension on the case that the cable goes into.

There could be a difference in the actual plate, but the feel difference is because they made the clutch actuation lever about an inch longer on the transmission of the III compared to the six speed on the 2016 II. The III only needs 4-5# to keep it held in and the II takes almost twice that. The only cure I see is to get the 2017 lever and use it with an extension on the case that the cable goes into.

Thanks Vagrant 👍. You've given me something to think about. Will dig around the II and III parts diagrams and see if I can make this idea work.

If you figure it out I want to know.
I have the same issue with my 2001 EV only it's worse. I did a hydraulic set up and the same might work on the v7 but it is a bit short on stroke and you have no way to know if there is any free play.

This is what I've done since my last post:

1) I measured the lever arm on my V7 II. It's 12cm center to center. I found a used 2018 V7 III at motorcycle dealer and sneakily measured the lever arm on that bike. Also 12cm!

2) I next compared the parts diagrams for the clutch on the V7II and III. Some bits had different part numbers, others were the same. But would the clutch bits with the different part numbers on a V7III work on a II?

3) So I contacted Stein-Dinse, one of the largest Guzzi parts suppliers in Europe (based in Germany). They said there is no parts compatibility because the III "has a new clutch system with a larger 170mm clutch disk".

So that's where the rabbit hole ended :rofl:

Back