• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2017 V7 III Check Engine Light

I took my bike in to the dealer and the mechanic checked the bike and cleared codes. He told me there was a software glitch that made the CEL come on. This is a Guzzi dealer for many years (RAZEE in N Kingston RI) that I really like andI trust they know what they are doing. I bought two other bikes from them over the years. The light is out and I am only to about 500 miles, so if there are any more issues I will report back, but for now all is good.

Here's my solution to the persistent CEL problem. I learned it years ago from Click and Clack's "Car Talk" radio program that used to air on NPR.

Jason

CEL

With some “Systems” [ECU] it has to run without error for N times and then system will clear the code itself.

If your close to a dealer and it’s no inconvenience to take it in, that’s probably best.
You wouldn’t want to blow up your bike waiting for the system to figure out there’s nothing wrong...

I’ve had several motorcycles come into my workshop with expensive needed repairs, because that the owners “thought” the warning light was wrong, or an error, or tripping out, or ???.

My advice is always, don’t assume nothing is wrong, because if you are wrong, you are going to be in pain soon.

Better to assume it is accurate, and find out the real problem ASAP. If it does indeed turn out to be an error or glitch, no harm - no foul.

Better this way than the other.

The FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (which will tell you how to read the codes) and many other resources like wiring diagrams, etc, are available in the DOWNLOADS section. You need to be a donating member to gain access but there is no set amount.

You can DONATE in the menu to the left sidebar, what you feel is appropriate for the value and help you receive here.

Every little bit helps keep this site 100% FREE FROM ANNOYING ADVERTISING.

Welcome and I’m glad you took my advice. You saved yourself an expensive warped rotor there!

There's no doubt that warning lights should NEVER be ignored but it's easy to understand why some people do dismiss them as mere suggestions.

I'd love to see some stats on the percentage of warning lights that signify nothing beyond a ghost in the machine.

I'm sure some members here recall the early days of TPMS and the ridiculous number of false warnings. I've got a 2010 Jeep with a TPMS light that's been on for 3 years. Before that I drove a 2008 Nissan that gave so many false warnings the local dealer joked that it was a secret strategy to get owners to bring the vehicle in to be "repaired."

Trust me!

Every motorcycle mechanic I know, scratches out a living, some better than others, but none of us will get rich doing this. It’s a labor of love for the most part.

Just because I’m obsessive compulsive and also because it’s the right thing to do, I often times end up doing a great deal of little and big work, for free.

In addition, I’ve yet to actually charge the real time it takes for certain complex jobs.

The book rates assume perfect conditions and perfect outcomes, which unless you are wrenching on a less than 2 year old motorcycle, it’s never going to happen that you can consistently meet or break the book time. That’s why all shop software has a multiplier factor for labor (ie 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2.0x or more)

I tell my customers this truth almost daily.

Anybody who comes into my shop telling me how much time something is going to take, politely gets shown the door. Ditto to anybody who even remotely suggests or insinuates that they are being cheated or gouged. It’s Bye Bye Felicia!

A very small few have made that mistake but only once!

The look on their face when I push their motorcycle to the curb and bid them goodbye and to never return, is priceless.

The best day was the wife that started slapping the shit out of her dumb husband for making such a rude comment to me as I ejected him and his bike. I was the only shop within 400+ miles that was willing to help him out on his very old (45+ year old) motorcycle.

After she got done smacking the shit out of him, he came back in apologizing profusely and begging me to forgive him and help him.

Given the beating he took from his wife, I gave him a 2nd chance. He’s a very good and loyal customer now. 👍🙏

That was a fun day! 😁😁😁

Last edited:
Yes. As far as I can tell, the V7 and V9 platforms do not have any on board capacity for reading and displaying the stored fault codes. (One of the main reasons I don’t like the platform - if I cannot work on it myself, then I’m not interested)

The Service Manual only lists the activities that can be seen and cleared with the P.A.D.S. System, which is a dealer-only tool which is sold by Piaggio to authorized service centers.

You will have to take it into a service center. You have no other option.

I notice this issue a lot on V7 and V9 models.

I don’t have one but if I did, I would be very inclined to use Saran Wrap around the switches and injectors/sensors, before washing.

Perhaps this would help mitigate water intrusion and erroneously triggering the warning light?

Back