Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

850 V7 test drive

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by ArtCFartC, May 23, 2021.

1. ArtCFartC

ArtCFartC Just got it firing!

Just test rode a 2021 850cc V7 at AF1 Racing in Austin, TX, Friday. Loved it, but wish it wasn't in Austin traffic. Also wish I had $11K in disposable income to take it home.

PXL_20210521_212814792_resize_56.jpg

foggy95, aproud1 and PepperoniBros. like this.
  2. aproud1

aproud1 Tuned and Synch'ed

Definitely more get up and go that the V7iii. No lugging at lower RPM's, rear suspension is greatly improved, clutch is much lighter. Gear box feels the same.

That blue paint is stunning in person.

ArtCFartC likes this.
  3. Miguel Gomes

Miguel Gomes Tuned and Synch'ed

I agree on the better rear suspension and that the blue is very nice.

But I did not find the cluch lighter than the V7 III, felt the same to me. And I found the gearbox a bit different, more clunky and easier to find neutral. Also, I was expecting a bit more acceleration, by looking at the power and torque increase. Based on what I felt, having 52 hp or 65 hp is almost irrelevant for this type of motorcycle... It felt like it. Oh, and I could feel the weight increase.

4. aproud1

aproud1 Tuned and Synch'ed

Maybe I should say vs my V7iii?

5. foggy95

foggy95 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Only downside I can report thus far with my V7 850 ... the fueling is not as crisp and consistent as my V7III, so far anyway .. at 200 miles.
    Especially at a constant, light throttle speed, an occasional 'hiccup' or 'cough' ... never felt with my V7III.

No mods so far with my 850, evap equipment still in place because they've added an electrical sensor to the system that, if disconnected, will undoubtedly trigger a MIL code to the dash if left open.

I also had the well documented rear diff leak on my new 850 ... so far all I've done about it is drain the rear diff and carefully refilled it with the correct amount and grade of oil. Haven't had the chance to test the results yet - grand kids had me busy last few days and am now looking at three days of rain in the forecast ..... oh well. I guess I'll go out to the garage and wax her again .... and polish those pretty aluminum wheels!

Miguel Gomes likes this.
  6. Louisv97

Louisv97 Cruisin' Guzzisti

is it me or does it feel like a bigger bike size wise? I felt the weight as well. I also did not like what they did with the friction zone, it feels real sloppy.

7. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

For me, the 850 Stone doesn't feel bigger than my previous V7II, but it definitely feels heavier. The curb weight (with all fluids) spec of the V7II was 436 lb and the new 850 Stone is 481 lb, that's 45 lb heavier. For me, the new clutch is easier and also, when adjusted to spec, has most of the action near the top of the lever travel. I'll probably increase the free play by a mm or 2, to get the action closer to the middle of the lever travel. The throttle feel is a bit sloppy, but I think that's because the throttle cables have too much slack. I'll tighten them up a bit and see if it makes any difference. I have not experienced any hiccups in the engine. Nor any hesitation on a cold start.

8. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Free play specification for the clutch is 2mm, don't make it any more than that.

aproud1 likes this.
  9. vagrant

vagrant GT Reference

YEP! Neutral gets hard to find at 4mm.

aproud1 likes this.