• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'91 Cal III rebuild

loophole

Just got it firing!
My big valve Cal III is getting a litttle long in the tooth, so I'm starting a restoration project. I never liked the tank and seat, so I plan to start by replacing these with T-3 tank and G-5 seat. Eventually I want to build a sort of big valve Cal II
Any one know what bits and pieces I'm going to have to scroung/fabricate to fit the tank and seat to the Cal III frame?
Any other thoughts on this project?

Thanks for your help.

Steve K

For changing fuel tanks you may be lucky. I don't believe the aribox will be in the way. Also check to see that the front of the frame isn't too wide to accept the T-3 tank. If it isn't too wide, you will need the following T-3 parts, front tank mounts, upper rubber block (on Frame) and the two rear rubber supports. The tricky part will be fabricating a method to secure the back of the tank, but that won't be impossible. Also you will need to drill and tap, maybe even weld thin nuts to the steering stem for the front tank mounts. Be careful how wide you go as the CA III steering head I believe is a larger diameter than the T series and CA II. For the seat, I'm not sure what you will need to do. If you can fine someone with a T to CA II you can take some measurement for comparison and conversion points for the steering stem.

Parts for tank mounting:

2 ea rear blocks 14 10 90 00
1 ea buffer (upper block) 14 10 71 00

front tank mount parts :
2 each of the following

98 05 44 25 screw
95 10 02 55 washer
91 18 08 10 spacer (goes inside the next part)
14 30 71 00 rubber bush

The rear mounting strap is 14 10 25 00. You will need to add a hook to the under side of the upper frame cross member for the stock mounting to work.

You will need to make sure the petcocks clear the 40mm carbs too. You may need to change to the MK IV or V LeMans style petcocks.

Sounds like an interesting project. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks very much for the help. I've ordered the tank and seat. I'll start looking for the other stuff. If anyone can send me a copy of the T-3 parts catalogue pages which show the tank and seat I probably can figure the rest of this out.
Steve K

Many thanks, John. This is exactly what I need. hope I can return the favor one day.
Steve K

For anyone interested in this project, here's what I think I've learned so far. I've found a nice '97 EV frame which will allow me to start this project while I'm still riding the Cal III. Both the Cal III and the EV have a couple of nuts on the side of the
steering head which appear to be attachment points for the front of the T3 tank. I'm told Harpers has all the parts to mount the tank to the frame. The two tabs on the frame which held the rubber pieces to mount the EV tank will have to be cut off. and a piece welded to the frame under the rear of the tank to hold the strap which holds down the T3 tank. It appears that the tank will fit right on the EV frame when those tabs are cut off.
Likewise, the G5/Convert seat fits right on the EV frame, but I'll have to make a bracket to hold the rear of the seat to the frame, and
another one to fasten the front of the seat to the frame.
I'll probably have to cut off the tabs which hold the EV side panels, then weld on new ones to hold something from an earlier Guzzi.
I haven't figured out what will have to be done to mount the Cal III electrical stuff to the EV frame, but I can't see any problem that can't be solved by welding on a few tabs.
The problem which I haven't got a good handle on is how to mount the guages and indicator lights. The Cal III has a cheap looking plastic piece which holds pretty Veglia guages in cheap plastic cases. I guess this is a custom project from the start. Anyone have any ideas?
Steve K

Steve
MG Cycles has aftermarket instrument console that has a similar appearance the T-3 configuration except its not plastic. I can take and upload pics of my, mostly stock, T-3 if that would help. Rafael

Back