• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Alt belt life?

Nordicnorm

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
2007 B-11. 55,000 km. I have the replacement belt. Should I replace it now, as recommended? Or has time proven otherwise?
There is a special tool for the installation. I do not have it.
Your collective insight would be much appreciated.

I would check the condition of the belt. If no cracking, run it longer. Also the darn manuals call out the tool and says to tighten to the specified torque, but the torque value is not stated in any of the documentation. The belt isn't under a great deal of stress so I believe the recommended change interval is very conservative.

I also have a belt to change in my Griso 1100. I purchased the belt a while ago and right now the Griso is at 36,000+ miles (58k). After reading the posts I think I'll wait to 50,000 miles or so.

I plan on doing the "turn of the belt" belt tensioning. I don't need another odd tool.

I changed the belt last year while doing normal maintenance. If you have the belt and are already in there, then why not?
I used no special tools.

I would probably not have done this as the only thing going on. It was sort of a pain on my 1200 Sport but since I already had the tank off I decided to go ahead.

did mine at 75000 km - old belt looked in perfect condition - only went in there as there was a nut missing on one of the alternator mount bolts between the cylinders - decided to do it then just in case. No special tools used - common sense (which isn't common) prevailed.

Great advice everyone. Thank you.
I think I will postpone till fall, as I am doing other stuff as well at the moment, and the weather is too good to sit in the shop.

Did a bunch of stuff in Nov/Dec '15. Oil, Valves, Inner plugs and the belt, at 65,000km. The old belt looked no different than the replacement, even when bending it (no cracks). I won't live long enough to need to do that job again, by the looks of it.
For tension, I used "common sense" which in my case is highly un-common.

When you think about it, that same belt (though longer perhaps) will be running an alternator, power steering and air con plus perhaps a water pump on a different engine, and they last 50k miles no problem. They are also usually not enclosed so not in the same clean environment.

You are right, Brian. My Honda Odyssey (mini van), runs a belt much longer than the one holding up my pants...
Replacement is scheduled @ 100K miles. The Harley drive belts of the last many years, ended up lasting much longer than expected, but it was new technology at the time, so they did not want to risk an issue. Live and learn...

The Harley drive belt was new, but you can't say the same about these ribbed auxiliary drive belts. But Guzzi have always been extremely conservative with their service intervals.

I only chime in because I just finished R&R'ing that belt while in the course of other maintenance.

Sure is easier when front wheel and forks are off and out of the way. Kinda like the Guzzi service manual that depicts all work with the engine on a bench. :shake: Can't imagine doing that job at the side of the road as NJ Nick did a couple of years ago!

Anyway, mine had 22K or 67K miles on it. Yeah, that's helpful, huh? :wasntme:

The reason I do not know is that MPH may have swapped it out when the engine seized early on on account of oil-pump failure. :swear:

Can't recall, and looking for that service record is too hard (code for "I am lazy.":snooze:).

On inspection, the old one looked and felt fine ... comma but.

I did notice quite a bit of black dust within the belt "chamber," so maybe it was worn in ways not immediately apparent.

What I thought was odd was that the new belt was noticeably "longer" than the original. Had the reverse been the case, no surprise, as I might have expected some stretching over time. Yes, both same Guzzi belts.

Bill

Back