• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Audace brakes self engaged - RESOLVED

Ken Wantje

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So I am familiar with the front master cylinder recall related to an improper amount of freeplay that can lead to the brake engaging unexpectedly. Earlier today I was turning onto my street and I felt the brakes engage and bring the bike to a stop halfway into my turn. A very uneasy experience to say the least. I actuated the front brake lever a few times and then did the same to the rear brake lever when it released. This led me to believe it was the rear brake that had engaged. I was not going very fast into the turn and don't recall actuating either brake so I'm not sure how this happened.

Only two things can cause that. 1. You over used the brake system by unintentionally keeping the lever or rear brake arm actuated, or... 2. The caliper pistons are sticking. Scott covered the how and why to clean your brake calipers often on another thread. I concur.

IIRC, there have also been a few posts about small stones getting trapped in the rear brake pedal mechanism causing the rears callipers to remain 'on'. Not sure if that applies here but might be worth digging out the thread.

The other culprit is OVERFILLING the reservoir!

If you over fill it, and the fluid gets hot from braking, there is no place for the fluid to expand, and pressure is build up in the line causing the brakes to engage.

This occurs because people cannot resist trying to fill every fluid on the motorcycle to the maximum fill point.

I see it all the time.

Good luck!

So I did confirm that it's the rear brake hanging up after it happened again today but since it happened on the road I was not able to determine if it was the linkage, the brake cylinder or the caliper. One thing I did notice that I'm going to resolve is how close the rear brake master is to the exhaust pipe. There is less than a 1/2" gap. It could be overheating, though this has never happened before even on longer rides. I plan to wrap the pipe and place a small piece of heat shield material between them.

So after a careful inspection of my rear brake assembly it appears there were 2 things causing the rear brake to stick. The rear master cylinder, besides being too close to the exhaust, was crooked in relation to the plunger/ rod that engages the piston. This was causing uneven pressure to the piston and when this was combined with the poor design of the dust boot that is supposed to prevent dirt and debris from entering the cavity, it was causing the piston to stick. The solution was to clean out the cavity, spray some silicone in there, bend the mounting bracket to properly align the rod and apply some black rtv around the rubber boot/rod to prevent any dirt from getting back in. Very poor design having the master cylinder 1/2 from the exhaust and 6" from the ground fully exposed.

Very poor design having the master cylinder 1/2 from the exhaust and 6" from the ground fully exposed.

I believe that it’s the same basic design as just about every Harley Davidson and most metric cruisers really.

Master cylinder affixed to the frame rail, under floorboards, right next to exhaust headers.

They could have designed the boot a little better so it seals out any debris and I added some heat wrap to the exhaust above the master. Seems ok now.

Yet another reason I won’t get a 1400 engine bike or a V7 / V9 / V85 motorcycle.

These types of errors and omissions and poor quality components just causes me pause all the time.

Call me crazy but I never seem to encounter any wacky issues like this on my other motorcycles. Never once.

Yet another reason I won’t get a 1400 engine bike or a V7 / V9 / V85 motorcycle.

These types of errors and omissions and poor quality components just causes me pause all the time.

Call me crazy but I never seem to encounter any wacky issues like this on my other motorcycles. Never once.

Scott,

You're crazy. The model has nothing to do with good design practices or poor design practices.

Scott,

You're crazy. The model has nothing to do with good design practices or poor design practices.

I'm "crazy" because I hold an opinion not the same as yours. Ok.

In my estimation, these 2 platforms have been plagued with excessive issues from poor quality components. The forums are literally filled with issue after issue after issue.

Again, my opinion. It's solid enough for me to know that I do not want any model from any of these platforms.

To those that have and own a model from here, I say "Good for you! I wish you happiness. Unfortunately, they are NOT my cup of tea."

Enjoy what you have.

Last edited:
^ No oil pump issues :) . Just being an ass , at least we're still riding them . And compared to the transmission
recalls on the Yamaha R 1's and FJR1300's , we have absolutely no issues ! Peter

I'm "crazy" because I hold an opinion not the same as yours. Ok.

In my estimation, these 2 platforms have been plagued with excessive issues from poor quality components. The forums are literally filled with issue after issue after issue.

Again, my opinion. It's solid enough for me to know that I do not want any model from any of these platforms.

To those that have and own a model from here, I say "Good for you! I wish you happiness. Unfortunately, they are NOT my cup of tea."

Enjoy what you have.

Scott,

Settle down. You invited me (us) to call you crazy. I complied and provided a reason for my comment. This has nothing to do with differing opinions. :eek:

Scott,

Settle down. You invited me (us) to call you crazy. I complied and provided a reason for my comment. This has nothing to do with differing opinions. :eek:

So sorry! I missed your tongue in cheek reply but more importantly, I forgot what I wrote and you are right, you replied exactly as I said!

:D:D:D

Sometimes, I'm just so busy and flustered, I get disoriented online and to be truthful, like it says in my Signature, I am befuddled by non-verbal, non-personal communication. No inflection, no facial cues, no auditory levels to evaluate. I just hate text on a page because it's very hard for me to figure out what others are saying, or to express myself without being misunderstood.

Thanks so much!

I'm glad you love your model. That's all that really matters anyway. I always say, "Ride what you love so you will love what you ride!"

Back