• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Battery drain while riding

Tra$hVVizard

Just got it firing!
I haven’t been able to find anyone else having this issue on the forum. I’ve only seen the battery overcharge issue, which I didn’t experience.

I bought brand new 2019 V7 III from the dealer a couple years ago and have been through quite the journey with it.

Recently after converting front/rear turn signals and headlight to led, I’ve had a battery drain issue while riding to the point of the bike dying. I know when it’s going to happen because the gauge goes crazy and then eventually the bike starts to get underpowered and die. Originally I changed the stator and then recently put a mosfet rectifier on it and in between all of that I’ve been through 3 batteries and still I’m having this issue.

Any thoughts?

Why not put the bike back to its original configuration, you say it happened after recently converting turn signals and headlights. Thats a big clue, was the bike ok after changing the stator and rectifier, are you able to insert an ammeter to see whats going on?, Im not familiar with the mosfet rectifier but check its polarity to the battery is correct. Measure the voltage across the battery to check it increases as the revs increase.

Because there’s no logical reason LEDs should be the cause and I’d rather not do rework if theres a solution. I’ve changed the stator and rectifier and still having this issue.

If I read it right the problem started when you fitted LEDs and then changed the r/r and stator to try to resolve the issue? In that case I would have thought that the problem is with the LEDs.

Because there’s no logical reason LEDs should be the cause and I’d rather not do rework if theres a solution. I’ve changed the stator and rectifier and still having this issue.

Wrong. There is a very logical reason.

You have CREATED your issue. Yet you are unwilling to recognize this.

Did you look at the wiring schematic for your motorcycle or did you just start hacking into your wiring loom?

(TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS INCLUDING WIRING DIAGRAMS ARE AVAILABLE TO SITE MEMBER DONORS BY USING THE DONATE TAB)

I don’t own your platform but I’m am positive part of your loom is CANBUS. If you carved into that part then this will cause major issues.

Also, for the life of me, I cannot understand why you felt compelled to change the stator in the first place. Based upon what diagnostic information?

Also, where did you get this part from? Piaggio/Moto Guzzi? Probably not. More likely eBay.

Then when this hack didn’t fix your issue, you doubled down and swapped out your stock voltage regulator for your aftermarket MOSFET one, which again I ask, where did you get your diagnostic information that this was a source of a problem? Also, is this an/another eBay part as well?

You have left out many critical details.

There is no way that anybody here can assist you with this issue because there simply is not enough information to work with.

Lastly, what did you mean by saying this below? There is even more missing information there I’m sure.

I bought brand new 2019 V7 III from the dealer a couple years ago and have been through quite the journey with it.

I’ve written on this topic a great deal. You are just the latest of individuals who has sabotaged your own wiring loom, causing your issues, and then looking for a miraculous answer from somebody here to tell you how to fix what you have destroyed. How do you think that would be possible? We cannot see what you have done!

Changing out your electrical system components without fully understanding your wiring is pointless. There are compatibility and wiring issues that have now bit you in the butt.

Your motorcycle is not like a bike from 1985. You cannot just grab any wire and tap into it. There will be issues as you have found.

I’m not trying to insult you or bust your chops here.

What I’m trying to get you to understand is that you have introduced MULTIPLE VARIABLES into this equation, and trying to solve it with the limited information you have provided, is absolutely impossible.

Unless you can elucidate entirely with reference to the wiring schematic, I cannot begin to guess at what you have done and I am a professional mechanic and I have been at this a long time!

In order to assist you here, you need to communicate more SPECIFICALLY what you have done here.

Last edited:
Sometimes, I count my blessings for being electronically ignorant and unwilling to tinker with anything connected to a wire except changing spark plugs and even that I approach with trepidation!

I hope that this thread continues to solving the problem. It's a bit of an education for me.

Ralph

There was a chap on one of the other forums with a problem with an old California that multiple people including myself tried to help.
However when he stared hacking into the loom and the multi pin plugs I for one backed away and that was before the advent of Canbus.
If things go pear shaped after you do something it makes good sense to undo what you did!

I went and re-read the schematic and it does indeed have a CANbus.

Why people feel absolutely compelled to take perfectly good OEM factory electrical parts off a motorcycle and replace them with aftermarket stuff, just boggles my mind. Then when their aftermarket junk doesn’t work, they think something is wrong with the motorcycle.

I will never understand this. Never.

Last edited:
Back