• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brembo issues on V100

Tebax

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Just reflecting on a long 4 days 1400 miles trip, I unfortunately hade some issues.
The cruise control sometimes disconnects, and friends on the journey told me that my brake light came on multiple times for apparently no obvious reason.
The thoughts were if I accidentally touch the foot brake without noticing it.
But investigating the riding position and sensitivity of the brake contact we could rule out this.
The following idea is that there came in water in the contact, messing with the brake light and consequently also the cruise control.
The long way home was mostly without rain, and I didn’t get any more incidents.
Will have to follow this up.

But the big concern was that I in at least three occasions got serious front brake problems.
And they came when I had to brake unexpectedly.
The fault can be describe like if the brake pads were not resting at the seat in the calipers.
So when I started braking there were no brake what so ever, then I squeezed harder and the brake pads sort of shaked and rattled and then at last settled in their resting positions in the calipers.
Then the brakes felt as normal again.
This was fortunately not totally close call situations, but not far off.
Quite dangerous!
Going downhills with only engine braking and some bumpy surfaces could perhaps triggered the fault with the brake pads on two occasions but definitely not the third one (which was in a big town at low speed when a car forced its way ignoring me on the bike).
Is this something other have experienced?
Anyone who knows their Brembo stuff and can give me some tips to check for?
Going back to the dealer they will probably just test ride and not experience the issue, and possibly charge me for the time.

Last edited:
I’d drop the Brembo line, and just say brake issue. Brembo is one of the best on the planet for brake systems. The ABS pump is not made by them. Definitely this is a dealer/warranty issue, so I’d start there. If the pads retract, that is an internal pressure issue unless there is a fluid leak somewhere. Keep us posted on your findings after a dealer visit. There should be no way (in hell) that they should charge you for anything.

I’d drop the Brembo line, and just say brake issue. Brembo is one of the best on the planet for brake systems. The ABS pump is not made by them. Definitely this is a dealer/warranty issue, so I’d start there. If the pads retract, that is an internal pressure issue unless there is a fluid leak somewhere. Keep us posted on your findings after a dealer visit. There should be no way (in hell) that they should charge you for anything.
Thanks for the reply!
Yes I know it was probably not a Brembo issue in itself, but I was deliberately careful to not label it as “V100 Mandello i-s-s-u-e”, because then it would adding to any negative rumors following the model and brand.
I didn’t know about the ABS pump, would have assumed it was Brembo just as the calipers and the master brake cylinder.

I will go to the dealer then, and having you professional POV of it is valuable if the dealer just wanna brush me off.
TBH I haven’t had any symptoms before, and I have driven about 4500km (2900miles) before the first incident.

Brembo brakes are in my opinion, the gold standard of motorcycle brakes. They manufacture everything from basic, rugged and reliable brakes to insanely expensive, top shelf World Superbike Competition Quality components. Brembo is to brakes as Aria is to helmets.

This being said, there is something amiss with your motorcycle as you have described your situation.

You need to visit your dealer and be calm and explain how on 3 occasions you have had to pump your brakes in order to generate braking force. Something in the hydraulics isn’t functioning correctly.

It will be interesting to finally read what they discover as it is really impossible to adequately diagnose and comment intelligently on your issue from afar.

Good Luck!

Hello from Italy,
I had the same brake pad gremlin....

While riding on some bumps the levere went free ath the first squeeze .
It happened in different trips, every time after bumps.

Probably the pads are shaken in the calipers and pulls the pistons back.

Mailed to Guzzi, they ask to visit a dealer.
The dealer think that could be the little spring holding the pads that has came loose (I really don't think that, in many years and km riding I never had or heard a brake spring loose....)

Hello from Italy,
I had the same brake pad gremlin....

While riding on some bumps the levere went free ath the first squeeze .
It happened in different trips, every time after bumps.

Probably the pads are shaken in the calipers and pulls the pistons back.

Mailed to Guzzi, they ask to visit a dealer.
The dealer think that could be the little spring holding the pads that has came loose (I really don't think that, in many years and km riding I never had or heard a brake spring loose....)
Thank you for that info.
I haven’t been at the dealer yet.
It’s been raining practically every day the last weeks here, and I haven’t been keen to go out in rain again with a clean bike.
However, that idea of possible fault is logical, even though not really expected.
But I will perhaps go to the garage and have a look to see if those pad springs are secure and tight (or not).

I must be dreaming because there are no springs on motorcycle brake pads.

They call spring (here in Italy) the part listed at n.3
It's not really a spring....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-09-15-32-09-32_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-09-15-32-09-32_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 33
The brake lights are operated by a switch on the back brake lever and by a rise in hydraulic pressure when the front brake is operated. As the problem is front brake and uncommanded brake light this would seem to point to the Continental hydraulic unit.

The brake lights are operated by a switch on the back brake lever and by a rise in hydraulic pressure when the front brake is operated. As the problem is front brake and uncommanded brake light this would seem to point to the Continental hydraulic unit.
Haven’t had the time to go visit the dealer yet, so no professional evaluation either.
But I did push myself for a long local Saturday trip a week ago to have some self time before the holiday was over.
I rode 120 miles and experienced no issues with the brakes, and the cruise control worked flawless.
But my thoughts are still that there are some mechanical issues with the front brake calipers that needs to be checked up, and the brake light/cruise control problem is likely water interfering with the a brake brake light switch.
But if it’s the front brake switch or the rear brake switch is still to be determined.

Too hectic at work so don’t know when I will find the time to visit the dealer in the nearest future.

While waiting to find time to visit the dealer, I just took a quick look when I parked the car today.
Does this look correct or not?
Those spring/plate clips looks weird sticking out upper side.
Tbh…should perhaps be able to analyze it if I took time and “rolled up the sleeves”, but no time just this evening.
But what do you think, looks correct or not?

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 30
While waiting to find time to visit the dealer, I just took a quick look when I parked the car today.
Does this look correct or not?
Those spring/plate clips looks weird sticking out upper side.
Tbh…should perhaps be able to analyze it if I took time and “rolled up the sleeves”, but no time just this evening.
But what do you think, looks correct or not?

The mounting are correct

I had more chance to try the brakes, and my suspect is that the strange feeling is the Continental ABS behaviour

Thanks for reply.
Can’t see the correlation between ”rattling” brake pads and ABS, especially with the total lack of brakes initially.
However I will go for a ride tomorrow with friends.
The few times I used the bike since the incidents, it haven’t occurred again.
If it does tomorrow, then it’s definitely a case to report to dealer asap.

Short update:
I have been in contact with the dealer, and they have so far been quick and interested to deal with it.
Within the same day they contacted Moto Guzzi (national branch in Sweden I guess) and even got a reply same day.
No other reported cases with the brakes, but also Moto Guzzi are keen to look into it, with suggestions of things to look at.
But of course mostly trying to confirm as much as they can from me.
Describing the case and rule out all external conditions.
No cases reported neither from Brembo or Bosch they say.
But two suggestions were mentioned; to take apart the brakes to see the hard parts fitted correctly, and to connect the ABS system and check and test all valves etc.
I don’t know about the ABS, it feels to be a stretch to have those symptoms with mechanical “clunks”.
Anyhow, the chief mechanic at the dealer is having holidays a few week from now, so let’s see how the bike is behaving the weeks to come.
I am so far getting a good support.

Back