• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 - broken rear shock conrod

Gazdok

Cruisin' Guzzisti
2. Thread tonight.
When I was looking at my rear brake I thought I was not looking properly. My conrod seemed to have a funny shape. Lying under the bike with light the conrod had cracked fully on the right side. I do not know when this might have happened and how long I had been going round with just half a conrod linkage.
I ordered a new one, put extra grease into the bearing which seemed economically filled with grease, fitted it and the bike rides o.k. - no different from a couple of days ago when I noticed the cracked conrod.

Is this a common thing or was I just unlucky.

20240220 164019

Always start with a search. Not directly applicable link below, so maybe just bad luck. Worth a check with your importer.

I now remember that the recall was only for the double conrod/dog bone #3 (GU05560330), not the single con rod/wishbone #14 (GU05562430).

CARC Susp Link

I did a search for conrod and broken conrod and got lot of links to engine conrods, but thanks for the link. Googling this recall now my VIN doe not seem to be affected.

From what I can see in the photo albeit very blurry, it looks almost precisely like corrosion and stiction are your proximate cause.

Time and again we see here on GT, images of motorcycles from the UK, that just have been seriously beat up by the English weather.

If you have never disassembled that linkage before to grease it, all it takes is just enough stiction to work against a sudden major blow to the rear suspension, and that thin rod will snap exactly like yours did.

I do not believe this is an inherent problem or being “unlucky” but rather one of lack of maintenance and proper lubrication.

In fact, this is WELL DOCUMENTED in both the Owner’s Manual and the Service Manual as a required service at least every 2 years. Your motorcycle should have had that component serviced at least 5+ times by now.

Owners Manual Reference: (Suspension)

IMG 3897

Service Manual (Suspension):

IMG 3896

Almost without exception, every Moto Guzzi that came into my shop for service or repairs, the owners freely admitted that they were “unaware” that there was such an extensive amount of maintenance items requiring periodic service because they NEVER actually ever read the REQUIRED MAINTENANCE section of their Owner’s Manual.

It’s highly likely that yours falls into this exact category as well.

European motorcycles will last literally almost forever, IF you perform maintenance ON SCHEDULE religiously.

Unfortunately again, most Moto Guzzi maintenance is only “maintenance by crisis” such as this.

It has always struck me as peculiar that BMW and Ducati owners are 10x more fastidious at keeping up with maintenance as opposed to Moto Guzzi owners. I’ve never been able to wrap my head around that.

Now you really know why this happened.

Had it been disconnected, cleaned and molybdenum grease been applied to both inner sides of the linkage supports and the bearing, as well as the top eyelet, 5+ times by now, I am 100% positive that this would never have happened.

PLEASE…do not presume to think that I am saying this as a pejorative to you. I am not.

I am just extremely blunt and do not candy coat my answers to these types of questions. I tell people, the unvarnished TRUTH. Even in my Signature at the end of every post I make, it says, ”Very direct and to the point individual. I do not candy coat stuff.”

In your case here, I am simply postulating out loud, that lack of maintenance due to ignorance (this DOES NOT IMPLY STUPIDITY WHATSOEVER ) of the necessity of it, is the single most common cause of equipment failures like this.

Going forward from here, I encourage you to read both manuals paying particular attention to Scheduled Maintenance items and now perform PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE as opposed to repairs by crisis. You will enjoy trouble free operation and your motorcycle will last much longer than you realize.

I hope this helps you out. 👌👍🙏

Last edited:
To support my point, I offer this post by our member Chris Jessop.

If you have never read this post, it is enlightening and inspirational at just what a Moto Guzzi can achieve in terms of longevity

Both he and his wife have insane mileage on their Breva motorcycles.

Also, I personally replaced the fuel injectors in Bill Hagan’s 107,000+ miles, V11EV.

Preventative maintenance is EVERYTHING on a Moto Guzzi motorcycle and it pays off dividends in spades!😀👌👍

Last edited:
One Griso 11 and one Breva 11, 2006. Both have 110K km. Over the years, rear suspension linkages have been re-packed once and recently swing arm bearings replaced and of course greased. They were both in need of attention. I ride through the winter with salt on the roads on Canadas west coast. Once you get it repaired and re-packed with good grease, you should be good for a long time, but it does need attention.

I have had the Breva since 2006 but have only done just over 30000M. I have the maintenance schedule and I have regreased the needle bearings a couple of years ago. The new wishbone has also been repacked with grease.

I do ride through the winter and there is definitely salt on the roads but I try and clean regularly, but I know that this still gives the salt time to work on the bike.

Havin done the linkage on both, and the swing-arm bearings as well, it seems the lack of grease from assembly has more to do with water getting in, causing corrosion, rather than wear from lack of lubrication, as there is so little movement in these bearings.
My focus was to make sure I got lots of grease in there.
Pleasant work giving great peace of mind. Yours must have been an accidental break, if the wishbone etc. was still moving freely.
I use a product called "SaltAway". You may find it on line (Amazon?).

Back