• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cali EV 2006 no spark, no fuel but plenty of fault finding!

tddeacon

Just got it firing!
I have had problems before with fuelling and used this forum with great results about 6 years ago. I learnt a lot then.
But this time, even applying that previous knowledge and reading everything I can find on this forum, I am stumped.

Symptoms: No spark when cranking and pump not priming.
Key on, lights come on, oil level and neutral lights okay. Engine stop switch is correctly set - I never use it anyway.
Problem started after I serviced (oil, filters, plugs like for like) but not immediately - a couple of rides later. Set out for venue and bike hesitated to start which is very unusual.
Ran okay to venue and parked up. When trying to start to return home, pump primed but no spark. Took the tank off and checked for fuel being pumped - it was. Cranked over okay, battery strong. Checked connections, especially fuel pump leads. Got relayed home, sob (embarrassed too!)

Now at home and over several days this what I have checked/done:
Charged battery.
Connected Power commander to check for fault codes - connects and shows none. Does show throttle and advance.
Checked and sprayed engine off switch
Removed and measured resistance of coils - both the same primary and secondary.
Removed, cleaned and measured resistance of TPS - about 700ohms which others have measured so not a candidate.
Removed and checked continuity of side stand cut off switch. A bit flaky if pressed all the way in so removed and tried with and without completing the circuit on the two wires connecting. Replaced the cut off switch. Bike is on the centre stand throughout this.
Now the pump is not priming but not sure this is related and have been careful not to short anything so getting worse.
Removed and cleaned and resistance checked the relays for pump/timing and ecu. Both showing same reading which matches with a 3rd relay so not faulty, probably.
I can hear a click when I key on which is when I would expect the pump to prime but doesn't.

Starting to think this is the ECU but I don't know how to check it - anyone?

Check fuses and relays. If no fuel pump, she won't run. I did a house call on a bike with similar problem. Found a fuse that looked OK, but wasn't. Took me about 10 minutes. Replaced the fuse and the bike started right up. BTW, ECU is the least likely failure. If you can confirm that power is getting to the fuel pump. If not, chase that circuit.

Replacing the relays is a job worth doing as they are all corroded and nice to have a spare! I need spare fuses anyway. Tracing the pump line is a good idea

Happy news. Replacing all the relays and one 5Amp fuse has fixed the issue. Fired up no problem. Had to wait a whole week for the relays to turn up as I mistakenly ordered from Germany although in my defence the site was .co.uk. another lesson learned, sigh.
So, much more familiar with fault finding now and bike is back on the road. Bliss.

Happy news. Replacing all the relays and one 5Amp fuse has fixed the issue. Fired up no problem. Had to wait a whole week for the relays to turn up as I mistakenly ordered from Germany although in my defence the site was .co.uk. another lesson learned, sigh.
So, much more familiar with fault finding now and bike is back on the road. Bliss.
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Find what isn't working first. Throwing parts at it is not how to correct a problem.

I agree. But.... Not the worst technique, throwing cheap parts on a 45 yr old bike won't hurt. Actually my 54 yr old bike. Many need replacing eventually.

Last edited:
Does anybody here have any respect for the words of wisdom of the veteran PROFESSIONAL MECHANICS here who offer their aid and words of wisdom FOR FREE?

John gave you THE ANSWER the same day for crying out loud…

I for one am getting sick of the snarkiness of people who ask for answers, get them, who then cannot resist themselves, or a member of the peanut gallery, from making some stupid ass comment.

That is THE FASTEST way to get me to ignore you forever.

My 70 CB750 hasn't run in years. No start. Well, the plugs were crusty, I could have cleaned them as usual. But I replaced.. the points could have been dressed one more time , but were thin so replaced.. Coils were probably okay, but both had big crackes , the wires were suspect, replaced, like the plug wires, so got new ones. Ennyhoo, now I don't have to worry about stranded.. :rock:
Fuel filter maybe okay, but replaced.

Not so an expensive endeavor....

Last edited:
Back